Why have all the guitars I want...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Depends on its weight...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8546
    I also seem to want limited edition colours too late. Anyone want to sell me a gold-top Guild M-75 Aristocrat?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14609
    edited August 2017
    Jetfire said:
    Depends on its weight.
    I disagree. Of course, if anyone can show a demonstrable and repeatable correlation between guitar weight and tone, I will happily defer to them on this point.

In my opinion, the critical factor is not weight but mechanical resonance.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    ....i was joking ;)
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    edited August 2017
    In my experience.You can guarantee they will turn up S/H after your tastes have changed or when you are totally skint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    The jim root is a different body shape 
    So, take a surform to the rim of yo' Fender Blacktop Stratocaster then, whack in a pair of EMG humbuckers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    ICBM said:
    Just keep a look out on Ebay etc. None of these are impossibly rare - the Tom Delonge is actually reasonably common. Unfortunately it wouldn't be easy to use as the basis for a different hardtail project since there's no standard pickup/control rout.
    Well I was wrong about that! I was working on one yesterday evening and it *did* have a full Strat rout.

I've also definitely worked on others which didn't, but what I now can't remember is whether they were the Fender or the Squier version. It's possible they were Squiers, in which case the two are different. Or that the Fender version has been made differently at some points…

It's very easy to tell, if you come across one - if the pickguard sounds hollow when you tap it in the neck/middle pickup positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    *sigh* I know this one... Now gassing over a Fender Cyclone II. Plenty of the other variants around but not the three pickup striped version. 
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    it wouldn't be easy to use as the basis for a different hardtail project since there's no standard pickup/control rout.
    Well I was wrong about that! I was working on one yesterday evening and it *did* have a full Strat rout.

I've also definitely worked on others which didn't, but what I now can't remember is whether they were the Fender or the Squier version. 
    The Squier TDL Strat has a minimalist rout. I cannot recall how the MIM Fender version is routed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72761
    Funkfingers said:

The Squier TDL Strat has a minimalist rout. I cannot recall how the MIM Fender version is routed.
    That may be it. This one was definitely a MIM Fender and has the full rout - useful, since the owner finds the volume knob gets in the way and wants it moving.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein