Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Classic Player - why get a USA standard?

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I'm quite vocal on the subject of the two post vs the 6 screw trem....

The two post is undoubtably smooth and very 'boing-y' for want of a better word. And that is its big weakness too. If you have a heavy right hand technique (I do) the two post system can 'chirp' with each hard down stroke - by this I mean that the action of plucking the string actually pulls on the bridge, pulling it forwards slightly causing a momentary detune and release. Jeff Beck can make this sound like angels giving you a BJ, but I make it sound like a squeaky fart.

I'd also say that the 6-screw bridge sounds 'bigger' and more open. (I'm waiting for 3TS to come wading in with some cod-science to prove I'm talking rubbish). Having converted a couple of two post guitars to six screw, it improved the sound *TO ME* and not just the lack of chirp. I've tried the Wudtone conversion bridge and that was... OK, aside from some iffy fixings/threads, but its not too difficult to do with some dowelling and a drill.

Each to their own - but having tried both, I really can't stand the two-post Fender trem.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14277
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^ ref @crunchman and @impmann comments above - tend to agree with above thoughts

Mentioned earlier that both Hank Marvin and Jeff Becks use a trem on most/many notes and favour a different system - Both can provide good tuning stability when set-up correctly and both can be a pain if not - Difference in feel as well as tone and hard to argue with either of the above hero's using a different set-up - Tonal difference as well yet Jeff uses a 2 point trem with modern block saddles (most are compressed metal filings not sure if any utilise a milled brass or steel saddle) but the CP Strat uses  vintage saddles still, so a slight tweak in the 2 point system as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    @impmann ; LOL for the 3TS reference.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    zepp76 said:
    crunchman said:
    I think it's been said above, but the Classic also has the vintage style 6 screw bridge rather than the 2 point trem of the Classic Player and US Standard.
    @crunchman Are there pro's and con's to either? I'm not really schooled in the differences of trems.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this subject, it's been a great help.
    I'm not really a trem user but IMO the original six screw bridge just looks right. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    edited September 2017
    zepp76 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:
    This thread is of great interest to me as I'm currently on the hunt for a 60th anniversary 50's classic player. How are the necks on 50's classic players? I'm hoping for a good thick baseball bat style neck.

Very comfortable soft 'v' neck with a 9.5" fretboard radius. Not a baseball bat, but not too skinny either.
    Thank you for that, it's a shame I can't try one out before buying. Is there a Strat still in production that has a similar neck? I could go to my local guitar shop and try one out if so.
    The roadworn one has a similar neck but 7.25" radius. I've fallen in love with the neck on the roadworn strat and I've been looking for something similar to put on my parts strat - the classic player 50s seems perfect (the 7.25" roadworn frets out a bit on higher bends) and there's nothing else with those specs. It's just so comfy, the best strat I've played.

The narrow radius is what puts me off most v profile necks, wish they did more with a soft v and flatter radius although maybe then it'd lose some of that magic? Doesn't seem like there are any aftermarket options for v and flatter radius either!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9681
    Aha, just found that the Jimmy Vaughan Strat has a 'v' neck, 9.5" radius board, and a 6-screw trem. Also a 50's style single-ply guard.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thanks to this thread my thoughts have been flipped upside down! My mind was made up with waiting for a 60th anniversary 50's classic player to turn up, but now I've had a wee look around at the 50's classic series and am loving the Daphne blue. The specs are good too, any reasons why I shouldn't go for it? I can't think of any!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9681
    edited September 2017
    Very nice guitars. I think the Daphne Blue and the Surf Green both look fantastic. Just make sure that the skinny frets and the 7.25" radius are right for you. If you bend strings a lot then a more modern neck may suit you better. One of those things that's an issue for some people but not for others..
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Just picked up a Classic 50's in Fiesta Red. Great quality, superb guitar. The radius and frets aren't an issue as my no 1 is a 52ri telecaster. 
    Well I've gone and done it! I've just ordered a Classic series 50's Strat in daphne blue, really looking forward to trying it out. I've also ordered the matching Fender daphne blue strap, got to have matching guitar and strap, I'm a bit OCD like that!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    zepp76 said:
    Well I've gone and done it! I've just ordered a Classic series 50's Strat in daphne blue, really looking forward to trying it out. I've also ordered the matching Fender daphne blue strap, got to have matching guitar and strap, I'm a bit OCD like that!

Buy one of these, and then you'll need to get a White Falcon to go with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10281
    Congrats on your purchase @zepp76 ;;

I used to have a Classic 50's in surf green.Really great guitar with.Not to everyone's taste but I loved the small frets and 7.25 radius.The neck was so comfortable.I sold it to fund my Les Paul Junior gas and it's the one guitar I truly regret selling.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    They are great guitars.  I got one of the limited editions that they did a couple of years ago. Mine's in Jetstream Blue (3rd from the right in the group shot).

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/fender-announces-new-special-edition-50s-60s-stratocasters/

crunchman said:
    They are great guitars.  I got one of the limited editions that they did a couple of years ago. Mine's in Jetstream Blue (3rd from the right in the group shot).

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/fender-announces-new-special-edition-50s-60s-stratocasters/

Very nice! That's a great colour you chose. I hope it plays as good as it looks.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    crunchman said:

Mine's second from right.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I received the guitar this morning and after a short play am smitten! I love the skinny frets and bends don't seem to be a problem with the fretboard radius. The colour is fantastic in the flesh, better than the pictures on the website. I have already banged the bloomin headstock on the ceiling when taking the guitar out of the bag so relicing has already begun, it was bound to happen at some point lol. I haven't had a chance to play it plugged in yet but I'm hoping for good things. Thank you to you all for the input on this thread it's been a great help and I believe I've made the right choice, oh and sorry to the op for hijacking his thread!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well there must be something in the air on here with these Classic Mexican Strats at the minute... 

This morning I received this CP 60s Strat as advertised here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112725/fs-fender-classic-player-60s-strat-sonic-blue-440

Still only has 5 strings so haven't really played it properly yet, but have high expectations from all the good things said on this forum about them!

If I think it's rubbish I'm blaming this forum for deceiving me!  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited September 2017
    Got a 60s CP'  12" board, BKP Irish tours, EJ mod,  Trem / tuning rock solid!  hard pushed to find better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    What's an EJ mod - Tone wired to bridge pup?
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Elwood said:
    What's an EJ mod - Tone wired to bridge pup?
    Basically yes! :) plus replaced the cap with a 1uF...... The tone cheers nitro with the bridge pup is a massive plus.