Squier... Insane value?

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
Hey Fretboard, how is it hanging, free and easy I hope? ;)

I think I might have a Squier problem.

I currently own two, A Classic Vibe Tele Custom, and a Bullet Strat, that a fellow boarder set up for me at the weekend (thanks mate if you are reading this), and will now be my number one guitar at the jam, yup, I'm going to play with a £100 guitar, because it is so light that it feels like it isn't there.

They are so playable and such amazing value, so I kind of want two more...

https://www.coda-music.com/squier-vintage-modified-jazzmaster-olympic-white.html

and

https://www.coda-music.com/squier-vintage-modified-72-telecaster-thinline-sunburst.html

put me off, tell me to GAS, tell me I'm mad, but whenever I look at the more expensive Fenders etc, they are lovely, but none of the ones I've met yet are "the one".  These two seem like they are the fun girls you spend some time with who aren't the one, but you remember fondly.

I also kind of want a Classic Vibe strat and I'm really cross I didn't buy one of the pink ones Andertons were selling off last Xmas.

What do you think chaps and chapesses?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Allow me to be the voice of reason. 
    Under NO circumstances should you buy two more guitars!

You should buy 3! 
    http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/c7718a71f2bd0f36c43798bb14c02129-480-80.jpg
    Classic Vibe in shiny PURPLE! OOOoooohhhh!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited August 2017

Honest opinion? Keep the money in the bank until you realise Squiers are not "the one" after all. Then you'll have the readies to get something better.

But it's your money :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Allow me to be the voice of reason. 

You should buy 3! 
    fucking love that
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    edited August 2017
    Ooh, er, missus. Somebody here likes shiny purple heads.

Opinion #1 - If you enjoy budget guitars, by all means, continue to do so.

Opinion #2 - What amplification are you using? It is possible that there is a difference between budget and expensive guitars but your amp is incapable of revealing it.

Opinion #3 - The money that you propose to spend on numerous inexpensive guitars would probably be enough to purchase one, superior guitar. 

Opinion #4 - Coda Music is telling me to STFU.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Love a matching headstock @Funkfingers ;

i know they are an acquired taste but i luvs em 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I think 'chapesses' doesn't really work as a collective noun.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Allow me to be the voice of reason. 

You should buy 3! 
    fucking love that
    That's the one I missed out on pink/purple, Andertons were selling it for £250.
    Ravenous said:

Honest opinion? Keep the money in the bank until you realise Squiers are not "the one" after all. Then you'll have the readies to get something better.

But it's your money :)

You got a phantom lol for that, wasn't me!

I already know on some level they aren't the one.  Probably someday, oneday it will be some kind of tele.  There seems something fundamentally honest and pure about a proper tele.

But I'd quite like to play the field a bit before I settle down?

Opinion #1 - If you enjoy budget guitars, by all means, continue to do so.

Opinion #2 - What amplification are you using? It is possible that there is a difference between budget and expensive guitars but your amp is incapable of revealing it.

Opinion #3 - The money that you propose to spend on numerous inexpensive guitars would probably be enough to purchase one, superior guitar. 

Opinion #4 - Coda Music is telling me to STFU.
    Respectively..

I very much do, plus I don't worry about smacking them around, I'm a clumsy oaf.

A Boss Katana 50 for the most part, I'm unlikely in the near future to be in a situation where I'm thrashing into a Mesa Boogie on stage, home volumes only.

Indeed it would, I just have not found a single expensive guitar yet that feels to me THAT much better than the cheap ones.  Better sure, no question, but not THAT much better, not yet.

Coda Music have been highly recommended to me, I believe their main man posts here sometimes.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Theres a pink bullet strat on ebay for £70 at the moment...

...just sayin' ;)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Sassafras said:
    Usually fairly redundant around here as well, but there are some lady-members of the board.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sassafras said:
    Works for me!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    edited August 2017

I currently own two, A Classic Vibe Tele Custom, and a Bullet Strat, that a fellow boarder set up for me at the weekend (thanks mate if you are reading this), and will now be my number one guitar at the jam, yup, I'm going to play with a £100 guitar, because it is so light that it feels like it isn't there.
    I'm guessing you'll be wanting to try my Jaden Rose Modern T Light at the jam, then. Trust me, it'll definitely cure you of your Squier addiction

EDIT:
    I very much do, plus I don't worry about smacking them around, I'm a clumsy oaf.

Never mind, then D
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have said this before here, Squiers are good guitars.   I've owned 3 and still have 2 of them.  I sold off the strat because I've never really been a strat guy and bought it to really see.  I currently use my butterscotch Squier Tele(Affinity, about 12  years old) as my main gigging guitar.  Last year I bought a vintage modified Squier Mustang.  The only thing that keeps me from gigging the Mustang is I don't want anything to happen to it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

edited August 2017

Never mind, then D
    To clarify, I have the utmost respect for others property and will take the greatest care of any guitar I touch at the jam

Just worry about my own really, you haven't seen my kids when they see a guitar.  They will stop soon enough when they get a snapped E-string around the chops when they break it I suspect!
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    With a couple of mods, the Squier CV 50s Tele I own became better than far more expensive Teles I've owned. I doubt I'd get rid of it. The CV series is terrific and I commend you on your selection. It's not how much you spend on a guitar: it's what you do with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I picked up a Squier Standard Strat a couple weeks ago, and I'm shocked at its quality. The frets were perfectly level, allowing me to get the action down lower than a lot of the expensive guitars I've had. The neck feels nice and thin which makes it effortless to play.

Some of the nut slots needed lowering but that was a 10 min job, and now the only thing that differentiates it from a much more expensive guitar is the pickups.

Not sure if I got lucky but it's changed my opinion of Squiers for the better.
    antifash said:
    It's not how much you spend on a guitar: it's what you do with it. 
    Oh.... but I suck :( .... ;)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I checked out a Squier JB bass recently. No doubt it was a very good bass but not for me. If I was a gigging player, it would be a good buy. It did not feel right in my hands.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I really should have bought the burgundy must classic vibe strat when I had a chance.

Must save my pennies for the next insane bargain I see!