Helix Native

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    There are now Vox and Aux presets in the Templates section if you don't normally venture there

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The trial version comes with no presets - to get presets:

Click on the Helix logo at the bottom

Click on the 'Restore factory set lists'

Hey presto it unlocks the presets.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It does come with presets. I'm running the trial version right now.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Fretwired said:

I just installed Helix Native and it did that automatically - when I started it up in Logic it came up saying something like "you are starting Helix Native for the first time - installing presets" and there they were
    Red ones are better. 
    Drew_TNBD said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you know anything about design?? There are many schools of thought, but one of the chief design decisions that tends to be made early on is whether something is skeuomorphic or non-skeuomorphic - plainly speaking, does it look like a real world object, or does it not look like a real world object.

Line 6 went for non-
    skeuomorphic. Amplitube went for skeuomorphic. So right there you're comparing two different schools of thought as if they were the same thing when they are not.

It's like comparing breaststroke to doggy-paddle and going "well they're both forms of swimming!! My comparison counts!"

I'm not trying to change your mind about the interface. I just don't think Amplitube is a good comparison. A better comparison would be Axe-Edit for the Axe FX, or maybe the Kazrog amp modellers, since they're also fairly non-
    skeuomorphic.

In terms of design, I *think* on the face of it that I prefer the current Helix editor sliders, because they're big and chunky and segmented. But I've not seen a full screen capture of the Helix Native interface yet to fully make my mind up. But they've clearly gone for a non-
    skeuomorphic minimalist design philosophy, and they're also tying it in with the hardware. The decisions make perfect sense to me.
    Yes I know about design. I am expressing an opinion ... what I like you may not like. I don't like my wife's Mercedes as I don't like the dash and computer layout - petty I know. I like the way BMW does it - it's want I'm used to so I drive a BMW. I also like the way Amplitube has gone to major manufacturers and licensed and worked with them so when you call up a Fender amp it looks just like the amp and has the right Fender logo on it rather than some daft name. There's no logic ...

As I said at the top of the thread Line 6 are using the hardware interface - when designing for hardware like the Helix Line 6 had no choice but to adopt a non-skeuomorphic design. I get that. I also get the fact that those of you who have the hardware would expect to see a plugin that looks and works the same way.

If the tones are good I'll get used to it ..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh - are those Vox presets new.... ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    Cabicular said:

Because the amplitude interface (which I'm a big fan of btw) wouldn't work on a floor controller
    It is what it is because of what it is :)

I actually said that when I made my original comment higher up the thread .. :-)

Fretwired said:
    Cabicular said:

Because the amplitude interface (which I'm a big fan of btw) wouldn't work on a floor controller
    It is what it is because of what it is :)

I actually said that when I made my original comment higher up the thread .. :-)
    Sorry .. missed it in all the giddy excitement :)

TimmyO said:
    Ooh - are those Vox presets new.... ? 
    Yes and not available on the floor unit.
    I think they are debating on whether to include them or not
    TimmyO said:
    Fretwired said:

I just installed Helix Native and it did that automatically - when I started it up in Logic it came up saying something like "you are starting Helix Native for the first time - installing presets" and there they were
    Mine didn't ... support told me to do that and hey presto .. the support is very good .. they must have everyone at Line 6 answering questions and fixing things ..

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Couldn't wait, so I fired it up and ran through some sounds, tbh it sounds pretty much like my Helix Rack ;) worked flawlessly  I am looking forward to messing around with some of my nicer plugins with it as well
    Some of the presets sound good .. looking promising ..

I'm currently scouringnthe office for a set of headphones !
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Man all this talk about design and none about tone, what a waste of thread..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    My eye finds horizontal bars harder to eyeball quickly than dials, or vertical bars, but it's not the end of the world. As noted it's in keeping with the HW 
    We're guitarists .. we like thing designed in the 1950s (well some of us do). Most of my plugins have cool user interfaces .. the Helix is just pug ugly. End of ... if the plugin sounds good that's all that matters.

And I'm old school .. sliders mean nothing to me .... but if I can get a great tone in a few minutes then great.

:-)
    does this mean there is a need for bakelite knob modelling?? lol
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ruoma said:
    Man all this talk about design and none about tone, what a waste of thread..
    Same toanz as the Helix and Helix LT. Anything those can do Helix Native can do as well. There is a 15 day trial also. Go grab that.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    What are you fine people using as an interface?

I am not lugging my rack around just to get it close to the PC that is capable of running Native!

I am not lugging my rack around just to get it close to the PC that is capable of running Native!
    Apogee one for macbook
    At the home studio.. all sorts of exotica... :)

I'm using my Apogee One (cos my Apollo Duet is boxed up out of the way)

If you just need a way to get instrument -> computer then a Line6 Sonic Port VX (the VX one works on Mac and PC too, the original version is just iOS) would be a nice compact option http://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/ ;
    Red ones are better. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Presonus 16.0.2 for me, works an absolute treat with my Mac and Logic