That Peter Green pickup thing (again!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    I'm led to believe that after G Moore sold that LP he used various replicas and Custom Built LP's from Gibson with BK  replica p/ups fitted on a few of them - If any one knows how good the original p/ups and BK versions are then it is GM and he used those BK versions for a while on a few guitars so some big compliment in there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emiel said:
    the volume drop is very large with both pickups at equal volume. Only at the quietest bits they might have gone for the full OOP effect. It's very clear when they do. 

I suspect my Gibson Country Gent may have a backwards pickup. It had had the wiring buggered about with and was quiet in the middle position which I assumed was due to the modded wiring – previously it had only master vol and master tone so I couldn't roll a bit of one pickup out of the mixed position.

It's been rewired back to factory spec and is still quiet in the middle but roll one volume down to 7 and it comes back up to expected output – just like @Emiel's description above.

It's not a problem as my go to middle tone is bridge with the neck rolled down a bit anyway comparatively. I suppose at some point I could get someone knowledgeable on pickup construction to have a look just out of curiosity to see what's going on but I don't plan to try and have it remedied.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    paganskins said:

I suspect my Gibson Country Gent may have a backwards pickup. It had had the wiring buggered about with and was quiet in the middle position which I assumed was due to the modded wiring – previously it had only master vol and master tone so I couldn't roll a bit of one pickup out of the mixed position.

It's been rewired back to factory spec and is still quiet in the middle but roll one volume down to 7 and it comes back up to expected output – just like @Emiel's description above.

It's not a problem as my go to middle tone is bridge with the neck rolled down a bit anyway comparatively. I suppose at some point I could get someone knowledgeable on pickup construction to have a look just out of curiosity to see what's going on but I don't plan to try and have it remedied.
    Yes, that sounds like they are out of phase.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Does 6 months count as a necro thread?

@icbm was commenting back in Oct about how the Greenie burst has something special going on that's more than just the out of phase thing.

Came across this old Gary Moore and Phil Lynott OGWT recording: https://youtu.be/W9xyWxXyOOg

Take a look at timestamp 1:08 - neck pup only and you'd not mistake it for any other Lester
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    BKP wind their neck PG blues pickup with heavy formvar wire as well as the magnet being flipped.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    SunDevil said:
    Does 6 months count as a necro thread?

@icbm was commenting back in Oct about how the Greenie burst has something special going on that's more than just the out of phase thing.

Came across this old Gary Moore and Phil Lynott OGWT recording: https://youtu.be/W9xyWxXyOOg

Take a look at timestamp 1:08 - neck pup only and you'd not mistake it for any other Lester
    and no bottom E string - that's spooky.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.