Talk to me about Suhr Modern Pro's!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Doesn't look like I'll need to though, looks like a regular Modern Pro would suit perfectly without the recess.
    With a caveat- if you want to pull up more than a tone on the G string then you will have to really crank the rear springs.

On resale- buy used if you can, Suhr suffers from poor resale, not as bad as Tom Anderson (another brand I have two of) but not far off.
    Yes, I agree, but they'd sell easier than some lesser known (equally amazing, I'm sure) brands.
    For sure but given the market right now I only buy guitars that I will be happy to own forever.

I'm hoping this will be the one, mate...fingers crossed! Will need to try it first.

@guitarfishbay it's probably a mixture of struggling with dialing in the Fractal at the moment, pickups, guitar and ear fatigue. But from demos I've heard, Suhr seems brighter. I've also compared a lot of demos with a few PRS demos and theres a midrange that seems inherent...that's no bad thing but it's putting me off at the moment. Custom 24 demos, I'll add, obviously.

Ive got Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats in there at the moment. 85/15s were stock, but way too loose and vintage for me.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've not tried the Cold Sweats.  But yeah PRS' have got a bit more of a midrange focus than something more strat like.  What amps and IRs are you using on the Fractal?  

Have you checked out Rocco Pezzin's YT channel?  He does a bunch of Hair metal covers with an Axe FX and superstrats, pretty killer player, singer he works with is pretty good too (and plays).

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    edited September 2017
    For sound, it is the pickups.
    The SSH's in the Suhrs are the same as a SD JB with a bit more top and gain.
    I've had JB in my PRS Custom 24 and it sounded pretty much the same.

It didn't feel the same though- that is the main difference between the two.
    A PRS is a blend of a LP and a strat.
    A Suhr Modern is a posh Ibanez, but awesome.
  • @octatonic a JB in you Custom 24 sounded pretty much the same as your Suhr? 

Thats interesting. Do you still have the PRS and which of the two do you prefer?

@guitarfishbay I'll have to check my Fractal settings tomorrow and will let you know, be good to get your advice on that. Thanks for the videos, I will definitely check them out, awesome.

• @octatonic also...sorry, last question, what pickups are in your PRS now, if you still have it?

@octatonic a JB in you Custom 24 sounded pretty much the same as your Suhr? 

Thats interesting. Do you still have the PRS and which of the two do you prefer?

@guitarfishbay I'll have to check my Fractal settings tomorrow and will let you know, be good to get your advice on that. Thanks for the videos, I will definitely check them out, awesome.
    Yes they did.
    I don't have that PRS anymore.
  • @octatonic ;Thank you, mate. Says a lot about the Suhr, that. I love my Custom 24, just a shame about it not sounding tight enough. Plays like a dream. May have to try a JB before jumping the gun, then! :-)

• A JB or even Duncan Distortion if you want really hairy treble might be worth a go.  Both are pretty good for hair stuff, I think Lynch used a Distortion a lot in Dokken
  • @guitarfishbay i hate pickups the most, costs a bomb cos you can't return them and I don't do electronics. I'll need to try them. What you got in yours, mate?

I mostly play my Forshage, then one of the Andersons, then the Suhr but that is largely down to the genres I play.
    Suhr are the most shreddy out of the guitars I own.
  • Buy pickups used and learn to solder.  Soldering really isn't that difficult and learning it will save so much money in the long run.  The common pickups (Duncan/Dimarzio etc) are on eBay or in the parts section on here all the time, if you don't like them sell for about what you paid and it's basically only costing you your time.  Once you get used to it pickup swaps don't take long at all.

Right now I have EMG 81/60 in my CU22.  Super tight but probably not the kind of sound you're after - more modern metal than hair metal.  I think you'll get on better with a passive for the crunchiness that's such a part of hair metal tone.

If I wanted hair metal I would be looking at Duncan Distortion, Duncan JB, possibly a Dimarzio Evo.  If you want tight and bright treble I'd look at the Distortion or Evo first, leaning more towards the Distortion for most crunchy.  The Evo is actualy quite an underrated pickup IMO, it sounds pretty good but is very picky with heights I found - has a very specific searing quality to it on the plain strings but isn't as outright bright and aggressive as the distortion - still tight though.  

The JB is also a classic hair metal and thrash pickup, if you wanted less of an aggressive sound but still something hot and crunchy the JB would be a good choice, and they're very easy to find being one of the most popular and common pickups around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^^ this in spades.
  • Buy pickups used and learn to solder.  Soldering really isn't that difficult and learning it will save so much money in the long run.  The common pickups (Duncan/Dimarzio etc) are on eBay or in the parts section on here all the time, if you don't like them sell for about what you paid and it's basically only costing you your time.  Once you get used to it pickup swaps don't take long at all.

Right now I have EMG 81/60 in my CU22.  Super tight but probably not the kind of sound you're after - more modern metal than hair metal.  I think you'll get on better with a passive for the crunchiness that's such a part of hair metal tone.

If I wanted hair metal I would be looking at Duncan Distortion, Duncan JB, possibly a Dimarzio Evo.  If you want tight and bright treble I'd look at the Distortion or Evo first, leaning more towards the Distortion for most crunchy.  The Evo is actualy quite an underrated pickup IMO, it sounds pretty good but is very picky with heights I found - has a very specific searing quality to it on the plain strings but isn't as outright bright and aggressive as the distortion - still tight though.  

The JB is also a classic hair metal and thrash pickup, if you wanted less of an aggressive sound but still something hot and crunchy the JB would be a good choice, and they're very easy to find being one of the most popular and common pickups around.
    Oh yeah forgot you had active pickups, mate, sorry.

Superb advice, thank you. My only concern with a JB is that it's super generic, but regardless, I'm after tight, crunchy and defined for palm mutes, I think it'll nail the tone in my head.

Superb advice, thank you. My only concern with a JB is that it's super generic, but regardless, I'm after tight, crunchy and defined for palm mutes, I think it'll nail the tone in my head.
    It isn’t generic, it is ubiquitous, and for a reason- it sounds great.
  • Indeed, and I agree. Generic was the wrong word perhaps. But you're absolutely right :-)

• octatonic said:

It isn’t generic, it is ubiquitous, and for a reason- it sounds great.
    Yeah I think it's natural to want to find something different and unique, but I find if a whole load of people are using the same thing it's probably because it works 
  • That's what I meant really. Why fight it if it works, innit! :-)