Acoustic strings - a journey...

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyO said:
    I'm really not playing much so can't say with any confidence - but the Retros definitely seem to be in the longer lasting camp. A chap in Guitar Village reckoned the coated versions of the Authentics still sound really good so I may try those 
    Ok, I’m probably in the same boat - playing quite a bit at home but not like I’m out gigging weekly etc 

I found the old Lifespans were properly brilliant, and the new ones are good, but not quite as good after being used to the old ones for a couple of years (with 80/20s - I haven’t tried the phosphors). I’m keen to hear your thoughts and have retros and authentics on the way so will report here how I find both of those.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
    jaymenon said:
    One practicality is that if you have a number of acoustic guitars, then the longevity of strings becomes a really relevant matter - and I've reverted therefore to using Elixirs (previously a D'Addario EJ16 / EXP16 user).

The Elixirs are a little more 'slippery' and so I find one can get more 'physical' so to speak with uncoated strings.

I totally agree re: the slightly brittle / bright sound of Elixirs - but I find that's only for the first couple of days.  After two days Elixirs lose that initial irritating brightness - and then they stay stable for months and months. And nothing else comes close...

'String sqeak' is also significantly less - and that makes a real difference whilst recording, especially if you want add a little top-end eq while mixing.

This is something I recorded with a month old set of Elixirs - no eq or processing, just used the mic on my MacBook...

Typo: Those strings were SIX months old...

Apologies for a typo  - those strings were 6 months old. I find that Elixir Phosphor Bronze sound rather tinny for the first couple of days. With some vigorous strumming, however, over 48 to 72 hours, they mellow a bit, and then, once settled, retain their tone (in my hands) for up to two years.

When using a plectrum, Elixirs win hands down.

When fingerpicking, I can get a better grip on uncoated strings with the fingers of my right hand.

But overall, the advantages of Elixirs still win out - unless you can afford to change strings very regularly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Just fitted a set of 13’s PB Mangans to my HD28 they’re my favourites at the moment.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I put my first ever set of Elixirs on my Martin DRS1 a few weeks ago, & while I'd not say I'm a convert (yet), I'm impressed with how they sound, and look forward to seeing how long they retain this sound for.
  • Well what do we have here? 

Authentics first, I think, to see if they get back to what the old SP Lifespans sounded like...

(for anyone who can't see the image, it's Mangan 80/20s, Martin Authentic 80/20 blue colour, uncoated, and Martin Retros. All 12's)
  • Incidentally, I still really don't like the Lifespan 2.0s and I'm saddened that Martin is touting them as "improved". They still conjure up a bit of Elixiriness under the fingers, and haven't got the mid range growl that this guitar had in spades with the old Lifespans.  (they were also still perfectly in tune after being in the case for 2 weeks, which is nice, but not relevant to the discussion!)

I also still love Elixirs on electric, but maybe I should try something else on one electric for a bit and see how I get on. Just once, for science...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    edited February 2020
    Done! Much better. The regular Authentics sounds great - very much a return of the midrange that was missing. 

They're a bit more draggy under the fingers, and I'll be keen to see how long these last, but I'd rather fit a new set of these every month than get 6 months out of a set that don't sound right. 

It's also worth noting that pick choice has a big difference. I've tried these with Tortex Yellows, Fender Heavy Tortoiseshells and a free Tort pick I got from Heistercamp. The Fenders sound markedly better, for whatever reason, and always have done with this guitar. They'd be a nightmare for going, mind - you'd never find one on a stage if you dropped one.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    Incidentally, I still really don't like the Lifespan 2.0s and I'm saddened that Martin is touting them as "improved". They still conjure up a bit of Elixiriness under the fingers, and haven't got the mid range growl that this guitar had in spades with the old Lifespans.  (they were also still perfectly in tune after being in the case for 2 weeks, which is nice, but not relevant to the discussion!)

I also still love Elixirs on electric, but maybe I should try something else on one electric for a bit and see how I get on. Just once, for science...
    Done! Much better. The regular Authentics sounds great - very much a return of the midrange that was missing. 

They're a bit more draggy under the fingers, and I'll be keen to see how long these last, but I'd rather fit a new set of these every month than get 6 months out of a set that don't sound right. 

It's also worth noting that pick choice has a big difference. I've tried these with Tortex Yellows, Fender Heavy Tortoiseshells and a free Tort pick I got from Heistercamp. The Fenders sound markedly better, for whatever reason, and always have done with this guitar. They'd be a nightmare for going, mind - you'd never find one on a stage if you dropped one.
    Cool - sounds like we have similar preferences, so I'm interested to see what you think of the Retros when you get to those  (I've not tried them in the D28 yet - just the 00 where they seem to suit it nicely)
    Red ones are better. 
    edited February 2020
    TimmyO said:
    Incidentally, I still really don't like the Lifespan 2.0s and I'm saddened that Martin is touting them as "improved". They still conjure up a bit of Elixiriness under the fingers, and haven't got the mid range growl that this guitar had in spades with the old Lifespans.  (they were also still perfectly in tune after being in the case for 2 weeks, which is nice, but not relevant to the discussion!)

Cool - sounds like we have similar preferences, so I'm interested to see what you think of the Retros when you get to those  (I've not tried them in the D28 yet - just the 00 where they seem to suit it nicely)
    Yeah, seems like it. I have high hopes for the Retros and then have the Mangans as a wildcard as so many have recommended them, but I'm not so bothered as the Authentics are great.  I can also see myself with a 00 style in the not-too-distant future - just watched the Andertons vid of the new John Mayer 00 which sounds pretty spectacular but more than a little "cost prohibitive"!  
    TimmyO said:

Yeah, seems like it. I have high hopes for the Retros and then have the Mangans as a wildcard as so many have recommended them, but I'm not so bothered as the Authentics are great.  I can also see myself with a 00 style in the not-too-distant future - just watched the Andertons vid of the new John Mayer 00 which sounds pretty spectacular but more than a little "cost prohibitive"!  
    If you can get to one make sure to try a 00-17s (or non s) - out. Standing. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    If you can get to one make sure to try a 00-17s (or non s) - out. Standing. 
    Yeah, will do. I’m thinking that may end up being the second “forever acoustic” so won’t do anything quickly, and definitely want to play a bunch of things before i even think about spending any money. I also don’t want to buy anything without trying an Atkin as I can’t seem to find a single bad word about them
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    TimmyO said:

I found the retros just didn't work on my HD28, it was totally different on my 00015m that I used to own.
    markj said:
    TimmyO said:

I found the retros just didn't work on my HD28, it was totally different on my 00015m that I used to own.
    Interesting thanks 
    Red ones are better. 
    I was just chatting to the chap on the Martin Strings stand at the guitar show and he explained that the lifespan versions of the Authentic strings are not coated, the material itself is treated before assembly/manufacture - so they “just sound the same” - I’ve bought a couple of sets of 13 Treated Authentics to try next on that basis.

when I mentioned I had a D28 Authentic he gave me a nice Authentic-branded swag tin too! Nice 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I was just chatting to the chap on the Martin Strings stand at the guitar show and he explained that the lifespan versions of the Authentic strings are not coated, the material itself is treated before assembly/manufacture - so they “just sound the same” - I’ve bought a couple of sets of 13 Treated Authentics to try next on that basis.

when I mentioned I had a D28 Authentic he gave me a nice Authentic-branded swag tin too! Nice 
    Yeah, they're definitely not the elixir/pepperami thing. I still found the new versions to be plinky and shit though. Will be interested to see if you agree!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

I'm just trying Lifespan 2.0 on my spruce/mahogany OM. Initial impression is that they're bright and loud for picking and i really like the trebles, but for strumming they're fizzy/thin/metallic. Only played a couple of hours so maybe they'll settle down. Otherwise, I can see that these would be excellent for certain styles and shit for others.   
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    currently trying some Gabriel Tenorio Strings. Bloody lovely so far! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    GTS all the way for me @brucegill also, I certainly wont use anything else whilst I have money:)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    mgaw said:
    GTS all the way for me @brucegill also, I certainly wont use anything else whilst I have money:)
    I’ve been idly wanting to try these for a while.  Is there any U.K. suppliers currently?
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Andy79 said:
    mgaw said:
    I’ve been idly wanting to try these for a while.  Is there any U.K. suppliers currently?
    https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/collections/guitar-strings

They’re out of 12s in PB, but I think you like Brass anyway don’t you? And those are in stock :)

had great service from James, really helpful too. 

I think there’s another UK supplier too, but not sure who.