The Edge: fender amps?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    edited August 2017
    He was using the same set up at Twickenham last month. Still sounded like Edge to me! As far as I'm aware he has used the Fender/Vox combo since the early 2000s.

I do agree that his driven sounds do sound different though, he has passed on a lot of processing to the Fractals.

2009 360 Tour - I believe most of this is now gone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Interesting photo I've like to understand all that stuffbut my brain isn't capable :)

Does anybody know if the battered Vox on top is THE Vox?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72564
    clarkefan said:

Does anybody know if the battered Vox on top is THE Vox?
    Yes, it's the 1964 one with the later - and from a normally undesirable production era - cabinet, hence the non-typical logo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• capo4th said:
    U2 so fuckin boring 
    No - at their best they were/are truly wonderful....
    True, though they haven't been at their best for 30 years.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    capo4th said:
    U2 so fuckin boring 
    Neither have the amps from the look of them
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited August 2017
    DrBob said:
    Larry Mullen is one of my bass playing heroes.

I am very much in the lead is more camp for bass playing, and the fact he gets away with 4 notes throughout With or Without You and pulls it off so well shaped my playing style a lot.

At the risk of riding roughshod over a carefully constructed piece of double bluff, ironic genius, isn't Larry Mullen the drummer ?

Yep. Either yer man was thinking of Adam Clayton, or else his joke was way too subtle for either of us.
    I really need to get a new 500k pot fitted to this fucking subtlety filter...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    Go for 50s wiring
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    slacker said:
    Go for 50s wiring
    I was gonna recover it in Tweed..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72564
    capo4th said:
    U2 so fuckin boring 
    I actually think some of their best songs are on All That You Can't Leave Behind - only 17 years ago - but I'd accept that it became quite patchy after that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Sassafras said:
    He uses so many effects he could probably play through a stack of Boss Katanas and it would sound the same.
    And other cliches ...
  • ICBM said:
    I actually think some of their best songs are on All That You Can't Leave Behind - only 17 years ago - but I'd accept that it became quite patchy after that.
    I thought the same up until their most recent album came out. I can't think of a band of their stature/heritage that has put out anything half as good in recent years. I know it got slated because of the rediculous way they released it, but there are some great tracks there IMO.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    I agree entirely with ICBM. ATYCLB is as good as JT and AB for me. 

The three since have all had good moments, but none have been properly great overall.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10453
    For me some of the best tones were on the Unforgettable Fire, absolutely brilliant guitar player. 

I really don't get why Hendrix can use a shitload of effects and no one bats an eyelid yet The Edge use's delay in a really creative original way (since widely copied) and people think he's nothing without effects !!

Personally I think The Edge had more influence over the way I play guitar than anyone else  

As for Fender I'm about to lug a hardcased Fender Twin out of the van and into a car to do a Wedding gig tonight. Great clean tones if used with  a compressor and a superb drive channel. Shame the things are so heavy. Last week I used a Vox AC15 at a big festival. It was the hand wired one and I got some pretty decent U2 tones out of that by driving it quite hard with the delay before gain type thing 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited August 2017
    I hope they are stable and don't inadvertently fall off the stage...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>