Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Name an album on which you admire the guitar playing

What's Hot

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Albert King - 'Born under a bad sign'. Killer lead playing (obviously) and mr Cropper backing him up isnt too shabby either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Trouble - Psalm 9. The best guitar sound in heavy metal and not a weak moment.
    Rainbow - Rising and Long Live Rock n Roll. Untouchable.
    Wishbone Ash - Argus. Takes me away.
    Iron Maiden - Killers. Their most 70s metal album. And my favourite record of all time. Oddly it has a couple of their fastest songs  but is rooted in Montrose and Purple

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Dinosaur Jr - Bug
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Rocker said:
    What is the point of these threads? It ought to be a suggestion of an album worth listening to (and of course, buying). Rather it becomes a boring list of albums with little or no indication of the music type or genre.
    This is what's gone wrong with this forum. Too many old people who don't play a guitar, or play it very badly and are utterly self-conscious about it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28350
    Rocker said:
    What is the point of these threads? It ought to be a suggestion of an album worth listening to (and of course, buying). Rather it becomes a boring list of albums with little or no indication of the music type or genre.
    Have you read your two contributions to the thread? Both are the name of the artist and the name of the album and nothing else.

Most of the rest of us have managed to provide considerably more context than you.

This, for reference, is an excellent example of why people don't treat you with a lot of respect - you simply don't ever earn it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited August 2017
    I've been listening to the VU's poppy last album for the last couple of days and love the guitar on it. I'm shite at guitar and appreciate the simplicity of playing I can actually emulate.

Edit  - "Loaded", forgot to name the album!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Rocker said:
    Yeah, but my player doesn't support 78s...
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    RATM's debut
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Circa Survive - On Letting Go
    After you and my friend Mike recommended that album to me at the exact same time, I went and checked it out. I listen to it every few days! Love it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    American Idiot

Mostly because I'm listening to it right now and it's making my afternoon much much better, but also because, while it's hardly a virtuoso Vai-esque thing (thank god) there isn't a single note on there that isn't perfectly placed. It's just the most perfect "punk" rock album.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Off the top of my head choice of Walter Trout and Blues for the Modern Daze. 
    I like Walter's aggressive blues playing but dull songwriting and uninteresting covers means I can normally only cope with a couple of songs but he gave himself some structure ( even a bit if eccentricity) on this so it works well. 
    Much as I've become bored with 'white cat with a strat blues' ( as Bob Margolin used to sarcastically say) this is better than that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22919
    I like Walter's aggressive blues playing but dull songwriting and uninteresting covers means I can normally only cope with a couple of songs but he gave himself some structure ( even a bit if eccentricity) on this so it works well. 
    Much as I've become bored with 'white cat with a strat blues' ( as Bob Margolin used to sarcastically say) this is better than that. 

@EricTheWeary ; So what was different about that album in particular?  I like Walter Trout (largely because he plays such a ridiculously cool hardtail '70s Strat) but I also struggle with blues and blues-rock albums filled with dull boring songs. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Philly_Q said:

@EricTheWeary ; So what was different about that album in particular?  I like Walter Trout (largely because he plays such a ridiculously cool hardtail '70s Strat) but I also struggle with blues and blues-rock albums filled with dull boring songs. 
    Well, there's probably a bit of dull and boring going on but there's a lot of personal lyrics - not in the sense that they are about his willy or anything, but his view of the world ( trying to remember but a song about his brother, one about his mother, one about people watching too much TV, might be some stuff about his alcoholism, etc). IIRC there's a short spoken word track and an acoustic track and a couple of slow ones so it's reasonably varied. 
    His playing tends to be fast but aggressive, bit like Gary Moore in that sense. I've got a couple of previous albums but they're about the guitar playing with no other significant content ( to my ears) and are boring beyond a couple of songs so this worked much better. 
    IIRC when he was promoting the album it's all his old strat and a boogie combo as pictured on the front sleeve and very little else. He said he writes using a tape recorder and a toy drum machine that used to belong to one of his kids. He was a child prodigy on jazz trumpet but gave it up for guitar. Interesting, likeable man. This was made before he became ill ( he had a liver transplant), I haven't caught up with his post recovery recordings as yet.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    A tough one - I'll for for an album record in 1970. Moving waves by Focus which had one whole track on side two called Eruption which as a classical prog rock affair which launched the career of Jan Akkerman in the UK. The guitar tones and shredding on track one were amazing for the time.

Here's part of Eruption ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    beed84 said:
    Rocker said:
    I think you've overcomplicated things. It doesn't matter if we like the album you suggest, and you're not trying to influence us to buy it or listen to it; it's merely a thread whereby you merely choose an album with guitar playing you admire. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain the purpose of threads such as this @beed84. I get it now.

In response to @Sporky, the Mick Hanly album I alluded to is broadly folk music. Similar in style and content to Christy Moore which I may have suggested too. Amplified acoustic guitar, probably amped under saddle and not like a louder acoustic guitar. Superb playing though.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I've been listening a lot to the recent Peter Perrett album "How The West Was Won". It was a really wonderful and unexpected surprise. The guitar playing on it is really wonderful. Well worth checking out.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Oh I forgot to add. @Sporky, it does not matter what you think of me. I never posted to meet with your approval. If anyone else feels the same about my posts, then I can only say apologies guys. 

Your comment about my poor guitar playing is not far off the mark @Drew_TNBD. But I enjoy playing and doing my best. So what if it fails to reach the required standard....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22919
    Rocker said:
    Your comment about my poor guitar playing is not far off the mark @Drew_TNBD. But I enjoy playing and doing my best. So what if it fails to reach the required standard....
    That's the first time I've given you a wisdom.
  • I managed to narrow down to two
    Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
    All the subtle notes in all the right places. To be fair it's a perfect album in every way. 

The Smiths- Meat is Murder,
    I noticed it's been mentioned earlier.  Headmasters Ritual and Barabarism are just wonderful Marr at his vey best. 
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited October 2017
    Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine etc...