Would you buy relic or non relic

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Neither.

Cut out the middleman and buy vintage. Win/win

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Neither.

Except for you wallet. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Personally I like a relic. But then the way I treat guitars it just takes the stress out of dinging a brand new shiny one. 

Just picked up an Eastman t59/v and while I would have shared the reluctance for relicing a 335 style guitar that some have voiced, it looks the absolute business.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Gassage said:
    Neither.

Cut out the middleman and buy vintage fake. Win/win
    Corrected for you.

Ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the vintage market is a complete and utter minefield.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I would buy any guitar that was 'the right guitar at the right price'. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gassage said:
    Neither.

My vintage guitar is in much better condition than the relics - most are!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    I have a 120 year old terrace house
    needed new internal door fittings for old original doors. New fittings would look so wrong. So purchased replica aged parts. You can't tell the difference 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I stopped whinging and checked Fender Custom Shop prices (there was a PDF file of options on Anderton's web site, a few years old but good enough.)

Without ageing is the basic option - ageing can be added for £100 to £300 depending on how much spanking you like.  (Yes apparently spanking is not free.)

So that answers all my questions - I'd just have the new finish one without any ageing. If anyone asked how why my 50s Strat (or whatever) looked so new, I'd just tell them it's not real it's a reissue.  I honestly see no shame in that...

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited August 2017
    For me it's primarily about the feel – I just don't like playing a glossy, new-feeling neck. Some of the best faux-aged guitars I've played by the likes of Dennis Fano, Dale Wilson at the Custom Shop etc manage to capture that beautiful feel of an old Fender neck that's nearly worn down to the bare wood but still has a lovely sheen. I would pay extra for that because it'll make me pick up the guitar more often. I can't imagine a scenario in which I'll be able to afford a vintage instrument from my preferred era any time soon, so it's the only way to get what I want right now. And I've been playing for long enough to know exactly what I want. 

Also, to the haters: calm down, it's optional. Nobody is breaking into your house and relic'ing your guitar while you sleep. People still make pristine instruments too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom