Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Tele options

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2401
    To find THE ONE you might need to play/own a hundred or so Tele's, I did....took a while.Had mine for 17 years now, its a old Custom Shop blackguard Tele but not one you like can find available today, the builder retired long ago. I guess the closest would be a Nocaster Tried plenty since, none come close to it....bit of a bugger really as its edging closer to a refret now and I was hoping to retire it....alas not. Tried all the usual suspects....Lentz, Callaham, Glendale, Hahn, GVCG, only a Rutters Tele escaped me. Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Any more Partscaster thoughts?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I arrived at my Warmoth La Cabronita Junior through a sequence of separate parts purchases. The result is a mahogany bodied monster in a hideous shade of green with a huge neck and a TV Jones pickup.

The upside is that this guitar is exactly what I wanted. 

The downside is that this guitar is exactly what I wanted. It is highly unlikely that anyone else would want my specification.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    A_T_W said:
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Any more Partscaster thoughts?
    Loads of Partscaster thoughts. What do you want to know? :)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2401
    Please don't go down the partscaster route.....you'll spend all your time on forums defending your bargain basement creation and if you put a fake Fender decal on it I will send the Correctness Police round to chainsaw it ;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I searched for a tele for years and strangely the tele tone I had in my head ended up being met by a thinline. It's maybe just me but I've noticed that big necks on teles make the best noise (technical term) and I've also found that teles, in my opinion, more than any guitar can be awesome on one amp and not so on another. I ended up buying the amp I had been playing the thinline through as I couldn't get the same tingle on any of my existing amps.

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious. Just what I've found

I've played two LSL T types and they were both cracking guitars. In fact, I've played three pine guitars and they've all been brilliant.

On that note, check out Novo's Serus T.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14506
    edited September 2017
    The_Whisper_Thief said:
    I've played three pine guitars and they've all been brilliant.
    Try old growth redwood. You'll love it. It's a way of life. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16118
    Nocaster or No Tele
    The tone is in the fat neck for sure
    50s buttersctch or sand Baja is as good as any other high end tele except Nocaster
    I have now Played 3 Rick Kelly Telecasters  :any serious tele person knows about these roughly finished 200year old pine teles with necks like telegraph poles ( not nocaster baseball bats )
    ...whilst I think they are ridiculously expensive for rough carpentry not luthiery they prove to me that the fat neck makes a big tone and resonance difference - He uses pine necks Without truss rods which he thinks kill tone therefore the necks have to be very fat to prevent twist: even in 200  year old settled timber
    Hard to play but they sound awesome
  • Just going to out a word on for vintage tokai teles. Have had 2 now and if you want an instrument that has really had a chance to 'set in' and feels almost vintage, then they are great. Slightly harder to come by in the UK but all the Fenders I've played have felt anaemic to me in comparison.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pia98jf said:
    I would try a CS Nocaster.
    Still the best Tele Ive ever played and owned

• If you can find one, the best teles I've ever played are K Line Truxtons. I have two, one of which replaced a really good Nocaster in my collection. They are incredibly resonant guitars with great necks. 
    This is spot on too.
  • I arrived at my Warmoth La Cabronita Junior through a sequence of separate parts purchases. The result is a mahogany bodied monster in a hideous shade of green with a huge neck and a TV Jones pickup.

The upside is that this guitar is exactly what I wanted. 

The downside is that this guitar is exactly what I wanted. It is highly unlikely that anyone else would want my specification.
    I would! I really enjoyed making my Esquire partscaster & am considering a new project. What you described is PRECISELY what I've been pricing up. (possibly except for the green). 
    Pictures! 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    +1 for a K Line truxton,  on the partcaster front, i wouldnt bother.  If i want an excellent guitar i like someone excellent to make and assemble it, dont really think partcasters cut it in the same way. IMO  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    +1 for a K Line truxton,  on the partcaster front, i wouldnt bother.  If i want an excellent guitar i like someone excellent to make and assemble it, dont really think partcasters cut it in the same way. IMO  
    You can assemble a partscaster then get it professionally set up. How is that any different from a builder assembling a guitar from modular parts? All factory made guitars are partcasters in that sense. The snobiness over them is nonsensical in my opinion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Israeli made Tele - TeleViv
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That could be sub-Stanshall. :)
  • It is highly unlikely that anyone else would want my specification.
    I would!  
    GRYTPYPE-THYNNE: "You silly, twisted boy." :)

stimpsonslostson said:
    What you described is PRECISELY what I've been pricing up. (possibly except for the green). Pictures! 
    https://i.imgur.com/VyYgO2I.jpg?1
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yes, a Tele is the best option.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    pia98jf said:
    mgaw said:
    You can assemble a partscaster then get it professionally set up. How is that any different from a builder assembling a guitar from modular parts? All factory made guitars are partcasters in that sense. The snobiness over them is nonsensical in my opinion.
    think you are underestimating the skills good builders have and also i prefer people who make guitars themselves from scratch.

Its not snobiness on my behalf @pia98jf i have had a few partscasters and base my opinion on that. K Line select the woods cut and shape assemble and sell, but within that process lies an awful lot of experience, knowledge, care and expertise...thats the difference

• mgaw said:
    pia98jf said:
    mgaw said:
    think you are underestimating the skills good builders have and also i prefer people who make guitars themselves from scratch.

Its not snobiness on my behalf @pia98jf i have had a few partscasters and base my opinion on that. K Line select the woods cut and shape assemble and sell, but within that process lies an awful lot of experience, knowledge, care and expertise...thats the difference

I'm not talking about luthiers who make the parts themselves by hand - that's a completely different kettle of fish and I agree someone who does this is likely (but not necessarily) to produce a product that is superior to anything mass-made in a factory. However, I don't thing the OP is searching for a guitar like this.  

I'm talking about factory built guitars like Fender etc.  The parts are mass produced and are designed so that any neck can be fitted to any body.  If you build a part caster you are not doing anything different from what the factory does when it builds a "genuine" guitar.  In fact, if you get it property set up you are probably going beyond what the factory does. Therefore, dismissing partcasters is nonesensical. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom