Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Has Henning Pauly just nuked his credibility?

What's Hot

Comments

• Danji said:
    Is everything Chapman related thought to have holy cow status? 
    Yes, you're not even allowed to say anything negative about Chapman gear on the Andertons YT channel or they'll call you a dick, a troll, not a real musician and, worst of all, they will block you from being able to comment ever again.  
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    DLM said:
    Is Henning Pauly a made-up name?

@Chillidoggy Nah, he's from somewhere by Wetzlar, I think.
    Never heard of it.
    That's where Leica cameras are from.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Danji said:
    Yes, you're not even allowed to say anything negative about Chapman gear on The Fretboard or they'll call you a dick, a troll, not a real musician and, worst of all, they will block you from being able to comment ever again.  
    FTFY
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danji said:
    Yes, you're not even allowed to say anything negative about Chapman gear on the Andertons YT channel or they'll call you a dick, a troll, not a real musician and, worst of all, they will block you from being able to comment ever again.  
    Negative seems rightly to be OK.  Nasty seems not. Which I think is fair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Danji said:
    Same here .. Chapman is God though ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @thomasross20 He's a German guitar YouTuber, Tiggs. He talks a lot and posts really long vids, but has a really nice set of guitars and is a pretty good player. I think Thomann even made him a signature model on their cheapie house brand because he has lots of subscribers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    He's an acquired taste but I check his Harley Benton videos now and then.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    When did Henning Pauly have credibility? Talks too much, isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is (read: he isn't funny).
    Funny for a German though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @DLM.... long videos? That'll be why I never watched :lol: 
  • Sassafras said:
    When did Henning Pauly have credibility? Talks too much, isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is (read: he isn't funny).
    Funny for a German though.
    You're thinking of the other German called Henning.

Image result for henning wehn

=/=

Image result for henning pauly

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• When did Henning Pauly have credibility? Talks too much, isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is (read: he isn't funny).
    German humour is no laughing matter.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    I kept seeing this thread yesterday but couldn't watch the clip at work so I was completely baffled.

I've now watched the whole thing and all it did was make me wonder exactly what he said in the original review quick impression video.  Can it really have been that bad that he feels so terribly guilty?  It seems like someone has put a lot of pressure on him to force this extended piece of Chapman-fluffing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    From what I could gather, everyone who commented on the video thought the guitar sounded shit, but he quite liked it? Admittedly I just skimmed it because he does my head in.
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    Philly_Q said:
    I've now watched the whole thing and all it did was make me wonder exactly what he said in the original review quick impression video.  Can it really have been that bad that he feels so terribly guilty?  It seems like someone has put a lot of pressure on him to force this extended piece of Chapman-fluffing.
    He tested several 'off the shelf' Chapman guitars (as might be supplied to a customer) all of which were dogs - sounded bad, had tuners fitted at various angles, dodgy switches and electrics, that sort of thing. Pauly was nonetheless very uncritical, even positive about the guitars. Then loads of people commented pointing out that the guitars were dogs, so in response to the comments he deleted the video. He admits he talked with various bods associated with Chapman guitars about the video, buy says they didn't ask him to take it down. This might well be true, but I would think it highly likely they influenced his decision to delete the video.
  • I'm struggling to think how anyone who includes schoolgirl click bait in their guitar-related videos can have any credibility at all.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The other Henning is much better:

"I was watching the football the other night. Austria-Hungary."
    "Oh yeah, who were they playing?"
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    I'm struggling to think how anyone who includes schoolgirl click bait in their guitar-related videos can have any credibility at all.
    From what I have see the main reason Kiana is on there is self promotion. (By her, not him.) Even her mother gets in on the act sometimes. This is her channel, which she has promoted on Pauly's channel.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    Wasn't it this Henning guy who did that long video about how bad the Kemper was for the music industry because of something about every single Kemper owner buying loads of boutique amps online, modelling them, and then using DSR to return them, then buying the next one etc.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    edited September 2017

Thanks for the background info @Three-ColourSunburst

The comments he makes in this current video about the misaligned tuners, faulty swtch etc being "not a big deal" are ridiculous.  That's been the whole point about budget guitars made in Korea and more recently Indonesia and China, the parts and components may not be the highest-spec but the quality control is generally excellent.

I wonder if this is driven not by Chapman but by Thomann.  They send him guitars for review quick impression, he makes some negative comments (or positive comments which inspire negative comments)  which might cost them some sales, he pulls the video for fear of damaging his relationship with Thomann. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom