Squier... Insane value?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    It's true what some have suggested that crappy gear elsewhere in the chain can mask the benefits of other nice stuff, but I do tend toward certainly the Classic Vibe stuff being bonkers-ly good for the money. Guitars and basses. 

(That said, yep my AVRI Strat is "better") 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Any FB'ers coming to the jam, please help my GAS!

I'm currently not convinced that a 3k guitar provides me anything as a (mediocre) player that justifies the extreme outlay.

Hopefully you types can help me decide one way or the other!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Any FB'ers coming to the jam, please help my GAS!

I'm currently not convinced that a 3k guitar provides me anything as a (mediocre) player that justifies the extreme outlay.

It's not that simple imo.

I don't subscribe to the belief that only a "great" player can "justify" expensive or otherwise really nice gear. If you like it, and you want it, you go get it.

Weekend golfers don't worry about their pro-endorsed driver, average drivers don't feel shy to buy a Porsche or a Daimler. Anyone giving you grief about not being good enough for an awesome guitar is a dick.
    Do you need it? No? Nor does anyone really. But can you appreciate it? Hell yes.

Can you also appreciate a cheaper instrument? Yep.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Any FB'ers coming to the jam, please help my GAS!

It's not that simple imo.

I don't subscribe to the belief that only a "great" player can "justify" expensive or otherwise really nice gear. If you like it, and you want it, you go get it.

Weekend golfers don't worry about their pro-endorsed driver, average drivers don't feel shy to buy a Porsche or a Daimler. Anyone giving you grief about not being good enough for an awesome guitar is a dick.
    Do you need it? No? Nor does anyone really. But can you appreciate it? Hell yes.

Can you also appreciate a cheaper instrument? Yep.
    I don't subscribe to that idea either, I think it's your money, you buy what feels good to you.

The only person giving me grief for not being good enough is me, and only I can fix it! :)

Personally, I've not yet found an expensive guitar I loved more than a cheaper one, and in fact actively chose my Classic Vibe Tele over a Mexican Fender.  It's just my personal opinion of course.

Also tastes change with time, I used to really want an expensive Gibson Les Paul, but that has been fading with time.  I feel more and more affinity with Teles.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Get an affinity tele, is my advice!  =)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I picked up a 2nd hand affinity strat for my son yesterday. 

£70, way better quality and sound than I was expecting. Total bargain. 
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I have a Danocaster telecaster and an affinity telecaster.  But I love my affinity so much, it speaks to
    me so much more. 
  • Recently picked up a Squier Joe Trohman and was absolutely stunned at the quality. Pickup switching is a little odd and I have zero use for a kill switch but the basic guitar is incredible!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    edited September 2017
    Danji said:
    I have a Danocaster telecaster and an affinity telecaster.  But I love my affinity so much, it speaks to
    me so much more. 

I often wonder if by worrying a little less about a prized guitar getting dented, we sub-consciously play a bit better. 
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Danji said:
    me so much more. 

I often wonder if by worrying a little less about a prized guitar getting dented, we sub-consciously play a bit better. 
    Possibly, it was a working guitar when I was professional, so it wouldn't have been mollycoddled I would like to think that I treat them the same. 

It it feels right to play, as someone on here said before, they are like people.  Some are great and you form a great relationship, some are complete arseholes.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I reckon my next guitar might be a squier affinity tele. They feel great and I actually prefer the neck on them to a lot of Fenders I've tried - slightly narrower I think. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    TTBZ said:
    I reckon my next guitar might be a squier affinity tele. They feel great and I actually prefer the neck on them to a lot of Fenders I've tried - slightly narrower I think. 
    The Affinity series is the bottom of the range, but I've had a couple and they are quite good; I keep an Affinity Strat neck as a spare partscaster part.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    It's a funny thing, I saw an Affinity Strat at a boot sale as new for £50.

Posted about it on here and I had people telling me I didn't miss out on much as they were not very good?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    It's a funny thing, I saw an Affinity Strat at a boot sale as new for £50.

Posted about it on here and I had people telling me I didn't miss out on much as they were not very good?

A lot of people here have 3k custom shop strats, so they aren't good compared to those.

However at 50 squid they are an insane bargain. Perfectly playable giggable guitars
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I have an Affinity neck on my strat and I dont like it - too thin and wide which gives me hand cramps. It has tiny frets as well which make it hard to play but maybe they're just worn down. It only cost me about £20 so not that fussed. From what I've played of the Affinity tele neck it's much better though.