Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New 20w Marshalls

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    6V6's, 20 watts, handwired 2204 topology, plus some useful mods:

http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/

I've had a few Ceriatone amps, and they were all decent sounding. I have had power transformer failures in two of them though.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Ceriatone transformers are rubbish, plus 6v6s don't sound like EL34s.

I get the impression that the Mini Jube is more impressive in head/cab format than combo, possibly down to the Greenback speaker as the amp was designed around the V30.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 203
    Twinfan said:

6v6s might not sound identical to EL34s, but cathode-biased EL34s don't sound exactly like fixed-bias EL34s either so I'd say either can be a useful approach.   I've no experience of the Ceriatone amps, but I have built a couple of DIY Marshall-ish amps, one with 6v6s in fixed bias and the other a standard EL34 50 watter with the same preamp and phase inverter, and I reckon the core tone is not wildly different between the two. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I've found 6v6 versions don't quite have the punch of EL34s, especially in the upper mids.  Each to their own though!
  • ICBM said:
    Duppy03 said:
    And from what I've heard, haven't Fender got this covered on Marshall behalf with 18/30 watt Bassbreaker
    I haven't heard that one yet, but if the Bassbreaker 007 is anything to go by... no. Horrible thing, all mud and no dynamics. Sounded worse than a Blues Junior.
    Totally agree

When I tried a bassbreaker 7 head the experience was a thumping wet fart. Noisy, bassy, flat sounding, no chime, no spank and utterly lifeless.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited October 2017
    Twinfan said:

I get the impression that the Mini Jube is more impressive in head/cab format than combo, possibly down to the Greenback speaker as the amp was designed around the V30.
    Yeah I much prefer it through a cab with h30/v30, I don't think I really like Greenbacks though, at least by itself in a 1x12 - raspy fizzy highs and papery loose feeling bass. Think I'm going to convert my combo into a head.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Twinfan said:

I must confess I've not tried the Jube in combo format but love the sound of mine through my Thornton Fastback 2x12..

That said my inability to budget successfully despite being a father & homeowner well into his 40s does mean it's probably for sale..