What weird things did you believe when starting?

What's Hot

Comments

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    mbe said:
    When I was a kid I thought you plugged the electric guitar into mains wall socket.

Don't try this at home folks :astonished: Ouch!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    viz said:
    I used to know a guy who claimed Voodoo Chile to be his favourite song, but it was clear he'd never heard it as he pronounced Chile as in Chillidoggy. 
    Exact same thing for me :) I clearly remember sitting beside a mate in a pub, he was trying to chat up a girl sitting beside him, she mentioned how much she loved Hendrix and he said he did too, and that his favourite "track" was "Voodoo Chili"...

Fuck was that really 35 years ago???
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    mbe said:
    When I was a kid I thought you plugged the electric guitar into mains wall socket.

Like this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72634
    mbe said:
    It can be done, with a combination of enough determination and stupidity… I once saw the result. Surprisingly, the owner didn't die.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33844
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:

Nothing specific from me, although I distinctly recall an acquaintance who persisted in calling a Les Paul a "Le Paul" (as in the French pronounciation), even when told otherwise…
    Ironically, probably 99% of people (at least in this country) still pronounce it wrongly - it's "Less", not "Lez", since it's short for Lester. I know I do.

However, calling one a "Lester" deserves being shot on sight.

When I started, I believed Gibsons were the quality guitars and Fenders were cheap junk...

As a Wesley who has always been called Wez I disagree  ;)
    I call you Wev.
    I always assumed the z was silent.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

When I was a beginner a shiny new guitar from any decent maker was the holy grail.

Of course these days everything has changed and it has to be a heavily battered old sixties or fifties Fender or Gibson - you're just not a proper guitarist unless you have one of those, we now know in our wisdom.

(Hope my sarcasm is coming over right, and no newbie comes across this post actually believes the above garbage!)

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    I couldn't understand why the up position on the toggle was called rhythm and the down one was called lead.  The up position was louder and fatter sounding, so surely that was the one for lead?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    A couple of my old band mates started out with acoustic guitars and Marshall stacks painted on the cellar wall.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought I had to play rhythm until such time some unknown bunch of people decided that I could now have a go at playing lead. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    Buying a Boss Metal Zone in the early nineties.

That went well!
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Oh yes - Telecasters were for Rhythm work and Strats for Lead...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

That's true for me too!  As a kid I'd seen players using strats on the telly and thought they were rotating the arm (as if it was some sort of pot or volume control) rather than pushing/pulling it.
    True for me also, though I thought it also worked a bit like a corkscrew.
  • That using a small amp and 'driving the fuck' out of it was better than using an actual properly powered amp. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I couldn't understand what the mid control was for - my Carlsbro GLX100 only sounded good with the mids on 0! I tried to explain that to the soundman at my first real gig but he tried to ruin my sound by making me turn the mids up. What did he know?

To be fair, I was mostly a drummer during this time but it still took me embarrassingly long to realise that it was just that the amp, and my playing, sounded utterly shit and turning the mids to minimum was effectively my way of turning my shitness down to a distant rumble and fizz.
  • 57Deluxe said:
    This is actually true tho, but you mean landfill instead of Rhythm yeah? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    57Deluxe said:
    This is actually true tho, but you mean landfill instead of Rhythm yeah? 
    I meant to ask - do you loathe telecaster basses just as much?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    He loathes them more deeply!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i believed the more i practise the better id get. i was naieve
  • i also belived Id get my money for nothing and my chicks for free
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    When I played a button accordion, the Paolo Soprani was the instrument 'to have', the instrument that serious players played.

When I turned to guitar, I thought that Gibson Les Pauls were 'top of the tree' and the instrument serious players played.  Fender, I thought, were stepping stones before finally getting a Gibson....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum