Fender Bassman

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Bridgehouse said:

It's a 58 Tweed with no master, with 4x10 Jensen alnicos... 
    How odd that they didn't pick the definitive Tweed Bassman - the '59 5F6-A.

There are a couple of other odd model choices I've noticed in the Line 6 amp models as well - for example a Mesa Trem-o-verb (much as I love those :) ) instead of the classic Dual Rectifier. They don't sound the same either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7880
    My two favourite Bassman are the 6G6-B and AA864. 
    Best of blonde, best of blackface 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

It's a 58 Tweed with no master, with 4x10 Jensen alnicos... 
    How odd that they didn't pick the definitive Tweed Bassman - the '59 5F6-A.

There are a couple of other odd model choices I've noticed in the Line 6 amp models as well - for example a Mesa Trem-o-verb (much as I love those :) ) instead of the classic Dual Rectifier. They don't sound the same either.
    It's a nice model either way... I'll try bass and let you know
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    TheMarlin said:
    My two favourite Bassman are the 6G6-B and AA864. 
    Best of blonde, best of blackface 
    Yes, I agree. And as an actual bass amp, the Bassman 135 - preferably fitted with 6550s - is actually pretty good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had a tweed 59 re-issue a few years back, sounded fabulous.

Eventually sold it for more than I paid for it, to buy an ancient beat up Tweed Fender Champ which is great..... Its no Bassman though.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 756
    miserneil said:
    @miserneil had one recently but had issues with volume IIRC 
    I did indeed Richard, I think mine was the stupidly cheap one that @leerocker mentioned (which is probably why it sold within an hour!).

Beautiful cleans and lovely break up tones but you need to crank it to get the grind and it becomes far too loud in a normal band situation. I don't use pedals for dirt, I want it to come from the amp, so for me it was not suitable. Actually, a 20w version would be ideal. Anyone make anything like that?

I didn't find it heavy or awkward to move, I thought it was surprisingly light given the size....although I am used to a BadCat....and I'm of impeccable muscle tone and strength, not to mention exquisite good looks and modesty.
    MJW makes/made a JTM45-style (i.e. Tweed Bassman) amp called the V6 which is 20 watts from two 6v6s. I had my MJW Roadstar-sorta-thing rebuilt as a 15w version of this. With an efficient speaker (Cannabis Rex) it's still generally too loud to get overdriven in most situations (though it's lovely when you do). Great clean platform though - my Timmy sounds monster with it and it's not particularly picky with pedals. 

I am considering converting to a less efficient 10 inch speaker to tighten the lows and allow some more drive. I'm the only guitarist in my band though - I'm confident that it and the C.Rex would stand up to any combo save a twin in a two guitar band.