Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Michel Barnier

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2017
    Evilmags said:
    Their is no legal contractual obligation for the UK to pay anything. It has been very clearly explained by treasury lawyers to the EU and why Barnier has a wasp up his ass. 
    Hmm. There's law, and then there's doing the right thing. Sometimes not related.
    What is the right thing? We are not getting divorced as we were never married. If you join a golf club and decide to leave they don't send you a bill for future improvements to the greens and club house. The EU's own lawyers have told Barnier and co that such a bill is unenforceable and has no basis in law.

The BBC were at it on last night's news. The EU gives the UK £XXX - no it doesn't. The EU returns some of our money. When we leave we will have spare cash to continue with UK projects that had 'EU cash' - paying for those is fair. The UK government has already offered billions to remain in the EU science group.

The EU stance is bonkers. Poor negotiating. Had I been Barnier and co I'd have given the UK a list of things that would no longer be funded and move straight onto trade. He's opening gambit could then have been "Free market access costs 100 billion Euros a year" or whatever ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    mellowsun said:

Meanwhile we are turning away potential trading partners because we don't have the time or resources to negotiate a trade deal with them!
    Honestly, where do you get this stuff? We are "not allowed" to negotiate trade agreements because we are still part of the EU. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:
    Their is no legal contractual obligation for the UK to pay anything. It has been very clearly explained by treasury lawyers to the EU and why Barnier has a wasp up his ass. 
    Hmm. There's law, and then there's doing the right thing. Sometimes not related.
    What is the right thing? We are not getting divorced as we were never married. If you join a golf club and decide to leave they don't send you a bill for future improvements to the greens and club house. The EU's own lawyers have told Barnier and co that such a bill is unenforceable and has no basis in law.

The BBC were at it on last night's news. The EU gives the UK £XXX - no it doesn't. The EU returns some of our money. When we leave we will have spare cash to continue with UK projects that had 'EU cash' - paying for those is fair. The UK government has already offered billions to remain in the EU science group.

The EU stance is bonkers. Poor negotiating. Had I been Barnier and co I'd have given the UK a list of things that would no longer be funded and move straight onto trade. He's opening gambit could then have been "Free market access costs 100 billion Euros a year" or whatever ...
    The EU budget round starting 2014 runs until 2020.  The EU is going to have to honour it's financial obligations until 2020, which means someone is going to have to pay the share that the UK promised to pay in 2014.

The EU would obviously prefer the UK to honour the commitments it has already made, as if the UK walks away from these obligations the remaining 27 countries will have to pay what the UK promised to.  They had no say at all in the UK deciding to leave, but someone has to step up and show some responsibility.

The Brexit process itself is also going to generate costs.  Ports and airports will need to increase their capacity for immigration and customs, for example.  Nobody is starting to build any of this yet, because no-one has agreed to pay for it.  The EU27 keep hearing from the UK that they are going to have to not only fork out for the UK's budget commitments, but also dig deeper into their pockets to build the infrastructure that the UK leaving the single market and customs union will need to function smoothly.

The EU's position paper for the financial settlement makes no mention of amounts, it's just a list of all the things that someone is going to have to pay for.   It also lists where the UK has money to be returned, e.g. the paid-in capital at the ECB.  The EU has asked for a response detailing what obligations the UK believes should be honoured, and hasn't had one.

The position of the UK right now, including ministerial statements contesting any legal grounds for payment and suggestions that we won't pay anything amounts to a declaration to the EU27 that they will have to pay the full costs of Brexit  (I get echoes of "the Mexicans will pay for the wall!") 

As for the ongoing costs of the UK leaving the single market, that's already accepted bu the EU.  Brexit is a total non-topic in the German leadership debates because there's just nothing to discuss.  The UK wants out of the single market, all that's left is the negotiation over who pays for the outstanding costs of that decision.  

The EU don't have any grounds for urgency in discussing trade.  I'm sure they are likely to initiate negotiations over a trade agreement, but there is no reason to expect that this will be complete (or even barely started) by 2019.  The UK, by it's own choice will have third country status.  We know what that means as we've been a member of the EU implementing the EUs custom and immigration requirements for third countries for decades.  We have made it crystal clear that we are leaving the single market, leaving the customs union, will not recognise any authority of the ECJ and pursue an independent regulatory framework.  I'd expect that in 5 to 10 years we should expect an agreement even broader in scope than CETA, but that's still a long way from single market status.  I also expect the amount of goodwill that the EU shows in negotiating an agreement to have a direct relation to how much they've had to pay for our flounce.

The fantasy that the EU can or will allow single market benefits to a third country that rejects the single market's regulatory framework and refuses to acknowledge it's agencies of enforcement and arbitration is totally batshit mental.  The EU and Barnier keep telling us over and over that it is not possible and won't happen.  The benefits of the single market and customs union arise from the shared regulatory framework and the agreement of everyone to abide by agreed rules.  We're declaring that we won't share the regulatory framework because it's of more importance to us to create our own, and we won't follow the shared rules because we will only follow ones that we make up for ourselves.  There is no magic trade negotiation of any significant or meaningful scope.  From the EU's perspective there's some tying up of loose ends, all of which are of lesser importance than the 4 key areas currently being negotiated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    But wait, the EU won't have to maintain its obligations to give us all the money that we apparently receive from the EU.

To say that we should pay for expansion of EU ports and airports because we are leaving is "totally batshit mental." And TM was clear way back in January that we would be leaving the single market wasn't she? So who is pushing the fantasy that we could stay in the single market? But that doesn't mean there cannot be a trade agreement. The EU has actually managed to make them in the past with other countries who, quelle surprise, don't have to kotow to the ECJ.

If I was on the British side, my first aim would be to get the EU to be "realistic", rather than this ludicrous approach they are taking in trying to "educate" the UK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If I was on the UK side I'd start with zero as my opening offer. The EU are playing bulls hit merchants. They have had a free ride on defence since the 40s. Ex France they have no decent army, navy, airforce, weapons, nukes ect. That costs money and if they want to keep their umbrella they should be told to buck up their ideas. For all of Merkel''s economic power she has nothing to offer in military terms. Barnier needs reminded of that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    dtr said:
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

The EU budget round starting 2014 runs until 2020.  The EU is going to have to honour it's financial obligations until 2020, which means someone is going to have to pay the share that the UK promised to pay in 2014.

The EU would obviously prefer the UK to honour the commitments it has already made, as if the UK walks away from these obligations the remaining 27 countries will have to pay what the UK promised to.  They had no say at all in the UK deciding to leave, but someone has to step up and show some responsibility.

That means the UK would have to pay at most one year if we leave in 2019 - you also have to factor in the money that would have come back to the UK but which will remain in the pot. The EU is talking about us paying well into the mid 2020s. The UK has to agree to that and the bill before trade talks can start. I'd walk out. It's a stupid negotiating stance. They only have themselves to blame as Dodgy Dave didn't really ask for much and they treated him like dirt.  The quicker the EU collapses the better. It's corrupt and unaccountable and will bring war to Europe (the latter is the view of the Russian foreign minister).

David Davis should sit tight and wait for the cracks to emerge. If I were Davis I'd make a counter offer with costs covering defence and security. Without GCHQ the EU is basically blind. I bet the PM has a pretty good idea what's going on in the EU as if she has any sense GCHQ and MI6 are spying on them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4971
    Fuengi said:
    I think the fact that the EU want to punish countries for leaving is extremely telling. What kind of club does that? (One that isn't worth joining?).

<snip>

We really should stop spreading this emotive lie. It's intended to make people bypass the facts and get indignant. The UK has commitments that were freely made at the time and should be honoured. If someone renting from us decided to move out early and then said they weren't paying the rent they were due until the end of the period we'd still  say the rent is still due. Only the defaulting tenant would try and call it punishment. 

It depends upon the terms of the lease - giving notice according to the T&Cs is not defaulting and 2 years notice is plenty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    quarky said:
    But wait, the EU won't have to maintain its obligations to give us all the money that we apparently receive from the EU.

To say that we should pay for expansion of EU ports and airports because we are leaving is "totally batshit mental." And TM was clear way back in January that we would be leaving the single market wasn't she? So who is pushing the fantasy that we could stay in the single market? But that doesn't mean there cannot be a trade agreement. The EU has actually managed to make them in the past with other countries who, quelle surprise, don't have to kotow to the ECJ.

If I was on the British side, my first aim would be to get the EU to be "realistic", rather than this ludicrous approach they are taking in trying to "educate" the UK.

The problem with the UK not paying for upgrading the customs capacity of EU ports is that they might not get upgraded.  After Macron has to explain to the French people that a UK refusal to pay for budget liabilities means French taxpayers are on the hook, no-one his side of the Channel will give a damn about queues of trucks at Calais.

Sure the UK has significant trade with the EU, a lot of which stems from EU, US or Asian companies choosing the UK as a base for EU wide access.  If Nissan parts getting stuck in customs causes problems that the UK can't pay to resolve, the EU would simply suggest building a Nissan plant in the EU.  Nissan would move as that's the only sensible commercial decision.  Same for every foreign company.

The more problematic trade between the UK and EU is in the short term, the greater the benefits to the EU in the medium to long term, as multinational companies decamp to the larger market where the flows of supply chains and finished goods are smoother.

While potentially that *should* open opportunities for domestic producers to fill the gaps, such as seeing a renewal of a domestic car industry, in reality that assumes a significant supply of capital looking to make productive investment because that would be the best thing for the medium to long term.  Unfortunately I think the likelier outcome would be for the UK to focus on alleviating short term pain through further liberalisation of capital markets (the 'offshore' option).  This is the path we've been following for decades now, becoming the best place in the world for capital to seek short term gains at the expense of long term productive investment.  

Personally I think it's those policy choices that have been the real cause of the stagnation of the UK outside of the effects of the City which ex stockbroking shysters have blamed on the EU/foreigners.  But the UK's adherence to catering to the wishes of big capital runs deep, baked into our constitution (the City, Channel Islands and Caribbean crown dependencies all have exemptions from parliamentary oversight and regulation, with key aspects of their various constitutions entirely the remit of the Crown).

Ultimately though It'll all be decided by time and exponentials.  It's easy for leavers to say a hit to the UK growth rate is a price worth paying for 'sovereignty' or 'fewer immigrants' or whatever floats their boats, but with UK growth currently half the EU's 2.5% p/a the doubling time is just 60 years.  That's one lifetime to see the wealth and standard of living of the EU be twice that of the UK.  There's only so long that folks can look over a border at neighbours twice as well off as themselves because of ideological difference without them saying screw sovereignty, let's have some of that good life.

I've yet to see any credible suggestions of what's going to drive UK growth post Brexit.  The foreign minister promises we'll be saved by the exports of Yorkshire pudding to Samoa or some equivalent nonsense but it's all crap.  Trade deals can't save a country that doesn't build stuff, and we've got no hope of matching Germany or Asia on that front.  We've done well recently out of leveraging historical ties with the US and Hong Kong (combined with our flexible approach to dirty money and risky finance) with our single market membership, acting as a gateway to the EU, but we're shooting that horse.  Sure we can make 'more' trade deals as a gateway to the UK than we could make as a gateway to a continent, but they ain't going to match the value.

But you've got real belief in a plan that I've not comprehended.  What is it that's going to make us rich?  What will we do that will make us grow faster than our neighbours?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4971
    dtr said:
    Fretwired said:
    Evilmags said:

The UK's "commitments" were contingent upon membership and leaving severs any obligations; the remaining 27 countries can figure out how or if they wish to fund their projects themselves.

The UK has no obligation to contribute to the EU benevolent fund after we leave.

Of course, they may be some kind of a fudge implemented, whereby we extend leaving 'til 2020, in which case everything would fall into place - who knows?

• Fuengi said:
    I think the fact that the EU want to punish countries for leaving is extremely telling. What kind of club does that? (One that isn't worth joining?).

<snip>

We really should stop spreading this emotive lie. It's intended to make people bypass the facts and get indignant. The UK has commitments that were freely made at the time and should be honoured. If someone renting from us decided to move out early and then said they weren't paying the rent they were due until the end of the period we'd still  say the rent is still due. Only the defaulting tenant would try and call it punishment. 

so, what's the terms in this contract with the EU? what is the pre-agreed payments due to the EU?

I'm not sure your analogy is useful

Is this German MEP Lying?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/19/eus-brexit-chiefs-want-punish-britain-stop-countries-leaving/
     or this German MD:
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/a-view-from-germany/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • what everyone keeps forgetting is that if the Tories agree to pay massive fees to the EU, then they will lose a lot of voters, a lot.
    What incentive is there for the tories to agree to a massive punitive payment without  a legal basis?
    edited September 2017
    prowla said:

The UK's "commitments" were contingent upon membership and leaving severs any obligations; the remaining 27 countries can figure out how or if they wish to fund their projects themselves.

The UK has no obligation to contribute to the EU benevolent fund after we leave.

Of course, they may be some kind of a fudge implemented, whereby we extend leaving 'til 2020, in which case everything would fall into place - who knows?

Maybe we don't have a legal obligation.  But in 2014 the budgets for all European agencies covering everything from aviation safety, policing, disease control to a bunch of others, and a range of joint initiatives in things like digitising air traffic control systems, researching innovative medicines or developing hydrogen fuel cells, as well as the governing bodies, ECB, etc, were set.

Maybe you've not worked with budgets, but that means either you cut off the funding that those agencies and initiatives were told they'd get (i.e. stop paying people) or honour the budget commitments.  It's the second that's certain to happen.  If the UK doesn't pay what it agreed to in 2014 the EU27 will make up the shortfall because they are serious enough to realise that reputation, and the perception of honouring commitments made even if that commitment costs, is invaluable to international diplomacy, whether with other countries or business.

If the UK is serious about welching on international commitments it made just 3 years ago no-one will stop us.  Not least because we would no longer recognise the authority of any court to stop us (even if the ECJ ruled we should pay, we could ignore it as no longer binding).  But if we do, we shouldn't put much weight on a rosy future of international agreements because we'd have pissed away our reputation for keeping our word.

Quick question to the "don't pay" crowd... Is there anyone - country or business - who we shouldn't leave on the hook for money we agreed to pay if we can get away without paying it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dtr said:
    quarky said:

The problem with the UK not paying for upgrading the customs capacity of EU ports is that they might not get upgraded.  After Macron has to explain to the French people that a UK refusal to pay for budget liabilities means French taxpayers are on the hook, no-one his side of the Channel will give a damn about queues of trucks at Calais.

Sure the UK has significant trade with the EU, a lot of which stems from EU, US or Asian companies choosing the UK as a base for EU wide access.  If Nissan parts getting stuck in customs causes problems that the UK can't pay to resolve, the EU would simply suggest building a Nissan plant in the EU.  Nissan would move as that's the only sensible commercial decision.  Same for every foreign company.

The more problematic trade between the UK and EU is in the short term, the greater the benefits to the EU in the medium to long term, as multinational companies decamp to the larger market where the flows of supply chains and finished goods are smoother.

While potentially that *should* open opportunities for domestic producers to fill the gaps, such as seeing a renewal of a domestic car industry, in reality that assumes a significant supply of capital looking to make productive investment because that would be the best thing for the medium to long term.  Unfortunately I think the likelier outcome would be for the UK to focus on alleviating short term pain through further liberalisation of capital markets (the 'offshore' option).  This is the path we've been following for decades now, becoming the best place in the world for capital to seek short term gains at the expense of long term productive investment.  

Personally I think it's those policy choices that have been the real cause of the stagnation of the UK outside of the effects of the City which ex stockbroking shysters have blamed on the EU/foreigners.  But the UK's adherence to catering to the wishes of big capital runs deep, baked into our constitution (the City, Channel Islands and Caribbean crown dependencies all have exemptions from parliamentary oversight and regulation, with key aspects of their various constitutions entirely the remit of the Crown).

Ultimately though It'll all be decided by time and exponentials.  It's easy for leavers to say a hit to the UK growth rate is a price worth paying for 'sovereignty' or 'fewer immigrants' or whatever floats their boats, but with UK growth currently half the EU's 2.5% p/a the doubling time is just 60 years.  That's one lifetime to see the wealth and standard of living of the EU be twice that of the UK.  There's only so long that folks can look over a border at neighbours twice as well off as themselves because of ideological difference without them saying screw sovereignty, let's have some of that good life.
    that's a ridiculous attempt at extrapolation - you want to extrapolate figures for 3 months out for 60 years?

whereas the previous 9 years of UK growth was massively higher than the EU zone:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eurozone-gdp-growth-rate-uk-second-quarter-2017-eurostat-ons-eu-brexit-a7870811.html
    https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2017/08/01/13/eurozone.jpg

Since 2008, UK GDP is 11 per cent higher, compared to 6 per cent higher in the eurozone.
    The eurozone’s current period of strong growth is thought to reflect a cyclical bounceback, also helped by the European Central Bank’s ongoing monetary stimulus programme.
    The single currency zone has now seen 17 successive quarters of growth.
    The unemployment rate in the eurozone currently stands at 9.1 per cent, down from 12 per cent in 2013, but still double the UK’s current rate of 4.5 per cent.

So 3 months of the EU doing better after 9 years of the UK doing better extrapolates to the EU being twice as rich in 60 years?
    Do you really believe that?

and no one in the EU will care about queues of trucks at Calais?
    wake up, the UK has a massive trade deficit with the EU, the EU needs to sent massive exports to the UK. However, you assert that none of them will care if this is obstructed? Really?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    dtr said:
    quarky said:

<Snip>
    Macron can say what he likes. That doesn't mean the UK has an obligation to pay for airports, ports, or casinos. And you can be sure that EU companies that sell to the UK *will* care about being able to get their ship their goods to one of the EUs largest trading partners. To say that that trade disruption will be beneficial to them is nonsense.

As for your growth comments, the UK has grown faster than practically every major economy in the EU since the 80's, and even recent forcasts expect that to continue over the next 10/20 years regardless of Brexit. 

dtr said:

that's a ridiculous attempt at extrapolation - you want to extrapolate figures for 3 months out for 60 years?

whereas the previous 9 years of UK growth was massively higher than the EU zone:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eurozone-gdp-growth-rate-uk-second-quarter-2017-eurostat-ons-eu-brexit-a7870811.html
    https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2017/08/01/13/eurozone.jpg

Since 2008, UK GDP is 11 per cent higher, compared to 6 per cent higher in the eurozone.
    The eurozone’s current period of strong growth is thought to reflect a cyclical bounceback, also helped by the European Central Bank’s ongoing monetary stimulus programme.
    The single currency zone has now seen 17 successive quarters of growth.
    The unemployment rate in the eurozone currently stands at 9.1 per cent, down from 12 per cent in 2013, but still double the UK’s current rate of 4.5 per cent.

So 3 months of the EU doing better after 9 years of the UK doing better extrapolates to the EU being twice as rich in 60 years?
    Do you really believe that?

and no one in the EU will care about queues of trucks at Calais?
    wake up, the UK has a massive trade deficit with the EU, the EU needs to sent massive exports to the UK. However, you assert that none of them will care if this is obstructed? Really?
    Yes it's a ridiculous extrapolation, but my explanation for our GDP being higher than the EU's pre Brexit decision is that we've had a huge boost in being favoured as the gateway to the single market for countries that we've had historical links with, and our GPD is lower than the EU's post-Brexit decision because were not going to do that anymore. 

Like I said, I can't see any credible plan to make up for losing this gift horse.  We're abandoning a unique global advantage of history and geography in favour of... please tell me! - because now we're levelling the playing field by shooting ourselves in the foot I can't see how we expect to win the race.

Goods in transit have been paid for already - that's why they're in transit.  It's the goods that don't get ordered and never end up in trucks that might cause concern.  25% of EU exports to the UK are the automotive industry, mainly from Germany, whose car companies have around 100 production facilities in the UK, which are here because until now it's been commercially advantageous.  They could all move to the EU and that would be pretty zero sum - the EU would benefit and the UK lose.  Same with the Italian car industry.  After automotive, it's machinery and white goods (some of which is again supply chains for manufacture, which can all relocate), then foodstuffs.  Do we have a plan to grow more food, or are we more likely to struggle to maintain the amount we currently grow because we won't allow migrant workers?

You assume that multinationals that have picked the UK as a production base in the single market are a permanent advantage that we have over the EU, rather than a precarious benefit we have because of the EU, and that's dangerous.  You're treating it like it's a plan rather than a risk.  It isn't a plan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Ravenous said:

I love a diversion.  There are two reasons for the current state of genetically modified organisms in food:

1 - the US government are in the pay of business, and don't care a stuff about their voters

2 - the EU authorities want to protect their own agriculture from US imports

That's all there is to it.  The motivations are different, but it's nothing to do with democracy in either case.

Or science............
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    We don't get a huge boost from the EU, as we can't sell services to them. Yet they can sell goods to us. The UK is the 5th largest economy on the planet and a G7 nuclear power. That makes it likely that their will be a large line of countries wishing to do trade deals, all of whom have higher projected growth rates than the EU. Try living in the EU and you quickly realise how one sided things are. You can't buy cars or rent flats in many countries unless you are a resident with a job and tax number. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    why is it that when I hear the name Michel Barnier
    it makes me think of a company the makes bastard blue eye shadow for Essix girls... lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • dtr said:

Yes it's a ridiculous extrapolation, but my explanation for our GDP being higher than the EU's pre Brexit decision is that we've had a huge boost in being favoured as the gateway to the single market for countries that we've had historical links with, and our GPD is lower than the EU's post-Brexit decision because were not going to do that anymore. 

ah, I'd thought that being the 5th largest economy in the world meant that we were the 5th largest economy, 
    but you feel we are impostors, and that this success was all courtesy of the EU of course, even though only one EU state has a larger economy

our GDP growth (I assume that's what you mean) has been lower than the EU's for 3 months out of the previous 15 since the vote, but for you  that is conclusive evidence that the UK is doomed.
    In fact, our growth has been higher for at least 9 years, but don't let that spoil your inferiority complex
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom