Brown, hairy and broken

What's Hot
Mrs B doesn't work - she spends most of her time volunteering for an organisation that rescues dogs from the pound, just before they are due to get the injection on day 7 and be put to sleep.

She sees a lot of dogs come into the shelter - walks them, feeds them, gives them attention and time, and then often zooms them off to their rescue place, foster, permanent shelter or wherever they are destined to go to find a new life. 

Today one came in that was literally minutes from the injection. Abused, rejected, stray, in and out of rescues, and finally ended up in the local shelter. She's in a right state. Scared to death, doesn't know what's happening to her, peeing everywhere in fear. 

When I got home Mrs B told me the full story. This one will struggle to get a home. Most rescues won't take dogs that aren't eminently re-homeable, and in her state she isn't. She needs a lot of work. She needs rebuilding from scratch tbh. Without a rescue place, there's not a fat lot of hope for her. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's pretty heartbreaking.

Anyway, we rescued a dog a couple of years back in a state like this one, so we know the form. She asked me if I'd go with her to see her and see if she had a hope of getting used to people quickly enough to maybe find a rescue place. So off we went for a visit. 

She's a brown/black lurcher collie cross. Proper cute. 20 mins in and she was taking treats from me. 40 mins in and she was sitting, ears forward, looking keen enough and giving enough attention to take her out. So we took her into the paddock. Scared still, and very wary, but there were signs of a curious, fun loving and cheeky dog under all the terror. Responds to commands (sort of, well, as best as she can) and has plenty of life in her. 

Quick discussion later, chat to the shelter owners and a few others and we are back there tomorrow night for another session to see how she gets on. If she manages to bond with us, we will foster her with a view to giving her a permanent home if she gets on with our three. We are sort of last resort last stop - it has to be bad if we will take her as there are no other rescue options, but this looks like the right thing to do for her. 

There are some sick people in this world that can break a dog this much.
0reaction image LOL 27reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12375
    Wow, well done to the pair of you! , I couldn't be without our little rescue hound, he's an absolute muppet but I love the bones of him I do.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7774
    Great to hear, hope it works out for her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Wow, well done to the pair of you! , I couldn't be without our little rescue hound, he's an absolute muppet but I love the bones of him I do.
    She's going to be a lot of work. Bu they are worth it, aren't they? ;)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24352
    Well done the both of you.  It's a shame there aren't more like you in this world.  I hope it works out for the poor thing.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Top geezer. The world needs more of you.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10296
    Much respect @Bridgehouse (and Mrs Bridgehouse)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Top work. I found mine, one abandoned in a ditch at 4 weeks old and one begging for food after being abandoned in a village. Both are happy and healthy now. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I thought the thread title was some kind of self-assessment.

I thought the thread title was some kind of self-assessment.
    It works for a self assessment too
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Well done mate.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited August 2017
    I've said it before when you've mentioned the work you and your wife do but I'm going to say it again, you're the best of people, the pair of you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3628
    Well done mate, you and the Mrs.

It's a great thing you have done.
  • 'Cos You and your Wife are so skilled, it's not so much work this dog will need, more like your valuable time. 

Another one lives to fight another day. 

Big thumbs up to you both. 
  • Bloody well done. Updates will be needed :) 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Well done mate.....I proper teared up on the first post there. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • Awesome stuff, we'll need a pic if all goes ahead!
    Pics will be provided. Will be taking things slowly to get her used to us..
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26638
    Brilliant work. It depresses me that the system is set up such that dogs who only need a bit of calm attention to show they've got the capacity for "settling in" rarely get it, and end up on "the list".

The assessment always seems to take place when they're already at the pound, surrounded by noise and scary smells, usually when they've just been caught. That puts the dog's stimulation level way past the "comfortable" threshold so there's no way to accurately assess the dog's temperament, and has the heartbreaking result that so many dogs are written off and euthanised when all they need is a few moments to be themselves.
    <space for hire>
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Unfortunately there are far too many rescue dogs. You have to draw a line somewhere.
    A dog that under stressful situations seems calm and non aggressive vs a dog that does not.
    Dog Charities are lacking the funds as it is. At least the dogs suffering is stopped when you put them down.
    Unfortunately there are far too many rescue dogs. You have to draw a line somewhere.
    A dog that under stressful situations seems calm and non aggressive vs a dog that does not.
    Dog Charities are lacking the funds as it is. At least the dogs suffering is stopped when you put them down.
    Part of the problem with this dog is she has been in and out of established rescues that have severely let her down