Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mac and PCs

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30931

A can of worms of course, but how can one get the horrible wishy-washiness on a PC display to look like the crisp, easy to read browsing and email screens of a Mac?

It's horrendous at the moment. I can't even read Cornish Dymo labels properly.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You'll need to purchase a nice 4K monitor, basically.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Depends on the monitor, surely? I know some most monitors have a particular resolution they're designed to look best at and deviating from that can produce less crisp results, so I guess I'd suggest starting with that.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    it's a lap top chaps. :(

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you have a decent PC zthe it will look just as good u if not better than your Mac, it sounds like your monitor is at the wrong resolution, display settings is what you need then find the best res for your monitor 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, you're kinda boned then tbh dude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Yeah, all you can do is check different screen resolutions and see if one is obviously better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, all you can do is check different screen resolutions and see if one is obviously better.
    This, some resolutions will be native to the video controller and look superb, others are approximations and look dire. Unless you've changed them it's likely to be a Windows default setting (which is dire). That's why bog-standard laptops are less than half what a MacBook costs with the Retina display and what have you - if you spent the same money on a PC laptop as a MacBook I don't doubt it would have a superb display too ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:
    This, some resolutions will be native to the video controller and look superb, others are approximations and look dire. Unless you've changed them it's likely to be a Windows default setting (which is dire). That's why bog-standard laptops are less than half what a MacBook costs with the Retina display and what have you - if you spent the same money on a PC laptop as a MacBook I don't doubt it would have a superb display too ....
    Given how overpriced Apple hardware is, you could probably spend 30% less than on a Macbook and get a superb display.  You will probably get a significantly faster machine for your money as well.

Budget laptop displays are pretty poor though.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:
    Given how overpriced Apple hardware is, you could probably spend 30% less than on a Macbook and get a superb display.  You will probably get a significantly faster machine for your money as well.

It really isn't overpriced. I use both every day. Mac's are like Pete Cornish pedals- they just work sublimely well; Windoze machines are like Joyo Pedals- mostly crap but occasionally one does something well.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    edited September 2017
    What's the laptop?

For what it's worth, a lot of MBP users have commented on how amazing the screen on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro looks. It helps, of course, that it's higher resolution than their paltry Retina display...
    <space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:

It really isn't overpriced. I use both every day. Mac's are like Pete Cornish pedals- they just work sublimely well; Windoze machines are like Joyo Pedals- mostly crap but occasionally one does something well.

Now that is 100% Apple fanboi bs
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:

It's the same hardware inside - only the Windows one is more likely to have the latest processor if you buy a decent one.

Yes, Apple put it in a nice aluminium case, and put a good display on it, but there is nothing to stop a PC manufacturer from doing that.

It's very hard to say Apple aren't overpriced when you compare specs.  A 2017 Macbook Pro with a 7th gen i5, and a 128GB SSD is £1149 at John Lewis.

This has a 7th gen i7 and a 512 GB SDD and is £300 cheaper:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/768964-asus-zenbook-ux330ua-laptop-ux330ua-fb100t

It also has a 3200 x 1800 screen - which is very different from the 1366 x 766 that a lot of PC laptops come with.  That is reflected in the price though.  It's £850 rather than £450.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm very happy with my Macbook Pro. Helps that it's a work laptop that I haven't paid for I suppose. But I think if I leave the company and have to give it up, I'll find it very hard to cope with my old £300 shitty Acer laptop!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:

Buy a decent PC laptop you cheapskate ... :-)

PC's tend to get used by price conscious businesses - if you just need email, Excel and Word a basic £500 laptop is fine. The top end PC laptops are much better than Mac's to be honest. Faster processors, better screens - just get an i7-based laptop with a 4K screen.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    crunchman said:
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:

It's the same hardware inside - only the Windows one is more likely to have the latest processor if you buy a decent one.

Yes, Apple put it in a nice aluminium case, and put a good display on it, but there is nothing to stop a PC manufacturer from doing that.

It's very hard to say Apple aren't overpriced when you compare specs.  A 2017 Macbook Pro with a 7th gen i5, and a 128GB SSD is £1149 at John Lewis.

This has a 7th gen i7 and a 512 GB SDD and is £300 cheaper:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/768964-asus-zenbook-ux330ua-laptop-ux330ua-fb100t

It also has a 3200 x 1800 screen - which is very different from the 1366 x 766 that a lot of PC laptops come with.  That is reflected in the price though.  It's £850 rather than £450.

But then you have Windows, which is a crock of shit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    We're running down the full list of stupid things to argue about then?
    Guitar woods, now Mac vs PC.
    We just need another Brexit thread.

I just returned a 4k screen because it didn't have the clarity and crispness of my iMac's 5k Retina display.
    I wanted to run dual screen but just going to wait for the next Apple display to be released, might even be this year. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Gassage said:

A can of worms of course, but how can one get the horrible wishy-washiness on a PC display to look like the crisp, easy to read browsing and email screens of a Mac?

It's horrendous at the moment. I can't even read Cornish Dymo labels properly.

Should've gone to Specsavers.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Decent monitors are cheap, got hdmi socket on that laptop. External monitor, keyboard and mouse - just set to do nothing when you close the lid, sorted.
  • What's the laptop?

For what it's worth, a lot of MBP users have commented on how amazing the screen on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro looks. It helps, of course, that it's higher resolution than their paltry Retina display...

You and that bloomin lenovo! 
  • dindude said:
    But then you have Windows, which is a crock of shit.
    Bud seriously were not in 2010 any more! Windows has been stable for years, 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom