Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Has the boutique bubble burst??

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6177
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Fender have entered the boutique market again with their new 64 deluxe reverb.
    But a Fender cannot be boutique no matter how well-made they are, because they are "corporate" "big business" and "mass-produced".

Which reminds me to ask - when people are talking about 'boutique' here or elsewhere, do they mean genuinely small companies like RiftAmps, MJW etc who are true one-man builders and still assemble more or less everything by hand, or do they mean the mass-produced amps and pedals which despite having dozens of different names on them, all come out of the same giant factory in (I think) California? Because those are not actually 'boutique' other than in marketing terms - they're at least as mass-produced as a Fender.
    This, the one man band, small workshop style of builder is probably as close a description as you can get to describing boutique in the guitar sense. After you hit a certain size (who knows what that is) or output quantity, then you'd struggle to be described as boutique. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • People are less likely to post amps so this reduces the market size per item - which does have a larger knock on effect on all pricing it seems
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    It's perhaps not so much that Boutique amp prices are generally depressed but just like fashion boutiques ;
    Last year's style dates quickly in clothing terms and it's all about trend
    " Boutique" Amps are fashion driven...........the latest wonderful new re-invention the wheel........as soon as the hype dies down so does the price.
    ............and then the latest "must-have" amp du jour comes along and for 12 months the secondhand prices stay very high
    Lazy J anyone ?
  • personally im more confident dropping a few hundred on a guitar where it can be seen and most apparent faults show  whereas an amp might sound fine during the 20 minutes you play with it at the guys house but who knows what awaits when you plug it in later, and not being electronically wise it means a possible expensive trip to a tech.
  • ICBM said:
    Fender have entered the boutique market again with their new 64 deluxe reverb.
    But a Fender cannot be boutique no matter how well-made they are, because they are "corporate" "big business" and "mass-produced".

Which reminds me to ask - when people are talking about 'boutique' here or elsewhere, do they mean genuinely small companies like RiftAmps, MJW etc who are true one-man builders and still assemble more or less everything by hand, or do they mean the mass-produced amps and pedals which despite having dozens of different names on them, all come out of the same giant factory in (I think) California? Because those are not actually 'boutique' other than in marketing terms - they're at least as mass-produced as a Fender.
    Your problem there is, who knows what that factory produces.

I read some where that all Chase Bliss stuff is made out side now and only finished by CB. Seem to recall the same for wampler.

Also now complicated by how many pedals are actually the same box with a different algorithm on the SPIN chip...(keeley?)

I think for many boutique simply means expensive.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    If you can ask the builder to include an effects loop/extra feature and they can do it then it is probably boutique, this is why Fender have Custom shop, that is there boutique side really.

This is a USA "boutique" build for a brand already mentioned in this thread, don't buy this crap! most pro-builders can look at this layout and know what the amp is.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    People are less likely to post amps so this reduces the market size per item - which does have a larger knock on effect on all pricing it seems
    I was waiting for that point to come up. It has more or less made me give up on buying an amp on here. There have been lots of tasty things on offer, but usually far away, and as I have resolved to get rid of my Blues jr. before or at the same time as buying something else I'm more or less stuck. I realise I'm making things difficult for myself, but the physical difficulties of moving amps from seller to buyer play a large part here.  

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited September 2017
    @NPP Do you fancy an Egnater Rebel 30 212? I'm close enough to deliver 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    @NPP Do you fancy an Egnater Rebel 30 212? I'm close enough to deliver 
    not really, sorry. I was looking more for a Princeton or ideally Deluxe type thing - and a buyer for the Blues jr! I had the latter offered for trade in my sig for some years until Photobucket deleted the pics. You see the general level of urgency that matter has for me (i.e. I can't get off my arse) ...

• If you can ask the builder to include an effects loop/extra feature and they can do it then it is probably boutique, this is why Fender have Custom shop, that is there boutique side really.

This is a USA "boutique" build for a brand already mentioned in this thread, don't buy this crap! most pro-builders can look at this layout and know what the amp is.

Ooo intrigued. Spill!

I remember hearing that a couple of us boutique brands were just production line amps - they probably didn't start that way, but the business expands and they need more production. They share the same factory with loads of other companies. 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 203

Hmm, looks like fairly straight Princeton Reverb copy, albeit in a tweed-style chassis with a load of inexplicable red paint on everything.  I don't want to know what that costs, do I? 
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Well I've been looking for a second amp to complement the j20 for ages now and got fed up with the search and curiously bought a kemper. And to be honest, I think I'm going to halt the search for now. It really is pretty darn good, and will help me find my tone and preferred style of amp in a much cheaper way. Perhaps later I'll buy the real thing for that last 15%. But I agree, buying boutique is just so darn expensive and tricky to get rid of these days. 
  • MartinB said:

Hmm, looks like fairly straight Princeton Reverb copy, albeit in a tweed-style chassis with a load of inexplicable red paint on everything.  I don't want to know what that costs, do I? 
    I'm not sure what that is, but has he painted all the components so you can't tell what the values are? 

Is this the amp equivalent of 'gooping'
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72396
    professorben said:

I'm not sure what that is, but has he painted all the components so you can't tell what the values are? 

Is this the amp equivalent of 'gooping'
    Yes, and it's really beyond stupid. Not to mention adding a completely unnecessary extra cost to the amp, which the buyer ends up paying. As with most of these things it's more to disguise that the circuit is *not* original than that it is.

To be quite honest if someone brought me an amp like that for repair, I would be highly tempted to tell the owner to just send it back to the manufacturer because I can't be bothered working on it, even though I could make good guesses as to what all the values are and measure them if I needed to be sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 203
    edited September 2017
    It's odd, as it's an amp design which is very well documented and understood, on which any number of techs should know exactly what to tweak to adjust it to taste.  I don't think the maker is so much attempting to protect a proprietary "magic" set of component values, as selling the idea that he has the magic formula for this amp. 
  • ICBM said:

I think the company you’re referring to is “Boutique Amps Distribution” in the Los Angeles area. There’s a tour of the facility on YouTube (beware: the host of the video is extremely annoying):

• I think once you've settled with a sound after many trials with other amps s boutique is the best choice for future maintenance. I've had my lazy j now for 4 years and recently bought another boutique amp a Dualist and absolutely love then both for different reasons. As mentioned if you try and buy and sell on soon then boutique really isn't for you imo
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    polotska said:

I think the company you’re referring to is “Boutique Amps Distribution” in the Los Angeles area. There’s a tour of the facility on YouTube (beware: the host of the video is extremely annoying):
    Yes, that's it. Essentially all these "boutique" brands are just as mass-produced as the ones the "boutique" buyers like to deride for being so, except that with modern computer-controlled manufacturing it's possible to diversify the product range to the point they look like they come from different companies. They may well be high quality, but they are most certainly not hand-made in the way most of the snobs seem to think is desirable.

To be fair I don't actually find Henning *that* annoying, at least in small doses! Not as much as He Who Must Not Be Named anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited September 2017
    I admire the business model to be honest.  People good at designing amp models aren't necessarily any good at up-scaling to meet demand when it goes beyond one-per-week-in-the-garage level.  There have been some serious debacles in this area in the States with builders taking thousands off punters and then going under.

And everybody concerned gets confidence the thing is built properly by trained people who do what they do day in day out.  So everybody wins.

Don't like the high prices, don't pay them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:
    I admire the business model to be honest.  People good at designing amp models aren't necessarily any good at up-scaling to meet demand when it goes beyond one-per-week-in-the-garage level.  There have been some serious debacles in this area in the States with builders taking thousands off punters and then going under.

And everybody concerned gets confidence the thing is built properly by trained people who do what they do day in day out.  So everybody wins.

Don't like the high prices, don't pay them?
    I like the quality of manufacturing and the ability for small designers to get things made properly, but not the slightly dishonest marketing that goes with it. I would guess that quite a few boutique buyers wouldn't be too happy to know that their expensive amp or pedal wasn't actually made by the purported builder in a small workshop, but was done by CAD/CNC in an enormous factory just like if it was a Roland, Fender or whatever "mass produced" product they decided not to buy for less money.

Whether they're right to be concerned about how something is made is another issue, but it is definitely part of the way this sort of stuff is marketed.