What to do about North Korea ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24535
What do you do with a batshit crazy dictator threatening to launch nuclear weapons at other countries ?

As you might have noticed, I'm no fan of Trump but Kim Jong-Megalomaniac cannot be allowed to launch nukes. no matter what.

Personally, I would support blowing the shit out of every site in N.Korea that might have ICBMs.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9779
    Emp_Fab said:

...I would support blowing the shit out of every site in N.Korea that might have ICBMs.
    @ICBM might see things differently ;-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6205
    Is he sane enough to realise if does try to kick one off, the his beloved country and capital city especially will be just a smoking hole? It's a lot of bluster by him to try and bully countries to keep buying NK exports to keep his kingdom afloat, but he likes his pies and the good life so I think the nuclear option is just brinkmanship.

However, he has a shit load of conventional weapons aimed at Seoul, as well as chemical ones pointed at all exit ports from South Korea and he may well choose to go down that route. He could take out the SK capital long before US reinforcements could get there and Seoul would become a killing ground, like a 2nd Leningrad. Pyongyang would be attacked by a massive conventional response from SK, but he might figure it's worth the risk.

Sanctions seem to be the only option at the moment and only China has any real power to influence this nutjob.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14621
    The population of North Korea has been living an enforced isolationist lie for decades. If the present leader chooses to engage aggressively with the outside world, the lie will collapse. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12112
    edited August 2017
    The reality is if the CIA tell Trump a list of targets to hit to set back NKs weapons program a decade he probably will.

Problem is the retaliation expected against South Korea, it escalates into full scale war way too easily.

The best option at this point is a semi friendly takeover by China, with Kim given a ceremonial role in a new regime run from Beijing.

A war will kill tens of thousands and cause massive economic devastation at a very dangerous time.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24535
    Maybe I've seen too many Mission Impossible films but you'd think that they could assassinate one bloke wouldn't you?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6123
    Emp_Fab said:
    Maybe I've seen too many Mission Impossible films but you'd think that they could assassinate one bloke wouldn't you?
    Disguise might be a problem. To get near him you need to be old, dress in uniform with an unfeasibly large hat and grin maniacally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    "How do you solve a problem like Korea?"

Missed thread title opportunity there, Emp. Come on.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    Horrible little man.

He's the sort of person who has the Strymon big three for show alone.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Ask China what they want to get rid of him. Trade deal with UK and US, cash to cover the intervention. Then let them do it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6123
    Suddenly, 'sources believe'.. 'may have acquired'.. is all the validation trump needs.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8050
    The USA has bases in South Korea.  

I'm sure they have plenty of arms already pointing in his direction, and they can take missiles out of the air before they hit their targets.  Plus, USA carriers are in firing range.  

Actually, the Koreans don't like the American presence, they are proud people, and hate the thought that 'Big Brother' is protecting them. 

It would be lunacy for Kim Wrong to actually fire at a USA target. The only ace in his corner is China, and he's loosing support there.  

I feel a regime change coming on......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    One thing is sure, it will get worse before it gets resolved.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The same thing we did with Iraq and Syria.

Er....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Drew_TNBD said:

Er....
    I think they had oil. That means "we" care about them more. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited August 2017
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Myranda said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Er....
    I think they had oil. That means "we" care about them more. 
    Boil enough peasant bodies in brine, and you can get oil.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    JezWynd said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Disguise might be a problem. To get near him you need to be old, dress in uniform with an unfeasibly large hat and grin maniacally.

Where's Emp? He seems to fit the bill.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Given the fanatic nature of his close supporters I think you'd need to assassinate a couple of dozen people and as a backup and special forces to launch sites... 

And you risk failure resulting in huge artillery bombardment of south Korea. 

Crazy as Korea's leader might be... Talking might still be the best option 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27792
    Emp_Fab said:
    What do you do with a batshit crazy dictator threatening to launch nuclear weapons at other countries ?

You mean, as distinct from a batshit crazy halfwit who bought himself a presidentship threatening to launch nuclear weapons at other countries???

But isn't it all a bit 1984?  

We have to be given a target for our hatred.  ISIS have fallen off the radar, can't really mention Syria now cos Vlad gets touchy, don't talk about anything beginning with "I" because we'd all prefer to forget about that little escapade, so ... (looking around the world for an easier target) ... how about those guys who all dress in uniform and have a funny haircut  - in the style of a 1970s James Bond villain stereotype - in a place that no-one's been to??

Game on!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    TheMarlin said:
    The USA has bases in South Korea.  

I'm sure they have plenty of arms already pointing in his direction, and they can take missiles out of the air before they hit their targets.  Plus, USA carriers are in firing range.  

Actually, the Koreans don't like the American presence, they are proud people, and hate the thought that 'Big Brother' is protecting them. 

It would be lunacy for Kim Wrong to actually fire at a USA target. The only ace in his corner is China, and he's loosing support there.  

I feel a regime change coming on......
    The problem is the thousands of NK artillery pieces all sitting there within striking distance of Seoul. There would be massive damage to the city within the first 24 hours of any conflict and huge loss of life. If the South evacuate before an attack is launched, the North will know and be able to prepare. In fact, the North could legitimately see any evacuation as an act of aggression. 

And that is ignoring the ICBM threat to other countries in the region including Japan, which may or may not be real or containable.

There is no easy answer here unfortunately, but I can't see the situation getting any better.