Help me fix neck dive (SG)

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited August 2017 in Guitar
My new SG is lovely but, I suspect because of the G Force tuners and top horn position of the strap lock, it's a bit neck divey. 

Should I 

A) Move the straplock myself and fill the hole

B ) Take it back to the shop and ask them to do it so I don't invalidate my warranty

C) Live with it or do something else

I've toyed with the idea of getting a strap with more friction but I'm not convinced that will solve the balance issue when playing. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16758
    put a bigsby on it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    put a bigsby on it
    That's not the answer to everything! ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    WezV said:
    put a bigsby on it
    I was going to say put a useless weight in a cavity, but a Bigsby serves the same purpose.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's not too bad you could try a wide and grippy strap.  A 3" wide suede strap would be a good place to start, it'd not involve modifying the instrument in any way either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16758
    edited August 2017

its not even foolproof - SG's just want to dive sometimes.   The other obvious suggestion is to remove the G-force and replace with something lightweight.   Still no guarantees then, but doing that and adding a bigsby should do it

There isn't an ideal position for a strap button on an SG that stops neck dive.   I like it on the top horn  as it stops the guitar tipping forward  as much.  It needs to be closer to the 12th fret to stop neck dive

• rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    G-Force weighs next to fuck all so taking it off will make the most minute difference.

What about a few fishing weights on the strings between the bridge and the tail piece.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

its not even foolproof - SG's just want to dive sometimes.   The other obvious suggestion is to remove the G-force and replace with something lightweight.   Still no guarantees then, but doing that and adding a bigsby should do it

There isn't an ideal position for a strap button on an SG that stops neck dive.   I like it on the top horn  as it stops the guitar tipping forward  as much.  It needs to be closer to the 12th fret to stop neck dive

I'm getting used to it, It's an extra challenge that I'm coming to terms with but was just wondering if there's an easy fix. I'll maybe try a weight in a cavity but as a novice I like the ease of the tuners. If this is just an SG thing I'll just live with it. 

Cheers

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Wear it higher - like REALLY high - get one of those cheap leather planet waves straps with the suede backing. They're super grippy and kill most neck dive.
  • rlw said:
    G-Force weighs next to fuck all so taking it off will make the most minute difference.

What about a few fishing weights on the strings between the bridge and the tail piece.
    That's another option, cheers

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited August 2017
    Test it first.

Put some coins in a bag and then tape the bag to the butt end of your guitar strap.
    If it feels much better - and the extra weight is OK - that probably points you to the obvious solution. Have a dedicated strap for your SG and get someone clever (probably a woman) to sew the coins into the strap.

I like the traditional front strap position on an SG. I think the "swivel" on the strap button is part of the stage feel of an SG. I would imagine that your guitar will currently be neck heavy with the button in either position.
    I think the problem is worth solving. Even if only 1% of the effort produced by your fretting hand is being used to support the neck.....that is still too much effort.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Just add something in a neat looking pack to the guitar strap at the bridge end, will just look like you have a wireless pack on :D
  • I cured the neck dive on my SG by putting 5 or 6 torpedo shaped fishing weights in the control cavity. I put them in a small Ziploc bag and taped it up. I cut piece of soft cloth to go between the controls and the weights. It all fits snug without rattling around and it cured the neck dive. I also moved the strap button to the top horn but that was more down to personal preference. You need a right angled drill converter to do that.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72569
    underdog said:
    Just add something in a neat looking pack to the guitar strap at the bridge end, will just look like you have a wireless pack on :D
    Like a large brass belt buckle...

Someone I knew years ago did that, it worked perfectly. If I remember right it was a big ornate cowboy thing that said 'Calgary' on it, so presumably from the rodeo!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14567
    Put a Maestro Vibrola on it. Its mass was factored into the original weight distribution calculations at the design stage.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ICBM said:
    underdog said:
    Like a large brass belt buckle...

Someone I knew years ago did that, it worked perfectly. If I remember right it was a big ornate cowboy thing that said 'Calgary' on it, so presumably from the rodeo!

Seems the easiest solution to me, makes sense, though I couldn't go the cowboy decoration route myself :D
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    WezV said:
    put a bigsby on it
    That's not the answer to everything! ;)
    thats not the answer to anything (except how I ruined my guitar).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    The strap you use can make a lot of difference, a thin cheap plastic backed job will slip all night long. A thick leather strap complete with the rough hide back will be less prone to allowing the guitar to suddenly drop.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3260
    Unless I have totally missed something I don't recall seeing a ngd @Legionreturns, ;which means we need pics or all of this is the stuff of dreams and imagination. ;)
  • Unless I have totally missed something I don't recall seeing a ngd @Legionreturns, which means we need pics or all of this is the stuff of dreams and imagination. ;)
    You have indeed totally missed something...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/109472/ngd-x2-something-fun-and-twangy-and-something-loud#latest

Should have gone to specsavers... 

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3260
    My eyes definitely need checking! :)

Nice buys dude, that tele deluxe...that's rather cool and have wondered  about the mini humbucker sg's myself. Enjoy!