Your Favorite Bowie Guitarist

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
Im a huge Bowie fan and recently watched a documentary on Mick Ronson which got me to thinking - one of Bowie's many talents was choosing superb musical collaborators, particularly guitar players. He was no slouch on the guitar himself, of course (that's DB himself playing Rebel Rebel). Who do you rate as your personal favourite from Mick Ronson, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Earl Slick, Carlos Alomer, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc? And Gail Ann Dorsey is a fantastic bass player too. What era or sound of Bowie's gets you going?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24850
    I agree he had a gift for finding great talent to collaborate with.

For sheer weirdness - yet perfection within the contest of the song - I think Fripp could well be my favourite. The part on Fashion is possibly the ugliest piece of guitar playing ever but it makes the track for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited August 2017
    Earl Slick and Carlos Alomar.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I agree he had a gift for finding great talent to collaborate with.

For sheer weirdness - yet perfection within the contest of the song - I think Fripp could well be my favourite. The part on Fashion is possibly the ugliest piece of guitar playing ever but it makes the track for me.
    Good call. I was ten and had been playing guitar for about a year when I first heard Fashion. I couldn't even begin to understand how you could make a guitar sound like that! (still struggling with the idea now TBH!)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    And Adrian Belew live ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Fretwired Cheers for that. Never seen it before. Great song. Belew brilliant, as always.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6182
    Simple. Ronson. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited August 2017
    Favourite for work with Bowie: Carlos Alomar.
    Favourite for the rest of their work: David Torn.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Hard to pick a favourite, Bowie picked his sidemen to suit the project in hand.That said I love Man Who Sold era Ronson, he really shines on that record and ones following. Slick seemed a perfect foil for Bowie's more dope outings and Alomar for his rhythmic invention. Bowie always had a great ear for a guitar player.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Mick Ronson.
    I've just find this - some of the very people we're talking about

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I've got a soft spot for Reeves Gabrels' work on Tin Machine. Perhaps I should be posting this in the under-appreciated guitarists discussion, or indeed the non-harmful-but-unpopular-opinions-which-other-people-will-despise-you-for Twitter thread which is running at the moment ;-)
    bigjon said:
    I've got a soft spot for Reeves Gabrels' work on Tin Machine. Perhaps I should be posting this in the under-appreciated guitarists discussion, or indeed the non-harmful-but-unpopular-opinions-which-other-people-will-despise-you-for Twitter thread which is running at the moment ;-)
    Tin Machine was the best music Bowie produced from 83-93 IMO. And yes - Gabrels made me want to buy a Steinberger, which I see are only about £200-300 now.
  • Brian May

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Mick Ronson.

I did also like SRV on Let's Dance - in fact it's my favourite work of his. Also don't forget Nile Rodgers played a bit on Let's Dance...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    AlexC said:
    bigjon said:
    Tin Machine was the best music Bowie produced from 83-93 IMO. And yes - Gabrels made me want to buy a Steinberger, which I see are only about £200-300 .

I think you'll find genuine Steinbergers are a lot more than that. The Hohner Spirit clones are about that price but not really a patch on a proper Steinberger. 

Personally I'd go for him "discovering" SRV as my favourite Bowie guitarist but it depends on the period. He had a genius for finding the right musicians for the sound he was creating. 
  • Mick Ronson gets my vote
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    edited August 2017
    All of the obvious candidates have already been mentioned so I am going to say Trent Reznor for "I'm Afraid Of Americans"
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Can't get past Ronno. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Reeves Gabrels for me, blended all of the insanity of Belew and Slick with the sensibility of Ronson
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    equalsql said:
    Simple. Ronson. 
    David Bowie was the best vocalist Mick Ronson played with.