Best modern non-locking trem?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I loved the one on a schecter custom shop Strat I tried. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    normula1 said:
    I've had the Wilkinson / Gotoh VS100 for a good few years with no issue. Paired with some locking tuners it's rock solid.
    Good to hear, cheers!
    RMJ said:
    Also good to know, but any idea what type it was? :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Megii said:
    normula1 said:
    I've had the Wilkinson / Gotoh VS100 for a good few years with no issue. Paired with some locking tuners it's rock solid.
    Good to hear, cheers!
    RMJ said:
    Also good to know, but any idea what type it was? :D 
    The main thing to make sure of if you're going for a VS100 is that you get the one with the proper Steel trem block.
    like the one on the GSPBASSES Superstrat that I might be selling...
  • Surely it's got to be a prs trem 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5425
    edited August 2017
    Mastery. Which is an offset style so maybe not quite what you're after, but killer hardware nonetheless. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    I've got a Wilkinson VSVG going spare. Excellent trem - vintage tone and feel, but with modern tweaks.
    edited August 2017
    Surely it's got to be a prs trem 
    To be honest, I'm not that keen on the vintage style row of 6 pivot screws (however well thought out and improved the design) and they don't seem easily available as a separate unit, and those I can find online are pretty damn expensive. So I'm sure they're great, and forgive me, but...
    Whitecat said:
    Mastery. Which is an offset style so maybe not quite what you're after, but killer hardware nonetheless. 
    Worth mentioning for anyone wanting to upgrade an offset, but had a look, and not what I'm after at all, cheers though.

Lebarque said:
    I've got a Wilkinson VSVG going spare. Excellent trem - vintage tone and feel, but with modern tweaks.
    Interesting, and thanks for mentioning it, but had a look, and not for me, cheers 

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6151
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Cheers - I would indeed be setting the trem floating, and would very likely get some locking tuners also. If I'm honest, I wish the 510 looked a bit more "exotic" - but I suppose sometimes a good design is just one that takes care of the things that matter in a straight forward way, without unneeded frills. Appreciate your thoughts anyhow, cheers @Kebabkid ;
    Patrick Eggle is currently using the Gotoh EV510 on his '96' model...looks slightly different.
    Like the look of that one, cheers :)

heres the one i have spare. complete mint condition:

http://i.imgur.com/lXokG4I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oCVL0JV.jpg
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28289
    I do like the Hipshot and Gotohs, but my two favourite modern non-lockers are the G&L one (has a lovely return-to-centre feel to it) and the Parker one that goes on the Niteflys (I prefer that to the one on the full-fat Fly). They both look a bit unusual, but they both work really nicely. The G&L works particularly well.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    ThorpyFX said:
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Cheers - I would indeed be setting the trem floating, and would very likely get some locking tuners also. If I'm honest, I wish the 510 looked a bit more "exotic" - but I suppose sometimes a good design is just one that takes care of the things that matter in a straight forward way, without unneeded frills. Appreciate your thoughts anyhow, cheers @Kebabkid ;
    Patrick Eggle is currently using the Gotoh EV510 on his '96' model...looks slightly different.

Thanks @ThorpyFX - I will (not just saying this) seriously bear that one in mind, and could well be back in touch. I'm not at the stage of being sure I want to go ahead with the build, have some things to think about etc. but if I do, that would certainly fit the bill nicely. This forum can be a remarkable resource at times, never fails to amaze me. :)
    Sporky said:
    I do like the Hipshot and Gotohs, but my two favourite modern non-lockers are the G&L one (has a lovely return-to-centre feel to it) and the Parker one that goes on the Niteflys (I prefer that to the one on the full-fat Fly). They both look a bit unusual, but they both work really nicely. The G&L works particularly well.
    I probably would like the unusual looks. Do you know if either of them is available to buy separately?

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6151
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Megii said:
    Megii said:

Thanks @ThorpyFX - I will (not just saying this) seriously bear that one in mind, and could well be back in touch. I'm not at the stage of being sure I want to go ahead with the build, have some things to think about etc. but if I do, that would certainly fit the bill nicely. This forum can be a remarkable resource at times, never fails to amaze me. :)
    Not a problem, it's here and going nowhere unless someone fancies it, as I will keep it for a project if needs be. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited August 2017
    An Edit:
    Hi @Megii - I finally got my spec sheet through for my recently purchased and used Suhr as it didn't come with one and my trem isn't a 510 but an older model and it's actually a Gotoh 1055

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the 2 models and it's also a push-in arm. It certainly works efficiently and smoothly and tuning is v.stable and sounds like I use the trem more aggressively than you but looking at online comparisons, reviewers have said that "tonally" and sustain-wise, the 510s are better.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Megii said:
    To be honest, I'm not that keen on the vintage style row of 6 pivot screws (however well thought out and improved the design) and they don't seem easily available as a separate unit, and those I can find online are pretty damn expensive. So I'm sure they're great, and forgive me, but...

Get the John Mann version.  He made them for PRS in the early days.

http://www.mannmadeusa.com/

There is a reason people like PRS stick with the 6 screw design rather than go for something more "modern".  I'm convinced it sounds better.

Your OP said it wasn't for extreme dive bombing so I'd go for something based on the traditional style.

Kebabkid said:
    An Edit:
    Hi @Megii - I finally got my spec sheet through for my recently purchased and used Suhr as it didn't come with one and my trem isn't a 510 but an older model and it's actually a Gotoh 1055

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the 2 models and it's also a push-in arm. It certainly works efficiently and smoothly and tuning is v.stable and sounds like I use the trem more aggressively than you but looking at online comparisons, reviewers have said that "tonally" and sustain-wise, the 510s are better.
    Appreciate your honest update re that @Kebabkid - I sure your Suhr is a glorious sounding thing, whatever the Gotoh trem model. :)
    crunchman said:
    Megii said:

Get the John Mann version.  He made them for PRS in the early days.

http://www.mannmadeusa.com/

There is a reason people like PRS stick with the 6 screw design rather than go for something more "modern".  I'm convinced it sounds better.

Your OP said it wasn't for extreme dive bombing so I'd go for something based on the traditional style.

Have to admit those do look to be good stuff, and I was completely unaware of them, so happy to be educated on that, cheers @crunchman :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28289
    Megii said:
    Sporky said:
    I probably would like the unusual looks. Do you know if either of them is available to buy separately?

The G&L is:

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/bridges/products/g-l-dual-fulcrum-vibrato

There are occasionally Parker trems on t'bay.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Megii said:
    Sporky said:

The G&L is:

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/bridges/products/g-l-dual-fulcrum-vibrato

There are occasionally Parker trems on t'bay.

Cheers @Sporky :)
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Gotoh 510 by a country mile for me. Much prefer it to the PRS for feel. There is also a 6 screw version