eBay problem number 5,000,000 - who's the arse here?

What's Hot
BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
edited September 2017 in Guitar
I sold a guitar which I'd had hanging round for years on eBay, it was very cheap (£140) , not in amazing condition but perfectly playable with no issues, and described as such. The buyer has just requested a return for 'defective or not as described' saying the 'he's taken it to his tech' and he can't get a low action at all without a lot fo fret buzz. Which is bullshit, but anyway, it's alll subjective, and it's only £140. Ive accepted the return and swallowed the small loss, I have also suggested to him that perhaps he was expecting a bit much from a 30 year old cheap guitar, at which point he has got somewhat shirty. Worth pointing out I had to chase him for payment in the first place so I'm guessing he just doesn't want it but  doesn't want to have to pay postage so has concocted this bullsht story abou taking it to 'a tech' Without putting too fine a point on it, am I being unreasonable to think this guy is a bit of a prick?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    "No problem Mr Customer, please can you provide the tech's report (a photocopy is fine) so I know exactly what the problem is, so the next buyer is fully aware"
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    He's more than likely being a prick,, but it's not worth the hassle of doing anything but accepting the return
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    He is a bit of a prick.  What trading reputation does he have on eBay?
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    No. You're not being unreasonable. Sounds to me like the guy is making out he knows more about guitars than he does. A fairly experienced player wouldn't expect such a guitar to be top notch. He just sounds like someone who's been on Google and found some key words.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Yeah, if you've had to chase him for payment then it sounds like he's got buyer's remorse.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2017
    RiftAmps said:
    "No problem Mr Customer, please can you provide the tech's report (a photocopy is fine) so I know exactly what the problem is, so the next buyer is fully aware"
    Wish I'd thought of that, alas communications have got too frosty to use it now. 

Cheers for the thoughts, started to wonder if I was being a dick about it. Just hope that when I arrives their isn't anything wrong with it which could delay me refunding him or upset him 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I love this expression 'taken it to his tech' to give the impression he is a professional or somehow has his own personal tech. Perhaps he is but unlikely. This owning a tech seems strange. Though I suppose you could say I am going to see my butcher.

I never say I have a tech. If anything in my house I will say I'll go and take this to Richard as that's the fella in the guitar shop nearby. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    Bidley said:
    Yeah, if you've had to chase him for payment then it sounds like he's got buyer's remorse.
    Perhaps the thing to take away is - If you have to chase for payment... don't bother. Esp. as eBay are always going to side with purchaser.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    JezWynd said:
    Bidley said:
    Perhaps the thing to take away is - If you have to chase for payment... don't bother. Esp. as eBay are always going to side with purchaser.
    To be fair, I was making the point that the slow payment coupled with the flimsy return request is a sign of arsery. Slow payment isn't always a problem (unless we're talking weeks and multiple emails).
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Yep he's a Prick...Blacklist him and give us all his ebay username so we can all do the same :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Never react to an ebay twat. It will have no effect on them. They won't think "Oh this seller's got a point, maybe I should change my ways". They will almost certainly think "This seller needs a lesson so now I'm gonna dick him around some more just because I can". You will lose. Every time.  Just do the minimum to cut your losses and walk away.  That is not what you feel like doing but it is wise.

Jesus said "Turn the other cheek" because he knew ebay twats would arrive one day...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • At best, sounds like his inexperienced mate (or himself) can't work out how to set up a guitar properly
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    Sounds like the buyer is just dicking you around. It could be that they've had buyers remorse, can't adjust the setup, etc. Either way, fighting it will just sap your energy. Take the hit on the chin and relist it on Gumtree. At least that way, you can get cash in your hand and the guitar is sold as seen. Fair amount on 'no shows' with Gumtree, but still better than evilbay. 
  • I cant be arsed to sell it at all now, people are such twats, Ill just keep it
  • as above

just too much potential for eBay buyers to complain and cause you lots of hassle
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657

eBay problem number 5,000,000 - who's the arse here?

Clearly, you are the arse.  

You chose to use eBay.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2017
    Maybe I am, but I didnt think too much hassle could possibly arise from a £140 quid sale - how wrong I was. He could gladly keep the guitar and the money if he'd allow me to come round and deliver to him a firm smack round the chops / wedgie. Ah well, youve got to have a dream I suppose
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Be grateful he's not charging you for his 'luthier's' fee, not that it exists.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited September 2017
    Remember, the customer is always a right!...

...in this case a right arse, a right dick, or a right ignoramus... 3

Image result for the customer is always right

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom