Wiring help needed please!

What's Hot

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    the core costs £40 including the power supply. Why are you using an IEC? This is like a Darwin awards thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What do you mean by the core gargarin? 
    To be honest the main reason I want to use iec is because it looks nice and neat from the outside. 
  • Do you mean the power core? I need that to power the pedals. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    the main reason I want to use iec is because it looks nice and neat from the outside. 
    ICBM said:
    PLEASE STOP NOW before you kill yourself. Seriously. 
    normula1 said:
    please do not mess with mains electricity. It can ... kill you and ... it may kill someone else too. 
    Gagaryn said:
    This is like a Darwin Awards thread.
    The second rule of Electricity Club is, you DO NOT f*** with electricity.

Please, pretty please, consult your father-in-law. If he is a qualified professional electrician, ask him about the installation regulations book. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Will do. Cheers for the advice again. It's a small project to do while recovering from a back op. Pleased with it so far and this is the last thing I have to do. Would be a shame to set fire to it now. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You know the power supply that comes with the power core - you need to use that!
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    The core comes with a PSU and you didn't use it?  Do you know the difference between mains AC high voltage and DC low voltage used for these pedals (and phones, laptops etc)? basically you can't use that kettle lead connector, you need to use the adaptor that they gave you, or something equivalent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sounds like your father in law is well on his way to committing the perfect murder.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @mardymusic has been conspicuous by his absence for the last two days. Perhaps, he finished what he started? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28228
    1 minute in; comedy gold.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Haha still alive. 
    Follow on question if you don't mind.
    Got an ac adaptor with variable output to go inbetween the power core and iec mount. 
    The ac adaptor doesn't work though when I plug it into the power core.
    Ac adaptor is switched to 18v which is what is written on the input of power core. Any ideas?
    http://i.imgur.com/7xFsxPe.jpg
  • I've tested it with a radio that takes 15v and it works fine. 
    Is today's combination a new laptop mains adapter and your old, kippered PowerCore distributor?
  • Nope. Both new (although the laptop mains adaptor was very cheap). Both working fine independently. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Is it the correct polarity? The Nordell looks like it's tip negative, which is the less common variety (except for guitar pedal-related stuff). If the laptop supply is tip positive it won't work.

Did you check before plugging it in? If not - leaving aside why not, for now ;) - does the Nordell still work with its supplied adaptor? Reverse polarity can be a bad idea, although most *decent* gear should be protected against it and simply not work… but a lot which is supposedly decent is actually not very well protected and can be damaged, or damage the power supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM ;
    Awesome! Used a polarity reversal cable that came with the nordell and bingo! All works great now. Thanks very much for your help. Learnt loads from here the last few days. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    No problem . Just pleased to find you're still alive, and haven't killed another power supply ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Why aren't you using the power supply that came with it?
  • I wanted an iec mounted on the side of the board for because I think it just looks neater. Also a thicker cable is less likely to get snagged etc.
    the picture I put on today I think shows a little of the work in progress board to give you an idea.