What to do?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

(As I've mentioned before...sorry for repeating)

It has been suggested to me (by a housemate who was studying spectrum disorders for her career) that I get checked for Asperger's. I understand that I do tick a lot of boxes: I make up my own social rules, I feel uncomfortable with eye contact, I don't empathise well, I have a fairly hard-edged comfort zone, plus others.

But I have never been diagnosed because I don't want to have a label put on what I consider to be my personality. Asperger's is a syndrome, a disorder, and it would be unpleasant to be told that my mind - my 'me' - is broken or wrong (not that I'd accept that...being able to dismiss societal convention is quite useful). I have had, and continue to have, a fairly happy and care-free life by just being me. My disorder (if it exists...I could just be 'quirky') is not a layer between 'me' and the world, it's a part of 'me' and doesn't need a name.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I think it is in the child's best interest to have an official diagnosis of Aspergers or Autism, if that is in fact the case.  And not to even mention the interest of the rest of the family.

As @LuttiS said above, if it comes to that, then everyone knows and special arrangements can and have to be made to help that child achieve his or her full potential.

But yes - it's a difficult one - some parents don't want to hear or accept the reality of it all when it happens.  Ignoring it won't help anyone in the long run, though.

Also remember that the subject of Aspergers and Autism is quite complicated.  You really need the professionals to evaluate each individual case before jumping to conclusions.
      If it was a self-diagnosing, box ticking exercise, I'd put myself firmly on the spectrum, too, in many ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I was just about to say what @bodhi said.  If you do anything you would need to steer them gently towards a professional diagnosis rather than attempt to have them take your word for it.  I appreciate this is probably what you meant though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Am worried by the dismissive tone of "she has OCD", as if OCD isn't something that in and of itself requires attention.
    Unless, that is, they are using OCD as shorthand for "she likes things to be neat and ordered", which is not OCD at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited August 2017
    Am worried by the dismissive tone of "she has OCD", as if OCD isn't something that in and of itself requires attention.
    Unless, that is, they are using OCD as shorthand for "she likes things to be neat and ordered", which is not OCD at all.
    Wisdom. OCD and autism are also very different things. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    There are no doctors here, and most of the advice in this thread is fucking idiotic. Have a family discussion and get some sort of real professional diagnosis.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    boogieman said:
    Am worried by the dismissive tone of "she has OCD", as if OCD isn't something that in and of itself requires attention.
    True, all different things, but things that meaningful help can be sought for.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16722
    Drew_TNBD said:
    There are no doctors here, and most of the advice in this thread is fucking idiotic. Have a family discussion and get some sort of real professional diagnosis.

Wasn't that what a lot of the advice in this thread advocated?   does that make your advice  "fucking idiotic"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Wasn't that what a lot of the advice in this thread advocated?   does that make your advice  "fucking idiotic"?
    Yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    This forum does actually have members who are qualified medical doctors.

Advice is advice.  In this case asked for, freely given, and freely to be taken on board or discarded.
    bodhi said:
    What kind of PRS's do they play?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6500
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    bodhi said:
    What kind of PRS's do they play?
    pffft, they don't PLAY them! They hang them on the wall.*

*don't worry, all the case candy is kept safely wrapped up for when they inevitably sell the guitar when they get golf club GAS

Drew_TNBD said:
    WezV said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Yes.

As long as we are all agreed :)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    sometimes a close family member, or group of family members, can help parents face reality.

Key there is "close", you need to be able to do it tactfully, some parents don't want to face reality though, so bare that in mind.

My daughter, now 8 years old, is profoundly disabled due to genetic mutation, the GP were utterly useless at the start and put all the issues down to diet and an anxious first time mum, it was only after my wifes mother and aunt took her to the doctor that the ball got rolling properly.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    sometimes a close family member, or group of family members, can help parents face reality.

Key there is "close", you need to be able to do it tactfully, some parents don't want to face reality though, so bare that in mind.

+wis.  If you can't be tactful, be quiet.

If it's necessary to talk about the problem with someone, just stick to the grandparents (if they're around). The parents of the kid will be used to lectures from them.

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    boogieman said:
    Not very different things. OCD is a common symptom of Asperger's.
    i should probably highlght at this point that i grew up with a very minor disability which was seen as a behavioural problem when i was young ("he's just lazy") and then became a big deal with lots of teachers trying to do stuff for me once i had a diagnosis. ... it was kinda embarrassing and i really could have done without it