Fender Bassman

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
edited August 2017 in Amps

Hmm.  I've just decided it might be a good idea to hunt a Bassman down.   I would like some more mids than my princeton and more spread.

What's it like owning a Bassman, any negatives?  They don't seem to heavy, 24kg.    I've played a blues deville 4x10 and that was nice.    What are the Fender reissue Bassmans like?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7880
    Go for an old one.  Are you after blackface or Tweed, head or combo?
  • I had a 90s one that was heavier than an ac30 and more awkward to move due to being taller. Wonderful though 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 863
    The model you describe sounds a little girly........
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    newi123 said:
    The model you describe sounds a little girly........
    Yeah noticed that.  Fat fingers!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

TheMarlin said:
    Go for an old one.  Are you after blackface or Tweed, head or combo?
    Tweed combo was my thought.  An old one would probably cost a fortune would it not?
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    bassman is my fave fender amp, i use a 64 blonde head and 2x12 cab, best amp  i have had for my rockabilly band, I like the blues deville too great band for buck from them, you missed a stupidly cheap tweed bassman reissue on here the other week, The reissue bassmans are good sounding amps unless you have about 6 grand then you can get an original one!
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Have you heard this?   
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Sounds horrible to me.......fuzzy,and flabby with electronic synthesiser overtones 
    but what do I know ,perhaps this is what a lot of people like
    One mans meat I guess
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    Can you turn it up wherever you're going to use it? The reissue 4x10s are loud!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 863
    Played an early reissue 4x10 at a local rehearsal room. Sounded fab - either cranked (although too loud then) or else with a pedal. Surprisingly compact and light too I thought! Would love one......  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    @miserneil had one recently but had issues with volume IIRC 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Do they actually sound any good if you put a bass through them??
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    I knew a player who used a re-issue in conjunction with 1x15 SS bass combo. He used it with the lows rolled off to add some upper end warmth. Apparently a nice tone but I never saw the rig in action myself.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @miserneil had one recently but had issues with volume IIRC 
    I did indeed Richard, I think mine was the stupidly cheap one that @leerocker mentioned (which is probably why it sold within an hour!).

Beautiful cleans and lovely break up tones but you need to crank it to get the grind and it becomes far too loud in a normal band situation. I don't use pedals for dirt, I want it to come from the amp, so for me it was not suitable. Actually, a 20w version would be ideal. Anyone make anything like that?

I didn't find it heavy or awkward to move, I thought it was surprisingly light given the size....although I am used to a BadCat....and I'm of impeccable muscle tone and strength, not to mention exquisite good looks and modesty.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Can you turn it up wherever you're going to use it? The reissue 4x10s are loud!

Yes, by varying degrees, but would use a pedal. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Can you turn it up wherever you're going to use it?
    Yes, if you use an attenuator - although it's not as easy as with a lot of amps because of the speakers being connected with separate RCA plugs. You'll need a custom cable and connection box.

They're OK for a very trad country/blues type of sound, although not loud - you *might* be able to gig one on a modern 'quiet' stage, but unless it's a tiny room it will definitely need to be mic'ed as well. They sound nice at low volume though, so one would be a good choice for a guitarist who occasionally plays bass at home.

For what it's worth, the reason the speakers are each connected with their own separate RCA plug is because the originals blew one or two about every gig, so Fender intentionally made them as easy as possible to replace! They supplied the speakers with the cable and plug already soldered on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited August 2017
    Had an unhappy experience with a 2007 59 LTD. Looked great, smelled great but was ice-picky at anything past 4 and had no Grrrr unless pedalled-up. The Jangly Swirl was nice though.

In the end, my Pignose G40 (same circuit but with master) had that brown sound aplenty and made the Bassman redundant - I traded the 59 for a 57 Deluxe and now have best of both...

http://i57.tinypic.com/25tw8ds.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

They're OK for a very trad country/blues type of sound, although not loud - you *might* be able to gig one on a modern 'quiet' stage, but unless it's a tiny room it will definitely need to be mic'ed as well. They sound nice at low volume though, so one would be a good choice for a guitarist who occasionally plays bass at home.

For what it's worth, the reason the speakers are each connected with their own separate RCA plug is because the originals blew one or two about every gig, so Fender intentionally made them as easy as possible to replace! They supplied the speakers with the cable and plug already soldered on.
    Hmmmm. I'm going to have to build a Bass patch on my Helix and use the Bassman amp model with a suitable cab combo and see what it's like.

At least Line 6 didn't model the speakers blowing every gig ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Bridgehouse said:

I'm going to have to build a Bass patch on my Helix and use the Bassman amp model with a suitable cab combo and see what it's like.
    Is it a Tweed Bassman or a Blonde/Blackface Bassman model?

They are totally different amps. Almost the only things they have in common are the name and the valve types. There's a fair difference between the Blonde and Blackface too, but they're much more similar than either are to the Tweed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

I'm going to have to build a Bass patch on my Helix and use the Bassman amp model with a suitable cab combo and see what it's like.
    Is it a Tweed Bassman or a Blonde/Blackface Bassman model?

They are totally different amps. Almost the only things they have in common are the name and the valve types. There's a fair difference between the Blonde and Blackface too, but they're much more similar than either are to the Tweed.
    It's a 58 Tweed with no master, with 4x10 Jensen alnicos...