Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mac and PCs

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    edited September 2017
    notanon said:
    Decent monitors are cheap, got hdmi socket on that laptop. External monitor, keyboard and mouse - just set to do nothing when you close the lid, sorted.

External screen mouse and keyboard?

Why on earth would I want those when they're supposed to be in the bloody machine already?

It's like buying a guitar combo amp then bypassing the pre amp for an external preamp, ditto with the power amp and then using an external speaker cab!! Utterly pointless.

For functionality and daily use, PC's are dinosaurs compared to macs- close the lid on a PC with all your work open and it'll sit there pondering for a week with spinning wheels and safemodes everywhere. Mac is as stable as Buckingham Palace.

Mac will just stoically get on with it and be great in any environment- the Custom Shop Fender Tweed Twin to the PC's Marshall DSL1000 POS.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    dindude said:
    But then you have Windows, which is a crock of shit.
    Bud seriously were not in 2010 any more! Windows has been stable for years, 
    And Apple have been adding more and more bloatware.  Snow Leopard was good, but it's all downhill from there as far as I can see.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Well this is all going par for the course ........
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    octatonic said:
    We're running down the full list of stupid things to argue about then?
    Guitar woods, now Mac vs PC.
    We just need another Brexit thread.

I just returned a 4k screen because it didn't have the clarity and crispness of my iMac's 5k Retina display.
    I wanted to run dual screen but just going to wait for the next Apple display to be released, might even be this year. :(
    It's time for a Bigsby thread ... oh yeah!!

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Just tools for a job when it all comes down to it , surely ? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    sweepy said:
    Just tools for a job when it all comes down to it , surely ? 
    I'm pretty sure the tools are the ones arguing.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    So, Fender Jags- Staytrem or Mastery bridges - which is better?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24391
    @Gassage What is the make and model of the laptop mate ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    Emp_Fab said:
    A Dell. Core i5 7th Gen

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Gassage said:
    So, Fender Jags- Staytrem or Mastery bridges - which is better?
    Who cares?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    My mum's Surface Book has one of the best screens I've ever seen - 3000 x 2000 pixel 13.5 inch touchscreen and it uses scaling in Windows 10 to get everything to display the right size.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Gassage said:
    notanon said:
    Decent monitors are cheap, got hdmi socket on that laptop. External monitor, keyboard and mouse - just set to do nothing when you close the lid, sorted.

External screen mouse and keyboard?

Why on earth would I want those when they're supposed to be in the bloody machine already?

It's like buying a guitar combo amp then bypassing the pre amp for an external preamp, ditto with the power amp and then using an external speaker cab!! Utterly pointless.

For functionality and daily use, PC's are dinosaurs compared to macs- close the lid on a PC with all your work open and it'll sit there pondering for a week with spinning wheels and safemodes everywhere. Mac is as stable as Buckingham Palace.

Mac will just stoically get on with it and be great in any environment- the Custom Shop Fender Tweed Twin to the PC's Marshall DSL1000 POS.

Whoah just a suggestion mate. External monitor for better quality that's what the complaint was. Sell the f***** thing then. I use a Mac, my favourite OS is still a *nix though.
    @notanon If I sold it my work may press criminal charges.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, all you can do is check different screen resolutions and see if one is obviously better.
    This, some resolutions will be native to the video controller and look superb, others are approximations and look dire. Unless you've changed them it's likely to be a Windows default setting (which is dire). That's why bog-standard laptops are less than half what a MacBook costs with the Retina display and what have you - if you spent the same money on a PC laptop as a MacBook I don't doubt it would have a superb display too ....
    Given how overpriced Apple hardware is, you could probably spend 30% less than on a Macbook and get a superb display.  You will probably get a significantly faster machine for your money as well.

Budget laptop displays are pretty poor though.

It really isn't overpriced. I use both every day. Mac's are like Pete Cornish pedals- they just work sublimely well; Windoze machines are like Joyo Pedals- mostly crap but occasionally one does something well.

You've unwittingly made a very good analogy there - you're comparing products at the opposite ends of the budget spectrum, and whining that one isn't as good as the other.

Windows is an operating system. Microsoft doesn't make hardware specifically for it. There are thousands of 3rd party manufacturers who make hardware for every price point.

If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. Don't moan that your shitty laptop isn't a Mac.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Gassage said:
    crunchman said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Cirrus said:
    Yeah, all you can do is check different screen resolutions and see if one is obviously better.
    This, some resolutions will be native to the video controller and look superb, others are approximations and look dire. Unless you've changed them it's likely to be a Windows default setting (which is dire). That's why bog-standard laptops are less than half what a MacBook costs with the Retina display and what have you - if you spent the same money on a PC laptop as a MacBook I don't doubt it would have a superb display too ....
    Given how overpriced Apple hardware is, you could probably spend 30% less than on a Macbook and get a superb display.  You will probably get a significantly faster machine for your money as well.

Budget laptop displays are pretty poor though.

It really isn't overpriced. I use both every day. Mac's are like Pete Cornish pedals- they just work sublimely well; Windoze machines are like Joyo Pedals- mostly crap but occasionally one does something well.

You've unwittingly made a very good analogy there - you're comparing products at the opposite ends of the budget spectrum, and whining that one isn't as good as the other.

Windows is an operating system. Microsoft doesn't make hardware specifically for it. There are thousands of 3rd party manufacturers who make hardware for every price point.

If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. Don't moan that your shitty laptop isn't a Mac.
    I've got two macs. I just am lumbered with a PC.

And calling windows an operating system is a leap of faith. Unoperating System is far more accurate.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    dindude said:
    Hmm, not my experience. Every work Windows laptop I've had has within a year or two done something beserk, my current work laptop has recently decided that if I put it in sleep mode, when it wakes it now forgets how USB works so I have to shut it down / reboot daily. 

To add some balance however, I have found that OSX is getting buggier/less polished, still my preferred OS of the two, but it's not what it was. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    PVO_Dave said:
    dindude said:
    Hmm, not my experience. Every work Windows laptop I've had has within a year or two done something beserk, my current work laptop has recently decided that if I put it in sleep mode, when it wakes it now forgets how USB works so I have to shut it down / reboot daily. 

To add some balance however, I have found that OSX is getting buggier/less polished, still my preferred OS of the two, but it's not what it was. 
    Nail. Head. Exactly my experience of both systems.
  • See just 22 seconds of this video.. @ 1:35-157

he's not wrong is he? :lol:

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24391
    Gassage said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    A Dell. Core i5 7th Gen
    That's not the model.  I need the specific model number (or Service Tag as it's Dell, and I can look it up).  I'm trying to establish the native resolution of your LCD so you can ensure there isn't a mismatch with your graphics driver settings.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's like people comparing an iPhone with a sub £200 Android device rather than a Pixel
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom