Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Contactless card payments...how is this progress ??

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
So you lose your card (I never have but surely many do throughout the land each year) and some dishonest bugger finds it. Thinks to himself "ah I can go and spend up to £30 five times today and each and every day till the card is reported lost and stopped" So for the ease of use to the card owner there must be billions of £'s lost on fraud that this contactless system now allows. How is that a forward step or progress?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't believe it is progress, personally...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    It doesn't work if you cancel the card.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • It saves loads of time, which is a compound effect anywhere with a big queue like a petrol station. We don't have it yet in the UAE, despite my 2 main cards being capable - coming home was a revelation in expedient transactions!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know that but if you lose your card and its some hours of more till you find out its gone then if it falls into some scroats hands they could've spent £150 of your money....more if it goes into another day/s.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    siraxeman said:
    I know that but if you lose your card and its some hours of more till you find out its gone then if it falls into some scroats hands they could've spent £150 of your money....more if it goes into another day/s.
    That is pretty unlikely and it isn't demonstrably different from the days when you had to sign your name to use your card.
    Signatures are easy to fake and no-one really looks.
    And you get it back from the bank.

When my wallet fell out of my jacket whilst I was riding a motorcycle someone handed it to the Police station, rather than going on a spending spree. The Police dropped it off to my house an hour later.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • After a couple of transactions on the same day it'll force the next retailer to request a pin/signature.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    The increased spending generates more revenue than the fraud costs. 

It's a simple calculation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Get the chip cut out and have it inserted under your skin. Then you can wave your hand over the sensor . Two advantages: very difficult to steal;  people will think you're a witch.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Get the chip cut out and have it inserted under your skin. Then you can wave your hand over the sensor . Two advantages: very difficult to steal;  people will think you're a witch.
    I saw someone on the tube who was wearing a top hat, a cape and carrying a cane offer the cane tip up to the sensor and was let through.

5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick tip for credit cards / debit cards etc.  Get a small white sticker and write 4 random numbers on them (_not_ your pin, obviously).  If you lose it and someone picks it up they will think "this idiot has put their pin on their card" and they will probably try to withdraw cash.  Hopefully, the thief will make numerous attempts using the purposely wrong number and the cash machine will eat your card.  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    It saves loads of time, which is a compound effect anywhere with a big queue like a petrol station. We don't have it yet in the UAE, despite my 2 main cards being capable - coming home was a revelation in expedient transactions!
    Don't see how it saves that much time.  I have my cash ready before I get to the till.  The same people who would be rooting around in the bottom of their bag for cash will be hunting in there for their card, and will still take ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited September 2017
    Get the chip cut out and have it inserted under your skin. Then you can wave your hand over the sensor . Two advantages: very difficult to steal;  people will think you're a witch.

That is in the pipeline already! Search RFI chip. Interestingly, the bible actually speaks of the last few years under the reign of the antichrist (just prior to Jesus's return) who will be the leader of the 1 world government that without a mark to the forehead or right hand nobody can buy or sell. But that's going to be hard for you to swallow now, until you see it come to pass. That is the "mark of the beast" and something that = eternal doom for anyone that takes the mark. But ahem, back to contactless card payments.....
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Contactless saves a huge amount of time, I've sometimes got home as much as 3 seconds earlier than if I'd had to key in 4 numbers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:

That is in the pipeline already! Search RFI chip. Interestingly, the bible actually speaks of the last few years under the reign of the antichrist (just prior to Jesus's return) who will be the leader of the 1 world government that without a mark to the forehead or right hand nobody can buy or sell. But that's going to be hard for you to swallow now, until you see it come to pass. That is the "mark of the beast" and something that = eternal doom for anyone that takes the mark. But ahem, back to contactless card payments.....

I knew it this thread was a rouse and would descend to this..... 
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    It doesn't work if you cancel the card.
    I don't think that's currently true:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/08/tap-and-go-fraud-warning-cards-can-be-used-after-you-cancel-them/
    and
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/dec/19/contactless-payments-card-fraud-after-cancellation-bank-account

I understand all contactless WILL be validated in realtime but they're not there yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    In just annoyed they're contactless but media around them talk about tapping them, which is contact.
    My V key is broken
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm waiting for the day when beggars have iZettles
    I never carry cash with me these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    It saves loads of time, which is a compound effect anywhere with a big queue like a petrol station. We don't have it yet in the UAE, despite my 2 main cards being capable - coming home was a revelation in expedient transactions!
    Don't see how it saves that much time.  I have my cash ready before I get to the till.  The same people who would be rooting around in the bottom of their bag for cash will be hunting in there for their card, and will still take ages.
    If it saves each of the 6 people in front of me 10 seconds, I'm all for it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6090
    crunchman said:
    If it saves each of the 6 people in front of me 10 seconds, I'm all for it
    Wait a minute. Spend it talking to the mad old lady next to you, who dies and leaves you her house, where you discover a Van Gogh in the attic, which sells for 60million. 60 seconds well spent.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Means I tend not to carry cash.

What's the point in cash again? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom