Best modern non-locking trem?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
I have an idea to build a 22 fret HSH superstrat type guitar, already have a neck I like, and would get a body made to my specs. Anyhow, I'd want to have a trem on this one, not for any mad dive bomb kind of stuff, but set floating, and for adding some shimmer/vibrato, and also Holdsworth style pitch shading on single note playing.

Tuning stability, and tone/sustain would (I suppose obviously) be important things, but also a 54mm saddle spacing would be nice. What's out there that's good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Super Vee Blade Runner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The PRS one is nice, not cheap though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Hipshot 2 post, imho the most responsive and nicely engineered trem out there

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-Contoured-Modern-Tremolo-p/42100vc.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6149
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    Gotoh 510 series, I have one on my patrick eggle 96 carve top, and its rock solid in every way. I actually have a spare one that I could sell if you want. 

this is the item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/252602734860?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=43333907642&rlsatarget=pla-300624018665&abcId=1088846&adtype=pla&merchantid=113716319&googleloc=1006494&device=c&campaignid=805983114&crdt=0&var=551936909991
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I love the Gotoh 510 that came on my Suhr. I've dived it on gigs and it's returned to pitch.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Much appreciate the replies chaps - all suggestions will be looked into, and I will bear your offer in mind @ThorpyFX, cheers. :)
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    The Gotoh 510 is amazing
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    The Gotoh is excellent.  If its good enough for Suhr...
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Super Vee Blade Runner.
    Works a treat. Definitely one to consider.
    Thanks for the further replies - the Gotoh is obviously good stuff and I also like the look of the Super Vee. Has anyone used the Babicz trems? just noticed those while browsing at Thomann.

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Wilkinson vs100 for me
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    Another vote for the Gotoh, fantastic trem. 
    Valar Morghulis
    Luminous said:
    Wilkinson vs100 for me
    I wonder about this one too - appears to be made by Gotoh no less, and I know it's just looks, but I like the modern style of it. And it is a bit less dosh than the Gotoh 510.

Setzer said:
    Another vote for the Gotoh, fantastic trem. 
    Duly noted! :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Recently got a Suhr and I must say, the Gotoh 510 is an absolute joy to use
    Kebabkid said:
    Has to be a strong contender! 6 votes so far, and counting...

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Megii said:
    Kebabkid said:

Depends how you set it but if set to float, you get the sort of play you can get with a Floyd. With locking tuners, tuning is really stable and I've barely had to touch the tuners. Plus, it's not cumbersome, changing strings is easy and I don't feel like I'm being robbed of any sustain etc
    Kebabkid said:
    Megii said:
    Kebabkid said:

Depends how you set it but if set to float, you get the sort of play you can get with a Floyd. With locking tuners, tuning is really stable and I've barely had to touch the tuners. Plus, it's not cumbersome, changing strings is easy and I don't feel like I'm being robbed of any sustain etc
    Cheers - I would indeed be setting the trem floating, and would very likely get some locking tuners also. If I'm honest, I wish the 510 looked a bit more "exotic" - but I suppose sometimes a good design is just one that takes care of the things that matter in a straight forward way, without unneeded frills. Appreciate your thoughts anyhow, cheers @Kebabkid ;
  • Megii said:

Cheers - I would indeed be setting the trem floating, and would very likely get some locking tuners also. If I'm honest, I wish the 510 looked a bit more "exotic" - but I suppose sometimes a good design is just one that takes care of the things that matter in a straight forward way, without unneeded frills. Appreciate your thoughts anyhow, cheers @Kebabkid ;
    Patrick Eggle is currently using the Gotoh EV510 on his '96' model...looks slightly different.
    Megii said:

Patrick Eggle is currently using the Gotoh EV510 on his '96' model...looks slightly different.
    Like the look of that one, cheers :)

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've had the Wilkinson / Gotoh VS100 for a good few years with no issue. Paired with some locking tuners it's rock solid.