NMD - AX8!

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2431
That’s right, New Modeller Day! Sold my Helix, and received the AX8 today, and a Yamaha DXR10 FrFr speaker to replace the two TS210’s I had...

And holy cow, what a difference. I don’t know if it’s just new gear day syndrome, but this thing sounds so much more alive and realistic compared to the Helix. The amp models are amazing, and the customisation options for amp nerds like me is just phenomenal. Loads of great usability features within the editor as well.

I compared the Silver Jubilee model to my actual valve jubilee, and they’re very, very similar - so very happy with that :)

On the down side, I’m used to editing directly within the unit, and it’s not very easy on the AX8 compared to the Helix....!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    I keep going back to my Axe-Fx after tweaking the Helix, it just sounds more natural imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
    FarleyUK said:
    That’s right, New Modeller Day! Sold my Helix, and received the AX8 today, and a Yamaha DXR10 FrFr speaker to replace the two TS210’s I had...

And holy cow, what a difference. I don’t know if it’s just new gear day syndrome, but this thing sounds so much more alive and realistic compared to the Helix. The amp models are amazing, and the customisation options for amp nerds like me is just phenomenal. Loads of great usability features within the editor as well.

I compared the Silver Jubilee model to my actual valve jubilee, and they’re very, very similar - so very happy with that :)

On the down side, I’m used to editing directly within the unit, and it’s not very easy on the AX8 compared to the Helix....!
    Yep, no denying that creating presets from scratch on the hardware is much more tricky on the AX8 than the Helix but it is pretty straightforward on AX8 Edit.
    Once the preset is set up, basic tweaks are quite easy on the unit though. Having the key "amp" controls sitting right there on top of the unit is very handy.
    Sounds terrific though and for me, that outweighs everything else.
    Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome, congrats.

As noted, most people do the bulk of their patch setup on the editor then it's not so bad tweaking on the unit as necessary (I'm on Axe FX 2).

I don't think I've ever tried the Jubilee. The Marshall I'm getting on best with at the minute is the #34 JCM 800.

From comparing Helix Native to my Axe FX I think the biggest difference is in the higher gain amps feel and tone. And choice too. The Helix sounds fine but I just get what I want from the Fractal so much more easily, I don't really use the advanced tweaks at all but there's plenty you can tinker with if you want!
  • #34 JCM800 is really great, my go to. 

Congrats on the new purchase, I completely agree with everything you say about the comparisons. It's night and day to me, but we have a lot of Helix users on here so it's definitely a case of different strokes for different folks.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2431
    Just dialed in the #34 JCM800, and I need some new underwear now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just wait for Q9, it's even better.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2431
    Just wait for Q9, it's even better.
    Q9....? What’s that?

Just purchased cablab as well, so I can mix the large amount of irs I have... although the ultrares cabs sound pretty sweet!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    Q9 is the new Fractal Firmware, in Beta at the mo
  • Yeah this is the current change-list in Q9 - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-9-00-beta.130981/

There hadn't been a FW update since May, not that there's a lack of stuff in there, but there's also a Darkglass B7K coming in the full release which I'm really looking forward to.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

*******************************************************************************

Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression.

Note that the Master Volume control will interact considerably with the Speaker Compression algorithm as will the Presence and Depth controls. Higher values of Master Volume will cause more virtual speaker compression.

Improved Delay block. Also reworked the Deluxe Mind Guy, Mono BBD and Stereo BBD delay models based on the improvements.

• I wonder what he's modelled the BBD on? I'd like to think it's not just a rehash of the DMM algo.

• No idea, it could be stuff learned from looking at the DMM, with regards to saturation etc. I've not had a chance to update yet, at this rate I might wait for the full release anyway.
  • Shouldn't be too far away. 

My only gripe with the unit is the lack of thought with effects. From memory, the DMM is the only modelled delay. The other algorithms are generic. Think it'd be great to see some real effort being put into that stuff, and other effects in coming FW. Good start with the DMM, sounds fantastic.

• Oh and the 2290, which is great.

• Well I think Cliff's philosophy with effects historically was 'here's a starting point and all the parameters you need to get almost any sound you want'. That works well for me, but I can totally see how more directly modelled FX could be helpful too, and things have been added or updated in the few years I've had mine. With some delays they are kind of generic by nature anyway, anything cleanish probably just has different tone/HP/LP options or modulation - you can get get that dialled in how you like rather than being stuck with what the manufacturer put on a pedal in terms of knobs
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited September 2017
    I'd love more flexibility with assigning the foot switches .. for me that's the only big problem with the AX8. Even things like Liquid Foot Jr can be fully customisable. That would make it so much more useful live!
  • Well I think Cliff's philosophy with effects historically was 'here's a starting point and all the parameters you need to get almost any sound you want'. That works well for me, but I can totally see how more directly modelled FX could be helpful too, and things have been added or updated in the few years I've had mine. With some delays they are kind of generic by nature anyway, anything cleanish probably just has different tone/HP/LP options or modulation - you can get get that dialled in how you like rather than being stuck with what the manufacturer put on a pedal in terms of knobs
    That notion comes from a good place, no doubt, but I sometimes struggle to dial in those things - being a person who knows quite a bit but not quite enough, maybe. Don't think I've ever got close enough to my old El Capistan, for example (although he'd never model that pedal). I did manage to get really close to the DIG though, that made me happy! :-) 

It's a good philosophy though!

Cliff's words last night "there's plenty of room for more models", so I'm not sure he's done with amps yet! Ha.

• dealmakerdealmaker Frets: 18
    edited September 2017
    Same reason I swapped over to AX8 - actually creating presets on the AX8 Edit software is a doddle - and then final tweaks on the unit are easy. Don't understand the fascination of trying to do everything on the unit itself when you can do it on a 27" monitor with a custom editor. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2017
    More models? Lol, hopefully he means more bass amps and pedals.There's 200+ guitar amp channels already!
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited September 2017
    Another happy AX8 user here....glad you're liking it.

Was using the JCM 800 for quite a while, but recently discovered the Friedman Small Box

Do you guys not find the 34JCM too shrill? What am I doing wrong?!
  • Nope, what cabs are you using?  It sounds awesome to me.