Fiddling with a Baja Tele

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited September 2017 in Making & Modding
Thinking of putting some Gotoh 'In Tune' compensated brass saddles on my Tele. First up, has anybody tried these on a Baja, and do they work? Secondly, any other modding tips you would recommend?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NyoAAOSw9GhYeBFH/s-l500.jpg
* Photo courtesy of http://www.axecaster.co.uk
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Not speaking from first hand experience as I've yet to fit a set to one of my guitars, however the feedback from customers is universally great with plenty of repeat customers. This month I've sold twice as many Gotohs as the Wilkinson and slanted styles combined.
    (That's the pic from my ebay listing - if you decide to buy them, go to my store rather than ebay as it's a bit cheaper!)

As to other mods, it may be heresy but I'd ditch the S1 and 4 way switches, assuming a 50s model. Personally the extra sounds do nothing for me. Put the whole lot on ebay and replace with a CRL or OAK 3 way (or 4way if you feel so inclined) and you'll probably end up breaking even, if not coming out a little ahead. Those S1 switches are expensive and pretty fragile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • And if you do get rid of the S1, reverse the control plate.

You know it makes sense.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2017
    That's the pic from my ebay listing - if you decide to buy them, go to my store rather than ebay as it's a bit cheaper
    Great pic!

Can you put the price up a few pence, as I've got a £10 voucher if I spend £20 

How are those electro sockets?
    tFB Trader
    They're the dog's - plated brass and compatible with Switchcraft jacks.
  • I have a similar product from another manufacturer on an American Telecaster.

My modifying tip for any Fender Baja Telecaster is to buy it a body made of better wood.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    I put the Wilkinson compensated saddles on my Baja which worked a treat, just out of curiosity is there anything better about the Gotohs or is it two versions of the same solution?
    tFB Trader
    I've never done a comparison so not entirely sure. The Gotohs are probably a "better" brass alloy.
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strip that ugly poly off if the ash underneath is as good as this ;)
  • I have some on a Road Worn Tele and they work very well. I like the tone of them & they stop the strings from moving around on the saddle if you play hard. I much prefer the tone over the Wikinson adjustable ones.
    Strip that ugly poly off if the ash underneath is as good as this ;)
    Mine is a lovely white blonde FSR model, and the poly coating looks good as you can see a hint of grain through it. It is also a nice weight, so I'd be a bit reluctant to mess with that aspect of the guitar  :) Although I could see it being an option on the regular blonde Baja's.
    edited September 2017
    Guitarnut said:
    I have some on a Road Worn Tele and they work very well. I like the tone of them & they stop the strings from moving around on the saddle if you play hard. I much prefer the tone over the Wikinson adjustable ones.
    The only other compensated saddles I have looked at are the American Vintage ones made by Fender. They are more expensive and also don't have grooves, which I like about the Gotoh's.

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/bridge-assemblies-components/american-vintage-telecaster-compensated-bridge-saddles-brass/