Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jeff Beck demos...

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    Vaiai said:
    Go back to the older stuff and you won't hear the trem so much - especially Wired and Blow by Blow
    I tend to agree - I think the trem arm use became more of his thing with the Guitar Workshop album
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Jalapeno said:
    Love the quote of Barney Kessel's Cry Me A River intro at the start of the first video
    Me too. All of the first clip I thought was stellar, and I think to a non-guitar playing audience would have been mindblowing. The second clip is not my style. I appreciate it, but that kind of stuff has been moved so far forward by Vai and others of that ilk, I'm not sure it does much for me. I find it gimmicky, and like any gimmick playing, it better blow me away or I won't like it. I actually prefer Beck's playing the most when he's doing the whole 50's rockabilly Scotty Moore thing. He is wicked, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was lucky enough to know Jeff personally twenty odd years ago. A thoroughly lovely guy and such a massive talent. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Blackjack said:
    I was lucky enough to know Jeff personally twenty odd years ago. A thoroughly lovely guy and such a massive talent. 

I've also been told that he's really nice. A friend of mine is a pro guitarist and last year Jeff was  the special mystery guest at a show where my friend's band was the main act. Jeff gave him a Strat!
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Incredible guitarist. Well we've had a recent thread on Robben Fod, now Beck, only Eric Johnson to go to make it a hatric of my top three "guitarists guitarists".

I'll chuck this into the mix, a lesson in dynamics that few guitarists can match.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2593
    tFB Trader
    first I heard of Jeff Beck was this, probably some of his best work on that album IMHO  ha ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d11yIXP4xJ0

• I've posted this before - but for my money the best thing I've ever heard him do:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @richardhomer that is such a great jam 
  • Heard a new Van Morrison track on the radio the other day and im pretty sure its Beck playing guitar on it. Certainly sounded like his more recent warblings. His tone is incredible. I love his older stuff and i loved the JBJ young guns soundtrack stuff.
    That Young Guns soundtrack has some of Jeff Beck's best playing  IMO.  

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader

And while we are on the subject.. For anyone who hasn't seen this... 

• Where Were You is truly lovely - but the use of the trem on everything irritates me. I wish he'd play 'straighter' from time to time - the trem thing really gets in the way of my enjoyment of his more recent work.
    Ditto Scott Henderson. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    tFB Trader
    57Deluxe said:
    ask him to play Hi Ho and that'll take the smugness off....

Ha.. I went to see Jeff and Clapton once (at the O2) and they played it..  The first thing Jeff did before they started was apologise for his singing :D

I got some footage of it 

Ditto Scott Henderson. 
    Truth. I know he's not, but I always think of SH as being constantly flat, pitchwise. He's the Dido of fusion guitar, for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5163
    edited September 2017
    Cirrus said:
    I don't really know much of his work, except that he played on Roger Water's Amused to Death and that's got some killer guitar parts, so I like him. Where, as a novice, should I start listening with him?
    I'm not a Jeff Beck superfan or anything, but I do like his Live at Ronnie Scott's album. It's basically a "greatest hits" of his solo career, but played with his current style and technique (unlike a lot of guitarists, Beck actually seems to get better with age), and without the dated instrumental sounds that might potentially put you off his 70s output.

Pretty much an all-star fusion band backing him too- Tal Wilkenfeld, Jason Rebello and Vinnie Colaiuta. Imogen Heap and Joss Bleedin' Stone guest (because Jeff does seem to like working with attractive young women), as does Eric Clapton if you get the DVD.

Plus with the DVD you get to look at Tal Wilkenfeld, which some people like, and you get to see various interviews with Jeff that will convince you- if you needed it- that he's 95% of Nigel Tufnel.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Cirrus said:
    I don't really know much of his work, except that he played on Roger Water's Amused to Death and that's got some killer guitar parts, so I like him. Where, as a novice, should I start listening with him?
    I'm not a Jeff Beck superfan or anything, but I do like his Live at Ronnie Scott's album. It's basically a "greatest hits" of his solo career, but played with his current style and technique (unlike a lot of guitarists, Beck actually seems to get better with age)...

I suppose I am a Jeff Beck superfan. I agree that Live at Ronnie Scott's is a good place to start for the reasons given above.

It's not a competition.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    I've posted this before - but for my money the best thing I've ever heard him do:

I love the fact that Beck is actually mimicing Clapton and out-Clapton's him on that middle solo on Let it Roll - that's why Eric is laughing. Brilliant.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Cirrus said:
    I'm not a Jeff Beck superfan or anything, but I do like his Live at Ronnie Scott's album. It's basically a "greatest hits" of his solo career, but played with his current style and technique (unlike a lot of guitarists, Beck actually seems to get better with age)...

I suppose I am a Jeff Beck superfan. I agree that Live at Ronnie Scott's is a good place to start for the reasons given above.

Not for Tal Wilkenfeld or the "proof I'm Nigel Tufnel" interviews? ;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Cirrus said:

Yes..  This gig is an absolute mater class in guitar and music... Ive watched it a few times and it totally mesmerises me each time..  Watching him play is such a pleasure. And as mentioned... He just seems to get better and better with age and doesn't hold himself back with pre-conceptions.

Even if you don't usually listen to this sort of music.. You should really give it a try.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    May be a good place for my all time favourite Ronnie Corbett joke...
    I went to the doctor and asked him if he had anything for a stiff old hip joint. He said: yes. Here's two tickets to Ronnie Scott's.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom