Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One brand only...?

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    Keeley (and a Morley wah)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mostly BOSS: BD2, RV6, CH1, DD7, then a MS-100BT that I really only use as a tuner and a Gunshot, 'cos if your on FB you really need something from ThorpyFX.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited August 2017
    I have a mixture but my conventional pedal board just has budget pedals ... Three Boss (TU12H tuner, CS3 compressor, GE-7), a Behringer TO800 vintage tube overdrive, and 3 Marshall pedals..Guvn'r2+, EH1 Echohead, RG1 Regenerator. I also have a JH1 Jackhammer and BB2 Bluesbreaker back in their boxes.

In my mini pedal board for the fx loop of my AD120VTX Valvetronix, I have a BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser, BBE Boosta Grand, and Behringer EQ700. 

Other pedals include a Joe Webb Quasitap, MXR Noiseclamp, Vox V847 Wah (chrome case), and Coloursound passive volume pedal. I also have a vintage 1970's Vox Super Phase that I think was a vox clone version of an Aria RE-90 Super Phaser / Arbiter Soundhouse Super Phaser / Hi-Max Phase Shifter.

Boss switches are the best, as has been said already, and I like that all their fx pedals are buffered.

Because I don't gig that much at the moment and mainly use my Vox Tonelab LE/SE anyway, I don't really need to build a quality pedal board and frankly don't have the desire or patience to do so...but all kudos to those that have. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    Grunfeld said:
    ICBM said:

But I may still be tempted to give a Boss V-Wah another go...
    I know they get a lot of derision but I used one for ages and it's fine as long as you just stick with the wah and leave the distortion alone.  (Although if anyone could get a usable sound from it I guess it would be you!)  I put the precaution of a big blob of blu-tack on the distortion knob to stop it accidentally switching on. 
    The wah is perfectly wah-y with some varied voicing; the distortion is seriously... unique.*

* Never one to let a potential spam go just PM if you want to buy my old one.  And I could even supply another blob of blu-tack if required!
    Thanks to Grunfeld, I now have a much-maligned Boss V-Wah!

First impressions are that as expected the wahs are great, the Univibe is OK, and the distortion is crap.

But…

It's probably the least intuitive piece of equipment to programme that I've come across in a long time. If you actually read the manual, it becomes clear that you can in fact (after much knob-setting, powering off, button pushing and powering on again!) actually tweak it quite a lot, and find some much better sounds in it than the factory settings. In particular, there is a clean boost mode which is very useful, especially if you combine it with setting the memory mode to single, rather than triple… this means that the heel switch then effectively becomes a boost on-off switch, provided you're using the same manual wah setting as the memory. Complicated? You bet! I can totally see why a lot of people give up in frustration, and I'm not yet sure I won't, but for now it looks like it *might* be possible to replace my Dunlop with it and finally achieve an all-Boss board :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    edited September 2017
    Each new pedal I get now will most likely be a Boss - just really like the switches and design. So much better than almost everything else which you need to be more precise with when switching to make sure you don't nudge the knobs. Can't be arsed with boutique bollocks any more, better to have the tried and tested utilitarian stuff. Only exception will be for a dunlop if I want a wah, and digitech if I want pitch shifting. 

I've only got a DD7 at the minute but will be replacing my tubescreamer clone with an SD1 soon. Pitchblack is on its way out as well so I'll just get a TU3. Only annoyance is that the dd7 defaults to on when the power is plugged in, they all like that?
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Just for the whimsy of it I decided my mini board must feature any brand only once.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Having said that, a board which features EVERY brand exactly once might be fun too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    TTBZ said:

Only annoyance is that the dd7 defaults to on when the power is plugged in, they all like that?
    No - a few do, most default to off. I've never actually bothered to find out why since I always make sure the pedal turns on and off properly when I start, so it doesn't matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I can't ever imagine me having a single brand pedalboard.   If I had to, though, I'd choose EQD or EHX or maybe Way Huge.  But I'd need a wah.   
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• ICBM said:
    TTBZ said:

Only annoyance is that the dd7 defaults to on when the power is plugged in, they all like that?
    No - a few do, most default to off. I've never actually bothered to find out why since I always make sure the pedal turns on and off properly when I start, so it doesn't matter.
    -I always assumed that it's because the JFET they use is semi-stable. It seems fairly random whether or not they do it. Individual pedals are consistent but not across types. 
  • I like pedals to default to on
    Very handy if you have a board and a switcher

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Not far off of one brand

https://imgur.com/a/BXKlN
  • shaunm said:
    Not far off of one brand

Nice board mate !
  • Boss ? 

Yep, strong build quality and design... but I tried a few last year (RV6, DD7, SD1 etc) and so wanted to like them for convenience and cost... i must thought that they were 'ok', sadly...

Anyway, I could do a Chase Bliss or Bearfoot/BJFE board - but currently a Strymon is closest
    shaunm said:
    Not far off of one brand

Nice board mate !
    Thanks @Wazmeister that gap is getting filled today with a deep blue delay. The Mad Proffesor site sells off their demo pedals cheap which I didn't know.

I could do a Dunlop/MXR board. Great reverb, fuzzface, take your pick with wah (Bonamassa or Cantrell), loads of decent modulation, a micro amp and one of their drives. 
  • shaunm said:
    shaunm said:
    Not far off of one brand

Nice board mate !
    Thanks @Wazmeister that gap is getting filled today with a deep blue delay. The Mad Proffesor site sells off their demo pedals cheap which I didn't know.

I could do a Dunlop/MXR board. Great reverb, fuzzface, take your pick with wah (Bonamassa or Cantrell), loads of decent modulation, a micro amp and one of their drives. 
    I never knew that mate about MP... I'd like a DBD too; it sounded awesome on the Schofield video.
    shaunm said:
    shaunm said:
    Not far off of one brand

Nice board mate !

I never knew that mate about MP... I'd like a DBD too; it sounded awesome on the Schofield video.
    It did, I think we both darted on here to find one. 

They have loads of as they call them "b stock" pedals for sale. The DBD was £45 cheaper than an "a stock" one with the only difference being a scuff or two. It still has warranty. 

Unfortunately not not many other makers do this. I promptly checked! 
  • Boss ? 

Yep, strong build quality and design... but I tried a few last year (RV6, DD7, SD1 etc) and so wanted to like them for convenience and cost... i must thought that they were 'ok', sadly...

Anyway, I could do a Chase Bliss or Bearfoot/BJFE board - but currently a Strymon is closest

Good enough for most pro's though.  Just checked rig rundown, 8 out of the 10 I looked at had at least 1 Boss pedal, most had more, including DD7's and SD1's.

• When I got my first Boss about 25 years ago I wanted a load of them. However, my disposable income was generally spent on cigs and beer, so I decided to go for the more affordable Ibanez Soundtank. I never got beyond a compressor though.

do have a complete (I think) collection of Locobox floor effects. But don't use them, as I am a bassist these days. So all I use is a tuner.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Now Strymon do drive pedals, it would have to be Strymon with a clip on headstock tuner.

If Boss come out with a Reverb version of the DD500 to compete with the Big Sky then that would be an option.