How many here understand music theory?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24616
I'm specifically asking this in OT as the music section would likely produce distorted results.  How many of you have any knowledge of music theory ?  By that, I mean, could you correctly explain most of the following; Time signatures, Circle of 5ths, any scale beyond the major and minor, how chords are constructed, which notes are where on the fretboard.?

Yes or No...   GO!

Me: No. (Shamefully)
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    Yes, broadly. Though I get lost somewhere north of "Myxolydian"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yes
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Yes
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Not really
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33904
    Fairly comprehensively, yes.
    But I was lucky in that I was taught it at school and then followed it on into adulthood.

Applying it in a jazz improv context is an order of magnitude more difficult and that is what I am constantly working on.
    It hard.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24616
    That's what puts me off learning.  I know it sounds dumb but I'm a bit bothered that if I understand what I'm doing, I'll be thinking theory all the time instead of just being in the moment.  On the other hand, I'm sure I could be better technically if I knew the theory.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10518
    I went 20 years without knowing any theory, then I made the effort to learn the theory behind what I was instinctively doing. It's well worth the effort of learning, especially since there's so much online stuff to make learning easier. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited August 2017
    Yes, and it's worth learning if you want to arrange music for other instruments. E.g. say there's a piano piece that you'd like to play on guitar, chances are it's going to be hard to play it verbatim, so you'll maybe need to transpose, simplify, reharmonise in places etc.

Also useful if you are a bit stuck on where to go next if you come up with a tune and not sure how to develop it. I'm not saying that music should be theory based as that would make it really boring, but having some theory can give you options to try out rather than e.g. randomly trying chords and notes - although that approach can lead to real inspiration also!

Another benefit is being able to hear a piece of music on TV or radio and if you like it, pick up the guitar and immediately find the melody on the fretboard and then harmonise it.

I do struggle with jazz harmony though. Classical harmony, counterpoint etc, I understand well, but all the jazz substitution stuff can get a bit brain melting.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    A qualified 'yes'. I'm pretty good on chord theory, but outside of basic major/minor, harmonic minor and Dorian - I'm no expert on scales/modes.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've had better.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2224
    edited August 2017
    I know quite a lot and probably enough for my current needs, but I'd never claim to understand anything completely. There are always new things to learn and new ways of looking at things.

One thing's for certain. I don't know as much as @viz or @octatonic.
    It's not a competition.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1337
    E...D-D-D...A-A-C-something.

Works for ACDC.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I barely remember which notes are on each string let alone theory.

I know the basics of time signatures but that's probably about it.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yes.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    That's what puts me off learning.  I know it sounds dumb but I'm a bit bothered that if I understand what I'm doing, I'll be thinking theory all the time instead of just being in the moment.  On the other hand, I'm sure I could be better technically if I knew the theory.
    You will be technically better, and understanding what you're doing will only help you to make more informed decisions about what to play - it's not meant to make you over-think everything. I don't ever find it to get in the way - I never find myself thinking "Ooh, I wish I didn't know as much" while playing, but I have often found myself thinking "Oh, I wish I understood this better".

It really does help, and anyone who thinks it won't help them is kidding themselves.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    I understand it up to a point. The bit I don't know about is approx 99% of it, but I plug away at it. 
    Emp_Fab said:
    That's what puts me off learning.  I know it sounds dumb but I'm a bit bothered that if I understand what I'm doing, I'll be thinking theory all the time instead of just being in the moment.  
    This really doesn't happen. Even if you're a university music professor you'll still be transfixed and consumed by it. Music is infinite in its giving. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4686
    Understand yes, recall immediately no, apply yes, make musical no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1014
    I understand time signatures & where some notes are on the fretboard, but would have to answer No to the rest of your question.

In an effort to learn though I have started to work through Guitar Techniques magazines Reading Music series(August 2014, page 92 if anyone's interested) 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Nope.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24785
    Time Sigs - yes
    Notes on fretboard - yes
    Scales beyond major or minor - partly. I know my lydian and phrygian Major because I like to write with those.
    Chord construction - not really. Certainly not outside major and minor, and even within it's hit and miss.
    The rest - nope.

I can read a bit though