Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss and JHS - Angry Driver

What's Hot

Comments

• I would have thought an sd-1 into a marshally pedal would have been a more obvious choice. I like the footswitching options but £100 more than a standard blues driver, hmmmm. Think I'll wait for more demos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would have thought an sd-1 into a marshally pedal would have been a more obvious choice. I like the footswitching options but £100 more than a standard blues driver, hmmmm. Think I'll wait for more demos.
    There are a lot of demoes on YouTube of it already! 

I have watched the Rabea one now, definitely sounded less arse than in the PMT one although I can't say I was blown away. Having said that overdrive demoes on YouTube is not a great way to have an idea about any of them, IMHO. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited September 2017
    It's a shame because it's probably brilliant- I love the crunch box and I love the blues driver and all in the best designed pedal box ever. Plus the stacking and parallel options... Very cool pedal. 
    yeah.

though as i said, maybe they should have teamed up with MI audio. or even just marshall, since i think the crunchbox is a modded guvnor.

plus as @mattismetal said, an sd1 into a marshally box might be an even better idea.

i guess this way you can put an sd1 in front as well, though. however, my digitech screamin blues didn't like being boosted, and i wonder if the bd2 is the same.

EDIT: @juansolo is bang-on with his assessment of pedal companies. I don't mind clones if they're up-front; I do mind clones if they pretend not to be clones (especially if, as he rightly said, they pretend to be game-changers and cost a ton of money). I like to know what I'm buying. I have enough pedals that buying a non-upfront-clone could very well result in my buying something I already have, or already know I dislike- it's not just pedantry, or being uptight, or whatever, it could result in spending (quite a lot of, looking at most boutique prices) needless money.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_Mc said:

i guess this way you can put an sd1 in front as well, though. however, my digitech screamin blues didn't like being boosted, and i wonder if the bd2 is the same.
    My first foray into OD pedals was a modded SD-1 into a modded BD-2 and it sounded epic to my ears. 

Unfortunately all my gear was stolen, and when I started buying back everything, I was talked into trying other things so I never went back to the same setup. I always consider going back to using those two pedals though
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    BD2 loves being pushed. SD1 - BD2 sounds great. Mids and volume into most drives or amps sounds great. 
    I would have preferred Boss make a good low gainer like the Morning Glory or something. I have zero interest in an open EQ drive into a Marshall flavour drive. Stereophonics city. Boooooring. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited September 2017
    ^ + ^^ huh that's weird. maybe it's just the digitech then. EDIT: or maybe i have a dodgy one, lol.
  • Wow says a lot about JHS sales levels if Boss got in bed with him.  Wonder how many other makers turned them down before they chose him.

I've only listened to the Rabea demo, and even taking into account I don't like his down-tuned metallisms (love his clean stuff though!) that pedal sounded mushy to me.  Which is a bit weird given its a BD-2 and a Guvnor together. 
  • Well at least this might be a jhs pedal that is made properly and has a decent footswitch. Guess boss want access to the USA p+w market?
  • My YouTube feed seems to have an almost endless supply of Angry Driver reviews. The Brett Kingman one probably the better of what I've had on. 
  • My YouTube feed seems to have an almost endless supply of Angry Driver reviews. The Brett Kingman one probably the better of what I've had on. 
    I'll check it out, the first batch were pants.  May as well get a ds-2 based on the demos.
  • Yeah why are the reviews/demos so poor! I'll check the Brett Kingman one; he's a good tasteful player. Bea is good at what he does in that genre but I tire of metal metal metal.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Could someone give me the skinny on the hate for JHS? Bad pedal? Or?
  • Philtre said:
    Oh boy......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    edited September 2017
    Philtre said:
    Oh boy......
    OK, I did a quick search...seems it might take me a while to get up (down?) to speed...but I got the gist of it.
  • Philtre said:
    Philtre said:
    Oh boy......
    OK, I did a quick search of the forum...seems it might take me a while to get up (down?) to speed...
    Just search for a review of any JHS pedal on any forum ( apart from TGP where I think some of this stuff got deleted) you'll get at least some of the story. The YouTube comments on his appearance on That Pedal Show rehash it as well. The homophobia stuff seems pretty much debunked, his links to a Christian sect may or may not bother you and which leaves the stealing other people's designs bit. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Philtre said:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    OK, I'm up to speed on the JHS issues.

I've always thought "JHS" was John Hornby Skewes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    I feel this new pedal release is bad for the Boss brand. Boss shouldn't need to collab with any other pedal brand in this way. Sticking another brand's established circuit in a Boss pedal together with a established circuit of their own is not what Boss should be doing imo. And my view isn't about JHS specifically; it is a general comment irrespective of who the collab partner was.  Boss are big enough, well regarded enough, and sufficiently long established, not to need to do such a collab.   If they feel unable to innovate their own new pedal releases, then maybe collab with a boutique builder/designer in the way DOD have done a couple of times recently, but not in this re-hash collab way.  One might regard it as a cynical marketing ploy to get boutique kudos: whether that works only time will tell.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Pedal politics aside, the new format for a 2-in-1 pedal is quite neat I thought. Imagine would work really well in one of the three loops of the MS3 switcher. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I still think it's a neat idea. Struggling with the price a bit, I mean it can't be that much more expensive than a metalzone to produce yet it's twice the price.