Are those new Gretsch Streamliners actually any good?

What's Hot
They had a massive buzz, huge review videos from gear4music, Dawsons, Andertons, etc. and everyone was raving - but it's all gone a bit quiet!  Thinking of the normal-sized hardtail (G2622).

I'm debating whether to go with that, or a 90's Sheraton for my "affordable" semi-hollow desires.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Yes they are very, very good. They also look cool as hell.
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    I prefer the electromatics, but yes, they do look very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7929
    edited August 2017
    The 2420 is the best of the bunch. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Yes.
    I've got one and after the nut was replaced with a bone nut that was cut to the right height it's a fabulous guitar to play.
    The build quality is stunning, not "For the price", but stunning all over anyway.
    It's flawless.

I'm not sure of the numbers on the model name,  I *think* it's a G2420.
    It's the big single cut shape but without the Bigsby and with the Chromatic tailpiece.

Now it's been set up by @SteveRobinson it plays like a Les Paul,  the action is so easy and expressive and that's on 10-52 strings.
    It's been a solid favourite from day 1.

I paid £120 for a hardcase and £65 for the set up including the bone nut, after paying £380 for the guitar brand new.
    I'm totally happy with it.
    Steve also fitted some Dunlop straplocks for me and I use a Heistercamp 'Iroqouis' Raw strap with it.

It's stunning.
     @darthed1981 and @Vinylfan have both seen it so maybe they've got something to say about it but I can't say enough good things about the Streamliner. 

If they're still going strong towards the end of next year I'm going to treat myself to my first ever Bigsby guitar and get the same model in the colour they call 'Gold dust'.

For £437 plus another full set up from Steve it's a real bargain. 

I'm sure there are better Gretsch models but this is all the Gretsch I could ever want.
    Even the pickups sound great and just do not need changing out for anything supposedly better.

Totally impressed.

Well done Gretsch. 
    :)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7070
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    I was amazed by the quality of @Alnico's guitar, even more when I learned how little it cost. I thought it was a £600 at least guitar.
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 303
    I tried the G2420T in some sort of gold that actually looked more green to me. Great guitar for the money. The build quality was flawless, very good attention to detail. I have a Power Jet Pro but honestly, I can't justify paying that much for another Japanese Gretsch. But the Streamliners are affordable and very good, maybe I'll get the 2420 one day.
    antonyiv said:
    I tried the G2420T in some sort of gold that actually looked more green to me. Great guitar for the money. The build quality was flawless, very good attention to detail. I have a Power Jet Pro but honestly, I can't justify paying that much for another Japanese Gretsch. But the Streamliners are affordable and very good, maybe I'll get the 2420 one day.
    That's the gold dust colour I mentioned. 
    I fell in love with that colour.
    I loved how different it is.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have the G2655T, it's a great guitar. I did have it up for sale because I wanted a Tele but changed my mind because I like the Gretsch too much! The only thing that might put you off that people have stated is that they don't sound "Gretschy" I personally couldn't give a toss and think it sounds good, the bridge pickup is a fantastic sounding thing! For the money you can't go wrong.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11875
    Alnico said:
    Yes.
    I've got one and after the nut was replaced with a bone nut that was cut to the right height it's a fabulous guitar to play.
    The build quality is stunning, not "For the price", but stunning all over anyway.
    It's flawless.

It's the big single cut shape but without the Bigsby and with the Chromatic tailpiece.

Now it's been set up by @SteveRobinson it plays like a Les Paul,  the action is so easy and expressive and that's on 10-52 strings.

I paid £120 for a hardcase and £65 for the set up including the bone nut, after paying £380 for the guitar brand new.
    Steve also fitted some Dunlop straplocks for me and I use a Heistercamp 'Iroqouis' Raw strap with it.

It's stunning.
     @darthed1981 and @Vinylfan have both seen it so maybe they've got something to say about it but I can't say enough good things about the Streamliner. 

If they're still going strong towards the end of next year I'm going to treat myself to my first ever Bigsby guitar and get the same model in the colour they call 'Gold dust'.

I'm sure there are better Gretsch models but this is all the Gretsch I could ever want.
    Even the pickups sound great and just do not need changing out for anything supposedly better.

Totally impressed.

Well done Gretsch. 
    I agree with @Alnico his is a nice one for sure.

I also tried one of the semi hollow and the sole reason I didn't buy it was I already have an Epi Dot, was totally spot on though.

Next time I was in the shop a guy was there with his girlfriend thinking of buying it and they were having the sweetest chat about how to put the money together.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Alnico said:
    Yes.
    It's flawless.

It's stunning.

Totally impressed.

Well done Gretsch. 
    I agree with @Alnico his is a nice one for sure.

I also tried one of the semi hollow and the sole reason I didn't buy it was I already have an Epi Dot, was totally spot on though.

Next time I was in the shop a guy was there with his girlfriend thinking of buying it and they were having the sweetest chat about how to put the money together.

They weren't a married couple then :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    On day 1 in the guitar shop.....

http://i.imgur.com/yIRWejs.jpg

All finished by Steve, .....Control knobs replaced with ebay items that cost £10 for a set of 4...........

http://i.imgur.com/L8bH7LE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X4RqL97.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EPQE09g.jpg

• That's a beauty.  What is the neck profile like?
  • I did a full set up on one a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. Very very well built guitar. 
    Very very well built guitar. 
    That's what impressed me the most about both Streamliners I tried, no rough edges at all really, beautifully built.

I might well sell me Epi Dot and get one of the Semis.
    Interestingly, this one has set off my GAS before, and often seen for approx £350, also a candidate for audition for anyone looking for a sexy semi (ahem)...

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Riviera-Custom-P93.aspx

For some reason Epiphone have a bad rep on the Fretboard, but I've never really played a bad one, and they usually look fantastic, if you like a traditional look.

It's actually really hard to buy a bad guitar these days, even the Bullet Squiers get rave reviews.  It's a great time to be into cheaper gear.
  • Interestingly, this one has set off my GAS before, and often seen for approx £350, also a candidate for audition for anyone looking for a sexy semi (ahem)...

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Riviera-Custom-P93.aspx

For some reason Epiphone have a bad rep on the Fretboard, but I've never really played a bad one, and they usually look fantastic, if you like a traditional look.

It's actually really hard to buy a bad guitar these days, even the Bullet Squiers get rave reviews.  It's a great time to be into cheaper gear.
    I don't think Epiphones reputation here is to do with the overall quality of the guitars- they tend to be well put together. 

The usual criticisms are
    1. Thick plasticy finish that sometimes feels sticky and unpleasant.
    2. The headstock. Where Squier use Fender shapes Epiphone often use something else. It's divisive. (Not an issue on hollowbodies- it's usually LPs that folk find offensive). 
    3. The pickups CAN be a bit muddy. This is obviously subjective and fairly easy to change. 

I'm looking for a hollowbodied guitar and will either get (budget depending) 
    G5420t- I've seen one locally secondhand
    G2420t
    Epiphone Century 66 (The non signature version of the James Bay signature model). 

I don't think Epiphones reputation here is to do with the overall quality of the guitars- they tend to be well put together. 

The usual criticisms are
    1. Thick plasticy finish that sometimes feels sticky and unpleasant.
    2. The headstock. Where Squier use Fender shapes Epiphone often use something else. It's divisive. (Not an issue on hollowbodies- it's usually LPs that folk find offensive). 
    3. The pickups CAN be a bit muddy. This is obviously subjective and fairly easy to change. 

I didn't mean to imply there were no legitimate reasons to dislike Epiphones, the sticky neck finish is in fact a reason I've moved away from them a bit, some people get them sanded down and I understand that.

The headstock thing I just do not get, never have, never will.  I only actually noticed the difference when I noticed people whinging about it on here, I had to go and look at the difference between my Epi and Gibson LP, and I thought "oh...errr...ok..."

The old Epi pickups can be muddy, agreed, though I've found it easy enough to dial out, and it suits some things (as far as I know the Epi Dot Josh Homme actually uses has stock pickups).  The new Probuckers are very decent balanced sounding pickups though.

All IMHO of course :)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    I tried one in store and was very impressed .No issues at all .It felt tight and  well made .I didnt buy one as I have a Pelham blue Midtown  but the little Jet club next  to it really struck a chord .Loved it. It  be burning a hole in my lust wallet .
    That's a beauty.  What is the neck profile like?
    Col.......honestly I'm holding it right now A/B with my strat and there's not much difference. 
    It's nowhere near thick.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1740
    Imo they are better value for money than the electromatics.