Shaving - have some people forgotten how to do it?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12434
    A young chap on the high street the other day had the nerve to don his trilby at a rakish tilt, the bloody ruffian. They should bring back the birch.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30975
    I have no issue with this.

Only the other day at the Edgbaston test, I saw loads of hipsters with silly beards, unflattering haircuts and cheesey sleeve tatts.

I complimented them all on their individualism.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Hipsters at Edgbaston?

Goodness me, standards are slipping, they'll let anyone in these days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader

Hipsters at Edgbaston?

Goodness me, standards are slipping, they'll let anyone in these days.

He's talking about the team. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited August 2017

My son always sports the '5-o'clock shadow' look. When ever I see him I remind him to stand a bit closer to the razor in the morning, not because I think he looks silly, but because I know it always irritates him. Puerile, I accept, but one has to take ones pleasures. To be fair, he does usually parry with a 'fuck off you fat old git', so it's not entirely one-sided.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14594
    Rocker said:
    Someone needs to shout STOP. Read the book written by John Heavy "Nobody shouted stop"
    He Ain't Healy. He's My Brother.  :)

I'm not sure what a book about the slow death of a town has to do with facial hair. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Rocker said:
    Someone needs to shout STOP. Read the book written by John Heavy "Nobody shouted stop"

I'm not sure what a book about the slow death of a town has to do with facial hair. 

Having a bad day in the office my friend? Standards in everything, coffee, music replay quality, car driving etc etc have declined a lot recently. People will be forced to accept mediocrity if there is nothing better available. We should try to preserve and defend some of the things that are good before they too are gone. This is what makes us what we are.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28784
    Rocker said:

Standards in everything, coffee, music replay quality, car driving etc etc have declined a lot recently. 
    Citations needed.

Coffee has improved enormously since I discovered an excellent local roaster, a nice burr grinder, a temperature controlled kettle, the Aeropress, decent porcelain mugs, full-fat Cravendale, and Tate & Lyle sugar.

Music replay improved enormously when the nice people at Audio Express took back my two-months-out-of-warranty Canton DM50 (right channel failed) and sent me a brand-spanky DM55 as a replacement. Also Spotify Ultra quality is downright excellent.

And car driving can't have seriously declined. The accident rate has. The two can't go together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain

You are provably wrong on every count there.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The average person is hearing music in much higher quality than 30 years ago. Spotify downloads in high quality through say, skullcandy earphones will sound a lot better than a cassette Walkman with those horrible over the ear headphones they came with. Your average cheap hi-fi or mid range sound bar outputs much better quality sound than an old record player bought from Tandy or Dixon's. It's much harder to pass your driving test than it was in your day standards just seem to be worse because the roads are so much busier. Great coffee is easy to find and it's cheaper than ever to make it yourself at home.

We've never had it so good. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Having a bad day in the office my friend? Standards in everything, coffee, music replay quality, car driving etc etc have declined a lot recently. People will be forced to accept mediocrity if there is nothing better available. We should try to preserve and defend some of the things that are good before they too are gone. This is what makes us what we are.....
    Don't you think it's weird that people are talking quieter than they used to and it's further to the shops than it was when you were younger?

You need* to understand when it's the world that's getting worse and when it's you getting rubbisher at perceiving it. Those of us who have shared a forum with you for a long time know that you are extremely bad at correctly attributing a cause to your perception but you stubbornly refuse to accept that you might actually just be being dumb. 

* Of course, you don't need to at all. But you ought to know that many people (most people?) here will continue to consider you a harmless, if delusional, lovable oaf for as long as you act like one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5027
    Erm...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16811
    I just shaved off the last few months unkempt growth actually.  I meant to trim it, but it's been a bit neglected and that always makes it trickier.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Woah! Hold up there - you think coffee has got worse in recent years? Much more choice than there has ever been with lots of places turning it into an art form - some in an annoyingly hipster fashion, I'll admit, but coffee is definitely better than ever. You must be drinking the wrong stuff - ditch the nescafe.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72722
    Gagaryn said:

Hold up there - you think coffee has got worse in recent years? Much more choice than there has ever been with lots of places turning it into an art form - some in an annoyingly hipster fashion, I'll admit, but coffee is definitely better than ever.
    It may be an art form, but I'm not paying the thick end of a fiver for a cup of something I can barely remember the fancy name of served by some hipster who insists on calling me by my first name, when what I want is a simple cup of black coffee. I don't doubt the creative ones are good if that's what you want - and sometimes I do too - although I still can't believe the prices, especially at the usual commercial places where it *isn't* that good.

[/Old Man Shouts At Cloud]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23226
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

Hold up there - you think coffee has got worse in recent years? Much more choice than there has ever been with lots of places turning it into an art form - some in an annoyingly hipster fashion, I'll admit, but coffee is definitely better than ever.
    It may be an art form, but I'm not paying the thick end of a fiver for a cup of something I can barely remember the fancy name of served by some hipster who insists on calling me by my first name, when what I want is a simple cup of black coffee. I don't doubt the creative ones are good if that's what you want - and sometimes I do too - although I still can't believe the prices, especially at the usual commercial places where it *isn't* that good.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22300
    edited August 2017
    Rocker said:
    Match of the Day Two.  Last night.  The Liverpool manager, the Chelsea manager, the MOTD2 presenter and a panelist all sported several days stubble.  Like as if they did not shave since the Premier League Season started.  What are they playing at?  If they wanted to grow a beard, they had all the close season to grow it.  Not acceptable to expect us to watch their weak efforts at growing beards.  If they lived in Ireland they would be advised to use some 10-10-20 [artificial fertilizer for grass] to progress it a bit.  Makes the farce of Mayweather & McGregor appear quite 'normal'.

It is civilization Jim, but not as we knew it astonished 
    Have you considered that modern man is less likely to shave their face but so more time shaving their balls?

Go on, sir. Research on Google. Gooch shaving is where you need to begin.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16811
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:

£20 on an aeropress with enough filters to last a year and £20 a month spent at Rave will give you consistently better coffee than any main brand coffee shops.  Okay, frothy milk will add to the cost but my £60 electric milk frother still beats badly scorched milk from Starbucks .... and it does milkshakes for the kids too.  TK Maxx seems to be an oddly good choice for a random selection of flavoured syrups if that's your thing.

you don't have to spend a massive amount to get decent coffee that beats your £5 a cup anger.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14594
    Rocker said:
    Having a bad day in the office, my friend? 
    No. No office.

I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that your "Nobody Shouted Stop" post neither explains nor demonstrates any link between the book, so-called societal standards and the initial thread topic, facial hair. 
    Rocker said:
    Standards
    Standards are only standard if enough people accept them and comply. (In some countries, Female Genital Mutilation is "standard". Does that make it acceptable, let alone morally defensible?
    Rocker said:
    We should try to preserve and defend some of the things that are good before they, too, are gone. 
    They paved paradise, put up a parking lot. 

Given that entropy is increasing and constant change is here to stay, it is sheer bravado to expect time to stand still. We will pay the price but we will not count the cost. Everybody gotta deviate from the norm.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    Nice to live in a world where enforced suits, ties and shaving are being consigned to the history bin. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    edited August 2017
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    He Ain't Healy. He's My Brother.  

Only if those things matter to you.