What weird things did you believe when starting?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I thought that once you got all the tuning pegs in a straight line, the guitar was in tune.

Also, when I bust my first string, I got a replacement and threaded it through the bridge ferrules fine then through the tuner....but only about 10mm through....I was winding that bastard string on for about an hour and a half....you couldn't see the post for excess windings....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14374
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    mbe said:
    When I was a kid I thought you plugged the electric guitar into mains wall socket.
    It can be done, with a combination of enough determination and stupidity… I once saw the result. Surprisingly, the owner didn't die.
    I've seen it as well and hard to believe the thinking behind it

Otherwise I can't think as to what I thought of going back over 40 years ago now - However based on my time behind the counter I'm afraid I've seen and heard many suggestions and ideas and some raised above
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited August 2017
    57Deluxe said:
    Oh yes - Telecasters were for Rhythm work and Strats for Lead...
    This is actually true tho, but you mean landfill instead of Rhythm yeah? 
    I meant to ask - do you loathe telecaster basses just as much?
    I loathe Basses full stop. BUT I love my Teles!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    mbe said:
    When I was a kid I thought you plugged the electric guitar into mains wall socket.
    It can be done, with a combination of enough determination and stupidity… I once saw the result. Surprisingly, the owner didn't die.
    A case of natural selection failing in its duty.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    I seem to remember plugging an amp in to the schools tape player so that I could play through both at the same time.
    I'm not sure how I did it, but the smoke that was coming out of the tape player suggested that I shouldn't have.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Oh yes - Telecasters were for Rhythm work and Strats for Lead...
    This is actually true tho, but you mean landfill instead of Rhythm yeah? 
    I meant to ask - do you loathe telecaster basses just as much?
    What's a bass?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    miserneil said:
    I thought that once you got all the tuning pegs in a straight line, the guitar was in tune.

I may have misremembered this but the story as best as I recall it was Stu Hamm ( now a super technical rock fusion type bass player) originally wanted to play bass to be like Danny Partridge from the Partridge Family. So he would watch the show and try to copy the angles of Danny's tuning pegs over onto own his bass in an attempt to be in tune.
    Everyone has got to start somewhere. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Rocker said:
    When I played a button accordion, the Paolo Soprani was the instrument 'to have', the instrument that serious players played.

When I turned to guitar, I thought that Gibson Les Pauls were 'top of the tree' and the instrument serious players played.  Fender, I thought, were stepping stones before finally getting a Gibson....
    ...whys that 'weird'? ;)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30313
    I used to believe that Sex, Drugs and Rock'n Roll was the answer to a happy life.
    Turned out I was absolutely right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72634
    professorben said:

What's a bass?
    The thing they let you have if you want to be in the band but you aren't good enough to play the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had my first guitar about 6 months before coming to the conclusion 'maybe i should get it tuned up'. 
    I think it was one of my older brothers friends that tuned it up for me.

WOW. i thought id better not let it go out of tune, so i marked with black permanent marker the positions of the tuning pegs on the sides of the headstock!!

...then realised what a twat i was.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    I thought the fact I sounded shit was because I had cheap gear, took more years than i'd like to admit to say I now know that to not be true. I sound like me on an expensive guitar or a cheap knock off.