Brown, hairy and broken

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265

There are some sick people in this world that can break a dog this much.
    Good work mate. Animal cruelty sickens me, to the point where the perpetrators should have psychological assessments. Far too many links between animal abuse and criminality IMO to simply be brished away with a pet ban and community service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26638
    edited August 2017
    Unfortunately there are far too many rescue dogs. You have to draw a line somewhere.
    A dog that under stressful situations seems calm and non aggressive vs a dog that does not.
    Dog Charities are lacking the funds as it is. At least the dogs suffering is stopped when you put them down.
    Part of the problem with this dog is she has been in and out of established rescues that have severely let her down
    Presumably one of the "unadoptables". @Axe_meister - most of the euthanised dogs aren't suffering, they're just scared and can easily (and often trivially) be rehabilitated. Here's a perfect example:

She would be considered "unadoptable" by most rescues, especially state shelters. All she needed was to feel safe again.

One of ours, Mac, was one of them (he was our first dog). The rescue actually went to great lengths to persuade us not to take him - they said there was nothing that could make him safe or sociable, and (after much badgering) they made us sign a release to absolve them of all liability when he bit somebody or killed someone's dog (he was very dog-aggressive, they said). He's been with us for 12 or 13 years now (sadly, nearing his sell-by date).

That's not to say he hasn't been a challenge, and I've got the scars to show where he's bitten me few times (and my brother once), but on the whole he's had a good life and now lives with three other dogs quite happily.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Well we are going to see her again tonight and see how she is getting on. If she is starting to bond with us then we will need to make some plans!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    @digitalscream fear is a form of suffering.
     The shelters have to draw a line somewhere rightly/wrongly.
    Take two scared dogs one shows some signs of trusting humans the other not and a budget that only allows so many dogs a week, then the most scared will be put down.
  • Fingers crossed for tonight.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Thanks for that @Bridgehouse - heartwarming to hear about good folks doing good things.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
    Outstanding work Bridgy, I am truly humbled. I love animals, more than people really. We have 2 rescue cats and I love 'em to bits.

Well she's doing fine.

Still very nervous and very very unhappy in the kennel. 

However, took her into the paddock, gave her some high value treats, and let her get on with being a dog for a bit. Once she had explored, settled and realised she was safe, she started to come out of her shell.

Took a half an hour or so but she started to respond to us. Within the hour she was fully focussed and starting to bond. 

In the kennel, she is arch back, head to the floor, ears pinned back, tail firmly stuck to her belly and won't make eye contact. Peeing and the slightest noise.

In the paddock, with some encouragement and some time.....

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So, are you taking her home? 

Say you are. 
    So, are you taking her home? 

Say you are. 
    Of course. Thursday. Need to check she is okay with our three, but it's no different a scenario to the last one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    Someone needs a boop.
  • So, are you taking her home? 

Say you are. 
    Of course. Thursday. Need to check she is okay with our three, but it's no different a scenario to the last one.
    You've made my bloody day. 

I'll watch for you, somewhere down the line I'll do you a favour. Expect it. 

Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I'll admit that I dont particuarly like dogs. However I like people who abuse them less. Also that is one cute dog and you have a wow from me. 

Good luck and good karma your way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    Great stuff. Have a Wow, truly awed.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Ahhh, lovely looking dog. I take my hat off to the both of you for being wonderful people. 
    Shit just got serious - had to buy another dog bowl on the internet!

:D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Wonderful story. You and your wife are lovely people. Hope she settles in. Keep us updated!  
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm proud to call you a friend.
    Well done both of you.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Brown, hairy and broken... Sounds like my bumhole.

She is gorgeous and I'm so happy she's found you. Incredible stuff.
    My V key is broken