The Edge: fender amps?!

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 747
edited August 2017 in Guitar
So the man did change his rig from vox to fender amps. Still sounding good thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVU5P9L6QhU
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    No, but he is on the Board at Fender I think B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    tone1 said:
    No, but he is on the Board at Fender I think B)
    Playing a Gibson guitar though .... tbh it doesn't sound like classic Edge ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's used both for years 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    fnpt said:
    So the man did change his rig from vox to fender amps. Still sounding good thought:

Look hard .. the Vox amps are below ... look 8 seconds into this vid .. much better Edge tone ...

Classic Edge tone here ..

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    He's using 5 Fractals in a rack. I'm sure there's a Vox in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 747
    Fretwired said:
    fnpt said:

Look hard .. the Vox amps are below ... look 8 seconds into this vid .. much better Edge tone ...

Yep, missed it on the electric co vid. Is he blending the amps or are the fender amps just for show?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    fnpt said:

Yep, missed it on the electric co vid. Is he blending the amps or are the fender amps just for show?
    Vox could be for classic tracks and Fender for newer stuff .. I really don't know.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    U2 so fuckin boring 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    @capo4th ... wrong as usual. Don't know what it is about U2 that turns fools into trolls.  ;)

I'm going to guess the two AC30s are getting stereo effects from the axe setup, and the three fenders are blended in as and when... possibly in different numbers and volumes song/ sound dependent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24846
    capo4th said:
    U2 so fuckin boring 
    No - at their best they were/are truly wonderful....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26732
    I'm really coming round to the whole clean-Fender-preamp-and-dirt-pedal thing. I've got the AMT F-1, which is supposed to be the preamp from the Twin, plugged either direct into my interface for recording or into the effects return of my Jet City amp(s)...and I play heavy-rock-verging-on-metal through it with the Bogner Ecstasy Red.

I won't lie...it's objectively the best sound I've ever had. Almost makes me want to try a Twin...
    <space for hire>
  • I'm really coming round to the whole clean-Fender-preamp-and-dirt-pedal thing. I've got the AMT F-1, which is supposed to be the preamp from the Twin, plugged either direct into my interface for recording or into the effects return of my Jet City amp(s)...and I play heavy-rock-verging-on-metal through it with the Bogner Ecstasy Red.

I won't lie...it's objectively the best sound I've ever had. Almost makes me want to try a Twin...
    Heavy dude!!!!!

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    He uses so many effects he could probably play through a stack of Boss Katanas and it would sound the same.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    Cirrus said:
    @capo4th ... wrong as usual. Don't know what it is about U2 that turns fools into trolls.  ;)

I'm going to guess the two AC30s are getting stereo effects from the axe setup, and the three fenders are blended in as and when... possibly in different numbers and volumes song/ sound dependent.
    I'm not sure The Edge uses stereo. I doesn't make sense in the stadiums they play with sound projection around 360 degrees

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'm not sure The Edge uses stereo. I doesn't make sense in the stadiums they play with sound projection around 360 degrees
    Stereo, dual mono... I guess we won't know unless we get on that stage or ask him. I'm sure at times in the past his patches have frequently involved split signals going through separate delay units where one amp gets a certain delay time and the other amp gets a few ms off or a totally different note interval. What the F.O.H. does with those two signals, I have no idea. But to the Edge standing on stage with two main guitar amps behind him, the effect is, to some extent, stereo.

FWIW, on the 360 tour there were basically 4x stereo hanging line arrays doing the bulk of the work, each set up to cover one quadrant of the circle, with smaller speakers to cover the gaps up close. I don't know if each quadrant was run in stereo or not.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited August 2017
    Larry Mullen is one of my bass playing heroes.

I am very much in the less is more camp for bass playing, and the fact he gets away with 4 notes throughout With or Without You and pulls it off so well shaped my playing style a lot.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I don't mind U2 but I prefer it when other people play their songs. For example, Jack White's version of Love Is Blindness is really good. 

I can't quite remember but in 'It Might Get Loud' I thinkthe Edge was using stereo. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006

I am very much in the lead is more camp for bass playing, and the fact he gets away with 4 notes throughout With or Without You and pulls it off so well shaped my playing style a lot.

At the risk of riding roughshod over a carefully constructed piece of double bluff, ironic genius, isn't Larry Mullen the drummer ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    DrBob said:

I am very much in the lead is more camp for bass playing, and the fact he gets away with 4 notes throughout With or Without You and pulls it off so well shaped my playing style a lot.

At the risk of riding roughshod over a carefully constructed piece of double bluff, ironic genius, isn't Larry Mullen the drummer ?

Yep. Either yer man was thinking of Adam Clayton, or else his joke was way too subtle for either of us.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.