WTB - A pedal that makes my electric sound like a sitar!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    lento said:
    Trude said:
    lento said:
    As has been said, Ravish is the one.
    I tried one in a shop for an hour or so, but couldn't get anything anywhere near as authentic sounding as my Variax.  I found it always had this artificial-sounding pitch shift sound, a bit like a steel drum.  It's something I hear in most of the wackier EHX pedals  :(
    Agreed this sound is the definitive but not on the basis of the sample set I heard when I tried a goldtop variax I was thinking of buying.
    To my ears the quality varied dramatically from string to string and made me think the particular guitar that had been chosen was not the best - either that or the sample editing should have been better ... imho.
    My Variax is a Tele-transplant based on the 500 model.  I've not tried the later Tyler version.  

You can see me using it in this vid, from 3:00 onwards if you're interested:

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trude said:
    lento said:
    Trude said:
    lento said:
    As has been said, Ravish is the one.
    I tried one in a shop for an hour or so, but couldn't get anything anywhere near as authentic sounding as my Variax.  I found it always had this artificial-sounding pitch shift sound, a bit like a steel drum.  It's something I hear in most of the wackier EHX pedals  :(
    Agreed this sound is the definitive but not on the basis of the sample set I heard when I tried a goldtop variax I was thinking of buying.
    To my ears the quality varied dramatically from string to string and made me think the particular guitar that had been chosen was not the best - either that or the sample editing should have been better ... imho.
    My Variax is a Tele-transplant based on the 500 model.  I've not tried the later Tyler version.  

You can see me using it in this vid, from 3:00 onwards if you're interested:

That sounds great man! Looks like a good gig too!

I did consider a Variax at one point. 

I'll report back on the Ravish as I've bought it now!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    wayneirie said:
    its band of gold
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
    as in Freda Payne - band of Gold
    Don't recall any sitar on that
    It's 90%* sitar! 

*Maybe not 90% but the main riff is sitar and some bits behind the verses are.
    I kind of see it but it's quite hard to hear and I never previously identified it as a sitar (love the song though)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• wayneirie said:
    its band of gold
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
    as in Freda Payne - band of Gold
    Don't recall any sitar on that
    It's 90%* sitar! 

*Maybe not 90% but the main riff is sitar and some bits behind the verses are.
    I kind of see it but it's quite hard to hear and I never previously identified it as a sitar (love the song though)

It best be a sitar! I've just blown 140 notes on the pedal! Ha ha! 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    The "guitar/sitar" has a notched kind of phase sound and it could well be a Coral Sitar on the track - esp as in 1970 they would still be quite in vogue.
    On a strat putting one pickup out of phase may have been enough to fake it - some stats with an S1 switch have a setting a bit like that.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• The "guitar/sitar" has a notched kind of phase sound and it could well be a Coral Sitar on the track - esp as in 1970 they would still be quite in vogue.
    On a strat putting one pickup out of phase may have been enough to fake it - some stats with an S1 switch have a setting a bit like that.
    I've got a Tele with a 5-way switch that has a great out-of-phase sound that would be great for this.. :)
  • There is a thing Aziz Ibrahim does to make his guitar sound like a sitar with his fingers, I think he demoes it on the interview he did with Andertons...

...tum te tum...

...the little sequence from 4:50 where he does faux delay, wah and sitar:

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The "guitar/sitar" has a notched kind of phase sound and it could well be a Coral Sitar on the track - esp as in 1970 they would still be quite in vogue.
    I have a strat with an S1 switch. I'll have to experiment and report back! Thanks for the tip!
  • I've moved this thread from classifieds so it's not sitting at the top!

Which tele is this @robinbowes?
  • There is a thing Aziz Ibrahim does to make his guitar sound like a sitar with his fingers, I think he demoes it on the interview he did with Andertons...

...tum te tum...

...the little sequence from 4:50 where he does faux delay, wah and sitar:

I forgot about that video! It's great!

I may have to work on my technique to get the manual sitar sound down! Not sure if I'll be able to pull it off on a gig just yet!
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 848
    The "guitar/sitar" has a notched kind of phase sound and it could well be a Coral Sitar on the track - esp as in 1970 they would still be quite in vogue.
    You are correct sir, I was lucky enough to tour with Freda and was shitting myself about getting the sound right for this song, She told me in rehearsals it was a Coral Sitar and even told me Vinnie Bell played it.
    As far as I can see the Reefer pedal is meant to get the Coral sound whereas the EHX one is to sound like an actual Sitar.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I think the Variax is modelled on a Coral Sitar too.  

I had a quick attempt at the manual sitar thing last night on my acoustic.  It does sound good when you get it right, but yeah - it'd take a lot of practice to nail that reliably on stage, especially whilst pulling the obligatory Keef moves!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here

• Which tele is this @robinbowes?

This one:

It's this wiring:

• Which tele is this @robinbowes?

This one:

It's this wiring:

I thought it would be that one! Cheers for the wiring diagram - I love that stuff!