Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Contactless card payments...how is this progress ??

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    It's not unpossible, certainly, but I think the risk is pretty slim.

Overall you're more likely to get scammed by someone selling you an overrpriced RFID blocking wallet than by someone successfully taking money out of your card with a roaming contactless reader. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick tip for credit cards / debit cards etc.  Get a small white sticker and write 4 random numbers on them (_not_ your pin, obviously).  
    You say obviously.   My uncle came round to our house one day and I noticed something written on his keys.  On closer inspection it was his own address!   
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Means I tend not to carry cash.

What's the point in cash again? 
    Not many drug dealers accept cards yet.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sassafras said:
    Means I tend not to carry cash.

What's the point in cash again? 
    Not many drug dealers accept cards yet.
    They do in the posh parts of London .. pizzas are very expensive and have some interesting side orders ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonic said:
    Get the chip cut out and have it inserted under your skin. Then you can wave your hand over the sensor . Two advantages: very difficult to steal;  people will think you're a witch.
    I saw someone on the tube who was wearing a top hat, a cape and carrying a cane offer the cane tip up to the sensor and was let through.

Was it Jacob Rees Mogg?
    or Lucious Malfoy?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • It makes the world run just that little bit smoother.  If you lose your wallet with cash in it, there's no real chance of seeing that again! You'll not be held liable for a contactless payment by your bank if someone did use it. So I'd rather that happen than me lose a wallet with a score in it!

Everyone wins! Apart from the moaners who enjoy picking absolutely everything apart and looking for the worst case scenario. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Get the chip cut out and have it inserted under your skin. Then you can wave your hand over the sensor . Two advantages: very difficult to steal;  people will think you're a witch.
    Lol at the lols - I know someone who has actually done this.
    How? Surely you'd need to remove not just the chip, but also the rather large antenna built into the card?  (An antenna of some sort is needed to power the chip while the read takes place.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 300

This happens in Sweden already(!) although they're using your "hand chip" as ID (instead of a ticket) rather than for payment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/sj-rail-train-tickets-hand-implant-microchip-biometric-sweden-a7793641.html

I can't imagine why you'd want to do this to yourself.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've had a small, unobtrusive ID chip implanted into my skull. It's almost unnoticeable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick tip for credit cards / debit cards etc.  Get a small white sticker and write 4 random numbers on them (_not_ your pin, obviously).  
    You say obviously.   My uncle came round to our house one day and I noticed something written on his keys.  On closer inspection it was his own address!   
    Damn :-(
  • Anything under £30 I use my watch to pay, bloody brilliant it is
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Anything under £30 I use my watch to pay, bloody brilliant it is
    You must have lots of watches
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom