Would you buy relic or non relic

What's Hot
Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
I was reading recently that demand is declining and manufacturers are no longer chasing the relic or distressed finish. 

I wondered what the view was around here thesee days I like a genuine vintage guitar played in, minor wear and lacquer checking are all nice. I can cope with a bit of Gibson VOS at a pinch but I would have something new and shiny over a custom shop relic or fake ageing with chipped off paint and razor scored weather checking. 

What is your preference

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16809
    I will take the one I like best.

in all seriousness, I have had some guitars I didn't gel with until I added some wearing in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    There is something wonderful about a guitar that shows its age and use. It's like an old farmhouse table that is more interesting for all the scrapes, scratches and cup marks. 

However, I'm not a fan of artificially inducing age to any wood for aesthetic reasons. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Aesthetically, it depends on the style. I think most Fender solidbodies look fine reliced. Don't mind a lightly aged Les Paul. Don't like most other relics unless it's something really specific and really well done - arctic white SG with twin black p90's, for example. I think people, predominantly people with no skill, have taken relicing too far. On the whole I approve of less finish, especially on the neck, of any guitar. Can't tell a difference in the sound of nitro/poly, I just prefer the look and feel of nitro.
    Some guitars just need to be shiny, though - shred machines, natural acoustics, 335's. 

I wouldn't *not* buy a guitar because of relicing but I have to like the look of it, I must admit. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2094
    Personally I wouldn't buy a "new" relic finished guitar..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1469
    Much prefer lightly aged than shiny. The only exception being PRS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    Relic CS guitars have a thinner finish than 'New Old Stock' guitars and consistently sound more 'vintage' to my ears. If nothing else, their necks are less 'sticky' and feel more convincingly 'old'.

The extreme examples look awful - the one in my profile pick was bought used (it's a 2006) and has plenty of genuine wear. It's right up there with 'real' vintage guitars in terms of tone and feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Prefer my guitars pristine when new, don't mind mojo on older guitars
    That being said i do like the feel of the fender relic'd necks 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I've got a genuine oldie, a CS relic, I've made relics, and I've made pristines.

I like them all.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    I don't like fake damage, but I do like artificial ageing and possibly (very) light wear, if that makes sense. The best modern Fenders I've played have all been 'closet classics' or 'light relics' - they both feel and sound the best to me as well as looking best.

None of the heavy relics I've come across have been as good - I'm not totally sure why, but I think it's more than just disliking the faked wear and damage - which is often far more extreme than all but a tiny number of real vintage guitars, and almost always looks blatantly faked either because it's clearly too fresh, or the pattern is wrong, or it's obvious the same tool has been used repeatedly… or all of the above.

So much so that I now tend to think that the more heavily-worn a guitar appears to be, the more likely it is to be faked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1981
    edited August 2017
    I have to do the Relic'ing - Takes about two years plus

If you want an Artist Replica then fair enough, but otherwise it looks tragic

Like when Rob Chapman had Dreadlocks...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_aukFPkgDq0/maxresdefault.jpg

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5870
    I tend not to prefer Relic Guitars, maybe I'd stretch to the lightest Relicing Possible, but I prefer a brand spanker :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Personally I don't get the point of buying a new "relic" guitar, if I buy a guitar new, the I want it to be exactly that - new.

In fact it's the same with anything I buy new, I wouldn't buy a new "relic" car either!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    I prefer a brand spanker :)
    What you get up to in private is up to you....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    I don't like fake damage, but I do like artificial ageing and possibly (very) light wear, if that makes sense. The best modern Fenders I've played have all been 'closet classics' or 'light relics' - they both feel and sound the best to me as well as looking best.

None of the heavy relics I've come across have been as good - I'm not totally sure why, but I think it's more than just disliking the faked wear and damage - which is often far more extreme than all but a tiny number of real vintage guitars, and almost always looks blatantly faked either because it's clearly too fresh, or the pattern is wrong, or it's obvious the same tool has been used repeatedly… or all of the above.

So much so that I now tend to think that the more heavily-worn a guitar appears to be, the more likely it is to be faked.
    As someone who enjoys building relics, I actually agree with you. A good relic job takes a lot of planning, a lot of patience and more than a hammer and some sandpaper.

Although I understand why people don't like them, part of the reason I've done some of mine as relics is because of the thin skin paint and the ability to get away with some stuff you can't do on a "new" looking build.

That said, the surf green 52 P I did got a satin finish in order to keep the paint thin - and I really like it as a newbie rather than as a relic 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1981
    TonyR said:

In fact it's the same with anything I buy new, I wouldn't buy a new "relic" car either!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drENhsxhX_Q
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I think Fenders journeyman finish looks quite nice. Because it looks natural.

The more extreme ones look ridiculous because most 40-50 year old guitars don't have that level of wear. This is from a person whose main guitar fell off a stand and landed on the floor of a venue at the first gig. It had 2 tiny dings. Not half the finish missing. This is my problem. To me the war wounds I put in are that guitars story. Anything else seems contrived.

But each to his own. But I'd buy new and if you gig them, they pick up patina naturally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It usually costs more to buy a new relic, than a new new guitar, so for that reason I'd just get a new new guitar and dent it myself.

I'd buy a roadworn guitar (and have) providing the neck is still in good condition.  Dents on the neck drive me up the wall, but so long as the body doesn't have any chips where it's uncomfortable (had one filled in where my forearm rests on my PRS as it was sharp) then I'm fine with it within reason
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I'm not paying someone to ruin my guitar, I'm quite capable of doing that myself.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7144
    Full disclosure; I have one reliced guitar, a Washburn N4.  I bought it at the time because it was the only option with an alder body and a Birdseye maple neck, which was what I wanted.

Personally I think there's nothing wrong with a guitar showing signs of use, but it should be natural; not an industrial process.  The scars should be honestly earned.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I would never buy a brand new "reliced" guitar. I'd want it to look brand new. 

Having said that the telecaster i'm building is reliced. It's just added to the enjoyment of making it.