Gibson have p*ss*d me off

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
edited August 2017 in Guitar
Hi Guys,

I've predominantly always brought Gibsons because I like the way they feel and sound.

However the last couple I have bought have had tiny niggles however their hardcase's are complete junk!

Especially given that I've spent £3300 on a vos 58 es335 and the case on this is terrible: the case doesn't shut properly and the latches don't stay in place leaving one latch to keep it closed ans the guitar rattles around.

I contacted Gibson customer service on July 5th and a replacement would be fine yet I've just been informed I might have to wait over another month for it to be sent which would be fine but my belongings get collected and transported on this Tuesday for New Zealand.

I myself leave the uk in the second week of September.

I know a hardcase is to protect the guitar and I shouldn't make too much fuss as it comes with the guitar and I should buy an aftermarket one but the fact I've bought an expensive guitar and the hardcase does an ill job of protecting it makes my blood boil.

I would take it as hand luggage but that's saved for my 65 which is flying with me in the overhead locker.

Safe to say I've sent them a scaving reply and told them what I think.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I'd have bought a hiscox case and be done with it, that kind of peace of mind is worth a little coin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    That's not the point, it's like going to buy a brand new car and shelling out for new tyres afterwards.

The cases should be fit for purpose and they're not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    If it was a £500 guitar then fine I can live with it but considering I spent £3300 it's a joke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    I'd be pissed off that I'd bought a Gibson.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Think I'll be sticking to Gretsch's in future!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Why contact Gibson why not the shop you bought it from? It's their problem for 12 months and often far quicker turn around and more flexible than the manufacturer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    underdog said:
    Why contact Gibson why not the shop you bought it from? It's their problem for 12 months and often far quicker turn around and more flexible than the manufacturer.
    This
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    It does send out the subliminal message "our guitars aren't worthy of a good case."

And it's particularly significant for Gibson since the neck angle means the guitar requires a specific case design.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    underdog said:
    Because the shop is miles away and the last time I needed anything I ended up dealing with Gibson Customer Services because said shop was worse and they'd have to send the case away to their Manchester branch which again is no good to me.
    danban said:
    underdog said:
    Because the shop is miles away and the last time I needed anything I ended up dealing with Gibson Customer Services because said shop was worse and they'd have to send the case away to their Manchester branch which again is no good to me.

Sorry wasn't being arsey, just a shop is far more likely to offer a solution, especially when the alternative is you returning a guitar worth over 3 grand. If they had a similar model that used the same case I'm sure enough nagging would have got them to swap the case over and take up the issue with the faulty one with Gibson themselves.
    Problem is a lot of these box shifting firms have young kids who work for them whom don't care either way and the guitar itself is a cracker!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    danban said:
    Problem is a lot of these box shifting firms have young kids who work for them whom don't care either way and the guitar itself is a cracker!

Box shifters are even better, more chance they have a replacement case to hand, just stamp your feet until you speak to someone with the authority to get it swapped.

You don't have to give the guitar back, just as long as they think you might take it back it will be fine.

Or better still they give you a better case you wrap the old one up somewhere and keep it should you ever wish to sell.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Buy a Hiscox and sell the piece of crap Gibson case on Gumtree if you have time. It isn't good enough to put a £3K guitar in an aircraft hold anyway, even if the catches worked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    ICBM said:
    Buy a Hiscox and sell the piece of crap Gibson case on Gumtree if you have time. It isn't good enough to put a £3K guitar in an aircraft hold anyway, even if the catches worked.

Yeah buy a really good new case. Not a lot of money compared to the guitar.  A worthwhile investment for someone who travels with two decent guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Will have to buy a new case as no joy from P.M.T either.
  • The case for my "custom shop" 339 is pants. Does the job I s'pose though!
    I don't mind it being pants but the latch apart from the one with the key on are crap.

This is it closed
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I hope you finished your conversation with Gibson with the phrase "I rest my case"

Otherwise massive opportunity missed IMHO
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I hope you finished your conversation with Gibson with the phrase "I rest my case"

Otherwise massive opportunity missed IMHO
    I did mate but they probably won't get the irony, maybe they should photo this hard case with the New Custom Shop Gibson Oxford Grey Les Paul  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom