Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar recommendation

What's Hot

I’m looking for a recommendation regarding what electric guitar to buy.

I started playing guitar in my teens, I kept it up for a good few years and got to a half decent standard. Then I went off to college and my interests shifted to other things. Cut to ten years later and I’ve gotten the love back big time. I’ve been getting lessons on my acoustic for the past few months, I am progressing nicely and I’ve started looking at buying an electric.

Back in my late teens I was a die-hard Metallica and bought a LTD KH-202. I still have it but my musical tastes have move on somewhat so it doesn’t really suit what I’m into playing now. I’m into a lot more blues/rock music now….Rory Gallagher, Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix etc.

I’ve a budget of about €1,000 which could be stretched a little. Ideally I’d love a Les Paul Standard, I just love their tone, however with pending nuptials and a house build in the next year I can’t spend that kind of cash. So far, a second had US Strat seems to be top of the list. I like how they play and sound however my dislikes are that they can sound a bit ‘quacky’ at times and the tremolo, for which I have no want or need. I really dislike the look of the Tele so I’ve discounted them.

I’m in no way hung up on having one of the big brands. Primarily I’m looking for a good quality guitar (without a tremolo) that feels and sounds good. I will be using a Bassbreaker 15 Combo.

With that in mind, I’d love to hear your suggestions!

Cheers =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Try a Squier Tele.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS SE Custom or 245?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    You say you want a Les Paul but most of those names you mentioned aren't Les Paul players.  Rory Gallagher, Dave Gimour (Floyd),and Hendrix were predominantly Strat users, and from what I've read, Page recorded some of the Zeppelin stuff on a Tele as well.  If you like the sound and feel of a Strat then get one and don't use the 2 and 4 in between positions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hardtail strat. 3 way switch. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    If you love the LP then take a look at the Gibson Les Pauls around the £600/£800 level new....depending on what size neck you want............I got the 2017 les paul tribute T goldtop for about £600 new and it is superb...like you I wanted a standard but couldn't get up to the kind of money they go for which was around £1200 and above for sweet ones
  • Here's a hardtail strat, humbucker in the bridge for a vaguely les paul vibe, absolute peanuts.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170324309244001--squier-bullet-stratocaster-black-hss-hardtail

Good way to rule something out at the very least and the bullet strats seem to get good reviews.
  • Cheers folks, I didn't realise that there was a hardtail strat. Will look into them.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7084
    Welcome to the forum Ronan.

£1,000 is a healthy budget to play with, and you should easily be able to get a decent guitar for that.  As @Sparky has suggested, a PRS SE would be well worth considering and well within budget.  

You say you don't want a trem; remember that Hendrix used a whammy bar quite heavily, and it's really required for a lot of Floyd stuff.  It might be worth getting a guitar with a trem and, if you find you really can't get on with it, blocking it.  

Finally, for the artists you've mentioned it's worth budgeting for a few effects if not already sorted on this front; wah, fuzz, phaser, delay and reverb for starters.  
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Ah you got my hopes up. Just to confirm, there isn't a hardtail strat in the regular Fender ranges, is there? I mean, there's the Robert Cray strat, but that's a sig model with a squiggle on the headstock.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited September 2017
    timhulio said:
    Ah you got my hopes up. Just to confirm, there isn't a hardtail strat in the regular Fender ranges, is there? I mean, there's the Robert Cray strat, but that's a sig model with a squiggle on the headstock.
    they did a hardtail reissue in 2015, limited edition.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0170177300/solid-body-electric-guitars/fender-70s-hardtail-american-vintage-strat-in-3-tone-sunburst

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-USA-Hardtail-Stratocaster-Limited-Edition-10-for-15-/172861296756?hash=item283f561074:g:7EEAAOSwX7pZtree

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-USA-2015-Hardtail-Stratocaster-Limited-Edition-10-for-15-/182787462192?hash=item2a8efb5430:g:K7EAAOSw0K5ZyMg1

Was billed as AVRI but wasn't an accurate repro of a 70's strat. Forum consensus stated it was a essentially a hardtail American Special.

• a decent Les Paul Studio would fill that gap for you ;-) i know someone selling a really good one 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Go to your nearest guitar shop and try some stuff out?

Failing that have a look online at Andertons YouTube channel. The 'Sound like x without busting the bank' videos always throw up some interesting suggestions. Here's a couple to get you started:

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    Cols said:
    Welcome to the forum Ronan.

£1,000 is a healthy budget to play with, and you should easily be able to get a decent guitar for that.  As @Sparky has suggested, a PRS SE would be well worth considering and well within budget.  

PRS SE is a good call, prob around the £300/£350 mark........... I took the OPs budget to be Euros & as he is in Eire so nearer an £850 max to play with ?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    yep - of you just want a good sounding, playable instrument out the slip cover, with a more than reasonable build quality then the PRS SE range is your starter for 10. If you want a lucky dip then the rest...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • For that budget I'd either go with an LP Studio, or a top of the line Prs SE like this - https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SECRKBB/solid-body-electric-guitars/prs-se-chris-robertson-signature-guitar-in-kentucky-blueburst ;
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    You like Jimi, Floyd and Rory?

A Strat is always the right choice.  ;)

You can always block off the trem if you dislike it. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9730
    edited September 2017
    timhulio said:
    I believe that Fender make two Robert Cray Strats, the Custom Shop one at about £3,500 and a more affordable Artist one that may be within your budget...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14052616460938--fender-robert-cray-stratocaster-rw-3-colour-sunburst?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxonYmq_H1gIVQ7ftCh3gxQReEAQYASABEgL7q_D_BwE

Personally, I'd probably go down the route of blocking or not using the trem. Some here will disagree, but IMHO part of the Strat sound comes from the trem springs. Having seen Robert Cray live last year I'd say that his Strat has more 'punch' to it than a regular Strat.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Surely better to have a trem and not use it than not have one and one day want to? My SE Custom has one and I use it occasionally. Tuning stability is fine unless you are hanging off the strings.
  • As above, definitely look at strats - just because some switch positions sound quacky doesn't mean you have to use them. 

And I'd echo the "don't sweat the trem" comments. A lot of us have regular term-equipped strats but don't use them. It's perfectly valid :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires