Help me fix neck dive (SG)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Put another strap on the guitar but step on it with your right foot like its a stirrup
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My eyes definitely need checking! :)

Nice buys dude, that tele deluxe...that's rather cool and have wondered  about the mini humbucker sg's myself. Enjoy!
    Both guitars sound lush, even when I play 'em!

I probably should get more pics up though. One each isn't doing them justice! The neck on the SG is a thing of beauty

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16754
    Put a Maestro Vibrola on it. Its mass was factored into the original weight distribution calculations at the design stage.
    You got a source for that?  I think you might be giving Gibson too much credit ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    Are the G Force tuners really that light?  I've got an SG with the original Robot tuners from 2008 and it's farcically neck-heavy.  I dare say they've improved the design since, but I hate them.  If I keep the guitar I'll definitely put regular tuners on it at some point.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Return it to the shop. A neck heavy guitar is not fit for purpose. It should not be necessary for the new owner to correct a known problem that Gibson created....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Get a friend to hold the arse end strap button while you're playing.

B) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited August 2017
    bbill335 said:
    Wear it higher - like REALLY high.
    This has the added advantage of making most people who see you think that you are a genius before you even play a note.

• Rocker said:
    Return it to the shop. A neck heavy guitar is not fit for purpose. It should not be necessary for the new owner to correct a known problem that Gibson created....
    Is that really a thing? Can't see that going too well! Anyone tried? 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    Rocker said:
    I'd like to see someone try that at Richard's Guitars.  Definitely a topic for an emotional YouTube video...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Rocker said:

Did you ever wonder why Gibson fitted that vibrola nonsense thing on SGs? Any guitar that does not balance on a strap is badly designed. Return it. [I speak from experience, I got rid of my SG for that very reason].
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    My first "proper" guitar (back in the day when there was a huge difference) was a Gibson SG.  Being a lefty one as well I was thrilled.

Long story short I couldn't get past the neck diving. It dominated every thought of playing it. Sold and never missed it.

Life's too short for pissing about with crap like that, move it on, buy a Les Paul.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited August 2017
    I've already got a LP... This is something different. I may venture into the shop though as the tuners started buggering about today too. Might see if they've got anything decent second hand. I love the way this plays sat down but as soon as I stand up I'm concentrating on the neck. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Only play it sitting down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited August 2017
    Explorer perhaps? I always put those in the same box as SGs and Flying Vs, Gibsons that sound similar to each other, and not like a Les Paul. No problem with neck dive there
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    Put a big Velcro patch on your stomach and another on the guitar ..........dont even need a strap then
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Dominic said:
    Put a big Velcro patch on your stomach and another on the guitar ..........dont even need a strap then
    Or if you are a hairy bloke, just don't wear a shirt..
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader

I've already got a LP... This is something different. I may venture into the shop though as the tuners started buggering about today too. Might see if they've got anything decent second hand. I love the way this plays sat down but as soon as I stand up I'm concentrating on the neck. 

The grippy strap is your friend, as is binning the Mothercare Early Learning Tuners ... the weight is a factor (that'll provoke some mischief) ;-)
    I always try before I buy with SGs, and have never had one with dive because of that. Bought one sight unseen the other year ... but it was from Thomann so if it had dived I'd have sent it back.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 494
    Don't just accept "SGs are neck heavy, you just have to live with it". Mine (2016 Standard Trad) is perfectly balanced.

I did have a Korina Epiphone SG in the past that was neck heavy. Before I sold it I was going to get a heavy control cavity cover made up at a local fabricators. I was thinking a plate made of brass or steel would balance it up nicely.