Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PMT Northampton Issues

What's Hot
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong section.

I returned my Encore electric guitar to PMT in Northampton as the nut broke after owning it less than a week. As the guitar was still under warranty, they offered to fix it free of charge. Estimated time of repair was about 3-4 weeks. 

However, nearly 7 weeks later, still no guitar. I call the store and have been promised call backs which never happen. This really isn't like PMT to drop the ball like this, however I'm a bit cheesed off. 

I put to the forum;

A, how long does a nut repair typically take?

B, any advice on What to do next?

Any help would be appreciated 

Mark 

Fender Fanboy
Always looking for an excuse to buy another Stratocaster 

"So, no kidding, there I was, Clapton to my left, Hendrix to my right, me in the middle playing my 1943 Fender Les Paul." 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    A. About 20 minutes.
     B. Report them to Local Authority Trading Standards because they should have offered you either a refund or exchange.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    What was the issue?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    As it's been an unreasonable amount of time, ask for a refund or store credit against an actual guitar.  ;)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    They have probably sent it back to the manufacturer.  That can take ages.

They should be communicating better though.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    Sadly, I don't think PMT Northampton has an in-house luthier. I'd agree that swapping out a nut to an experienced tech is bread and butter stuff and shouldn't take long. 7 weeks is taking the piss...

Make a pain in the arse of yourself - especially if you can get hold of either Simon or Terry who own PMT (they don't work at PMT Northampton - they are Essex based, use your Google-Fu) and I'm sure it will get resolved very quickly.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• joeyowen said:
    What was the issue?
    The nut had cracked at the low E. I was in the process of restringing when it just fell apart. It looked like it had been glued already as there was a lot of excess adhesive. 

I really don't want to fall out with the guys there as I've been going there for 11 years. 

Thanks for the replies 
    Fender Fanboy

"So, no kidding, there I was, Clapton to my left, Hendrix to my right, me in the middle playing my 1943 Fender Les Paul." 
  • I found PMT were a bit slack in terms of communication via email, get them on the phone and they weren't so bad, not great but better than email.  Try getting on the blower to them.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Crikey!
    I didn't even realise Encores were still being made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7839
    If there isn't anyone in the shop to do that sort of thing they usually get me to do it - I'm in town tomorrow so I'll pop in and ask them ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Sassafras said:
    Crikey!

I don't think they are...this is a Terry Morgan.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Crikey!
    They aren't, but I use mine for gig guitars. They are cheap, sound ok when set up and it doesn't matter if they get damaged. Unlike my American Special Strat. 
    Fender Fanboy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    If there isn't anyone in the shop to do that sort of thing they usually get me to do it - I'm in town tomorrow so I'll pop in and ask them ;)
    Much appreciated 
    Fender Fanboy

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10642
    tFB Trader
    Can I just point out how bloody good the Fretboard forum is for getting things sorted ... we kinda take it for granted, but this is such a fabulous resource for musicians.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    oskal682 said:
    joeyowen said:
    What was the issue?
    The nut had cracked at the low E. I was in the process of restringing when it just fell apart. It looked like it had been glued already as there was a lot of excess adhesive. 

I really don't want to fall out with the guys there as I've been going there for 11 years. 

Thanks for the replies 

If their service is that bad, what's the point of continuing to use them/stay on good terms with them? Did you buy the guitar new? As far as I'm aware you entitled to get the guitar replaced or your money back (your choice) if returned within 30 days of purchase. Nevermind the 7 weeks, 3-4 weeks is a total joke to fix a broken nut and very poor customer service.
  • I've actually got a broken amp (well, its the power supply) to take back in this weekend, will let you know how they get on with that one.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've actually got a broken amp (well, its the power supply) to take back in this weekend, will let you know how they get on with that one.
    Did Anarchy in the UK kill it?

Serves you right ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did Anarchy in the UK kill it?

Serves you right ;)
    It actually broke before I even got into Quad!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33836
    edited September 2017
    impmann said:
    Sadly, I don't think PMT Northampton has an in-house luthier. I'd agree that swapping out a nut to an experienced tech is bread and butter stuff and shouldn't take long. 7 weeks is taking the piss...

You can build a guitar in less time.
  • https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

Go to Clause 10. 
    Particularly Clause 10.3.1. 

10.3. In the event of a valid warranty claim being made pursuant to clause 10.1.4, you shall notify us of the defect in accordance with clause 7.5 and we will either:

10.3.1. replace the Goods if they are in stock; arrange a repair (if older than 30 calendar days) or

10.3.2. refund or re-credit you the price;

at your option (if within 30 calendar days). Provided that if the claim is made on or after thirty (30) calendar days of dispatch of your Order, we reserve the right to charge you for our reasonable costs for dealing with your claim.

(Cut and pasted from the t+c's). 

Unless of course their online terms & conditions differ THAT much to instore purchases (save from distance selling). 

Worth using against them though mate. 

Once again I despair, being 9 years into a retail 'career' myself, if what you say is true, they've done nothing but give x amount of potential customers a reason not to shop with them. 

Or they could have chosen to give great customer service and straight up swap the guitar out or refund you, thus keeping you sweet and keeping you spending money with em in future, and not having a negative forum thread against them which hundreds of people will view. 

Why?! Why o why o why. 7 bloody weeks for a nut swap, which if its gone back to the manufacturer, you can bet they will just send a new guitar anyway. 

Madness. 

N to think Pmt turned me down for a job. 

Oooh I'm sour! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    I was interviewed for a job as manager of the Northampton store - I'm too professional to reveal the contents of that but suffice to say, I didn't take that job and won't ever work for them. I will keep arms length from S&T...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.