NGD and a neck pocket crack

What's Hot
SparkySparky Frets: 90
edited August 2017 in Guitar
First of 2 new guitars arrived today-a Squier Deluxe in beautiful Daphne Blue. To be used for kicking around with, taking on holiday for practice and when I fancy playing something other than my PRS SE Custom 24. But... it has to go back as it has what I've come to believe is an all too common neck pocket crack. I wouldn't mind if I'd had it a few years, but a few minutes is taking the mickey.

http://i.imgur.com/wL88YLP.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    That looks like a finish crack, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Especially not if you're going to be taking it on holiday.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Those lacquer cracks are really common and only cosmetic, happens on nearly all bolt on necks. If it was in the wood on an unfinished guitar Id be worried, this not so.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• SparkySparky Frets: 90
    Thanks chaps, I was a touch worried it might extend deeper than it looked. I may just try for a bit of money off instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Very very common. One of the Fender pro series I was playing last month had a crack at the neck pocket. Nothing to do with price or brand though. It's just a weak point on the body.

Hopefully it won't affect your tone ;)
    lonestar said:
    Very very common. One of the Fender pro series I was playing last month had a crack at the neck pocket. Nothing to do with price or brand though. It's just a weak point on the body.
    It's not even the body - although it can be, if it gets dropped or something - it's that the sharp angle in the corner is a natural stress point in the finish, so it develops a 'check' there when the body expands with temperature or humidity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27543
    Sparky said:
    I may just try for a bit of money off instead.
    Why?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    My 2000 American Strat developed a crack there not long after I bought it, and it's not fallen to pieces yet, despite being bashed around a few times.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Sparky said:
    Why?
    Have a wisdom @TTony ;)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:
    It's not even the body - although it can be, if it gets dropped or something - it's that the sharp angle in the corner is a natural stress point in the finish, so it develops a 'check' there when the body expands with temperature or humidity.
    Sorry, I should have included the word "finish" :) I'm usually happy to see that on bodies I'm doing given that they're nitro but on poly it's just a pain when you see it. Stil, it doesn't affect anything and certainly not enough to haggle for discount or a partial refund.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    You're lucky they didn't charge you extra for the relicing.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Sparky said:
    Why?
    I wouldn't expect it on a new guitar. Unless I am being either naive or unrealistic?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No reason not to ask. They can always say no.

If you were in the shop and you pointed it out to the salesman before you bought it, they'd probably knock off a few quid or give you a couple of sets of strings or something. Or, they may just say no.

And I do work for a small shop so I see the other side of this, with tight margins and picky customers… often it's better to make a clean sale for a few pounds less and not have any hassle with returns, either from the customer or to the supplier depending on how bad it is.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2017
    Its a minutely small neck pocket crack on a pretty competitively priced guitar and youre asking for some money off? Jesus
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I believe this is a standard feature on the Pete Towshend signature Strat....
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Sparky said:
    TTony said:
    Sparky said:
    Why?
    I wouldn't expect it on a new guitar. Unless I am being either naive or unrealistic?
    A guitar can sit on a rack in a shop, unplayed for 10 years before you buy it "new." It still may or may not have a lacquer crack.
    Just my 2p, but if you didn't know about the crack/were going given a photo before you bought it, fair play. If it's from a shop and you didn't clock it, that's different.

Fron playing Fenders from Squier to Custom Shop for 20 years, they nearly all develop that crack, sooner or later.
    Its a minutely small neck pocket crack on a pretty competitively priced guitar and youre asking for some money off? Jesus
    So because it's competitively priced, you think I should accept it with defects? I get the message that eventually they all develop this issue and that is why I came here to raise the point in the first place-to find out. At over £300 I would expect it to be free from such defects and if it develops later c'est la vie. All depends on what £300 means to you I suppose-each to their own. Christ.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    JDE said:
    Sparky said:
    TTony said:
    Sparky said:
    Why?
    A guitar can sit on a rack in a shop, unplayed for 10 years before you buy it "new." It still may or may not have a lacquer crack.
    Just my 2p, but if you didn't know about the crack/were going given a photo before you bought it, fair play. If it's from a shop and you didn't clock it, that's different.

Fron playing Fenders from Squier to Custom Shop for 20 years, they nearly all develop that crack, sooner or later.
    Bought online JDE. I played one in a shop a few weeks prior but decided to sleep on it. When I made up my mind, turns out it was the last one they had and it had gone hence the online 'blind' purchase. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Well, my opinion (which is meaningless), is I would expect a brand spanker. You wouldn't take delivery of a new car with a crack in the paintwork. Any really good shop would have mentioned the crack on a new guitar, imo.
    JDE said:
    Well, my opinion (which is meaningless), is I would expect a brand spanker. You wouldn't take delivery of a new car with a crack in the paintwork. Any really good shop would have mentioned the crack on a new guitar, imo.
    Precisely my point. In their defense, it looked unopened from the day it was sealed in it's Squier box so I doubt they were even aware.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    You are right to return it. I wouldn't have  a neck finish crack on a new guitar and contrary to what some people think it isn't normal either.

As for "they all get it sooner or later", I bought my US Standard new in 1989 and it hasn't got a crack.